August 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
1st trip to CN ques.
This is our first trip to Jamaica and Couples (Nov.26th to Dec. 4th). I have been reading the message board and have gotten some good info. But wanted to ask some questions that I didn't see asked. Maybe you can help!!
1. Has anyone done the night snorkel? Worth it?
2. Are golf lessons included in the gold fees? We would like to learn while there.
3. Is the trip to Margaritaville, the same as Rick's? or do we pay to go to Rick's and see the rock diving?
4. Is it safe to walk on the beach during the day, or after dinner?
August 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I can answer 3 & 4 for you.
3.) No it is not the same. You need to arrange for transportation at the desk to go to Rick's. Rick's is located up on the Cliffs just a little beyond the town of Negril. Margaritaville is located just down from CSA a bit on 7 Mile Beach. If you are staying at CSA you can easily walk it. The catamaran takes you to Pirate's Cove they do some jumping there, but nothing like at Rick's. In my opinion, Rick's is a must do at least once. They have live bands, awesome divers, and it is a great setting to watch the sunset.
4.) Yes it is safe while it is light out, I would not do it after dark. At CN when you leave the property security will ask you your room number and when you get back they do the same.
Last edited by Mzambo; March 30th, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
August 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
3- ricks is on the cliffs in the west end and worth a trip Margaritaville is on the beach not far from CSA and considering this is your first time to negril i would save your Margaritaville trip for the airport when you depart...
Originally Posted by thelilone
for a more negril vibe check out some of the bars along long bar or out on the cliffs sit back buy a local a cocktail and listen to the stories
4negril is relatively safe keep you witts about you leave the bling at home. At night after 10 ish i would opt for a cab. We are from nyc so our perspective on safe might be a lil different then yours ...
August 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
You will love Couples Negril!! I can answer your first question, we did a night snorkel which was pretty cool, but there were to many people and everyone kept hitting into each other. I must have gotten kicked in the face about three or four times. It's worth it if there is only a few people.
August 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM
1. The night snorkel is awesome! We did it this past April from CN and it was well worth the $35/pp. You'll see sea life that you don't see as much during the day. The octopus are incredible, they change color to match whatever they are crawling around on. We also saw Barracuda and several blow fish. One blow fish was nearly the size of a basketball! Several people saw lobsters. Everyone has their own underwater light, which helps alleviate a little of the squeamishness. Sign up in advance, I believe they require a minimum of either 4 or 6 people. Enjoy!
August 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
The night snorkel is very, very cool! It was a little scary but really wonderful. We did the day time one too but we saw so much more at night. I highly recommend it.
August 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi there, we will be there from Nov 27 to Dec 5th. Hope to see you there.
Have not done the night snorkel or night dive (I dive). I assume you have been through the FAQ.
I would sign up for the catamaran sunset cruise as soon as you get there. After doing that, decide if you want to do Ricks. If you go to Ricks, I would walk across the street to an authentic Jamaican seafood restaurant for dinner. Ricks is standard tourist stuff. You will find it impossible to beat the quality of food at CN. It is great and vacation can be a no gainer.
For an offsite tour look at doing Mayfield falls. It is a half day trip through the countryside and is kinda like Dunns River Falls without the crowd.
Bring lots of 1 and 5 dollar bills for when you are off the resort.
A nice walk is to go North off of CN to a small public beach called the Office of Nature. Also check out Negril.com for more info on the area.
Have not golfed in Jamaica yet so cannot help you on the lessons question (never wanted to waste half a day doing something I can do at home) Want more info, send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
August 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Snorkeling is worth it! Been to CN a number of times and have gone each time. We have seen sea turtles and very large rays that we do not see during the day. Also, being in a boat at night you get a view of Couples and Jamaica that is wonderful.
August 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
1. We enjoyed the night snorkel and thought it was worth the extra $. Not rec. if you have never snorkled before. You should be comfortable in water and using a snorkel.
3. We walked down the beach to Margaritaville and other areas. It seemed kind of lame to us. I'm sure Rick's would be a lot more entertaining.
4. We walked down the beach at CSA and met a lot of "farmers" but felt really safe. We walked on the beach in front of the resort at night and felt safe.
August 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
We went night snorkeling a couple of years ago it was great I thought it was worth the money.
August 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks to all of you for answering! No wonder people keep coming back to Couples. The people are nice, and the messageboard is a big help!