I watched "No Reservations" and owe my review to "acranger," a member who regularly posts and responds to posts on the Couples website. Did anyone see the episode regrading Jamaica? I watched it yesterday and took notes on the facts (unique, typical, and interesting) that I discoved. You can decide if this is the type of tourist you would be!
1. Tony visited Kingston, not Ochie or Negril
2. Have you had Festival Fritters (odd shaped doughnuts)?
3. Kingston has Jerk chicken vendors (many) on the main strip
4. Tony gave tribute to the ever popular (my gosh I love them) beef patty that he believes cannot be duplicated) I tried to make some at home once...not a good idea mon!;)
5. The commercial break where I lived was for a resort ("The old British Empire!" as Tony stated in a good way!)
6. The cave Tony ventured into was referred to by him as, "The stupidest escapade of my career!" It contained 1,000's of bats, stray cats, and 2 inch sized cockroaches.
7. Have you visited a local fruit market such as the one in Kingston? I did twice, they did not mind that I was there, the inside was clean and neat, the outside had garbage everywhere, it was the same on the show. I remember feeling bad because I didn't buy anything. Most of the locals rent the space for about a week to sell their fruit, then return home.
8. Have you visited a public city beach? I have twice, once on a layover from a cruise. You had to pay a couple of dollars to enter and I felt safe but not like the beach at a resort where I felt more uninhibited. The second visit was at a free beach on a boat cruis from a resort. I was asked to stay on the boat because my two peice bathing suit was causing a stir. I looked around and everyone had on their clothes even though they were at the beach.
9. As Tony stated, the locals do not generally go to the beach except on Sundays...(No worries man, I am a tourist who will go to the beach everyday at my resort to fill the void!);)
10. Have you visited a prison in Jamaica or a dance hall? Tony did!
11. The Blue Mountain portion of the show made me want to go on the tour! (Rain in mountains for 6 weeks) Have you been there? Am I missing anything? I have not gone there nor to Appleton Rum/Y.S. Falls or swimming with the Dolphins. I have done Every tour except those 3!
12. Finally, if you are a Bob Marley fan, you are supporting the Rastafar movement to a small degree! Cool! though my relation to his music does not stem from Jamaica, it stems from my living room as a child, my mom played his music and cried when he died.
This is a light hearted review! I enjoyed the show for what it had to offer, even though I will forever love quality resort life (I'm on vacation and feel like it when I am there)!