What does "Resort Casual Attire" mean?
Since we have received dozens of questions asking to define "Resort Casual Attire", here are a few appropriate definitions - from Google:
1. Resort casual normally refers to polo style shirts, sundresses, linen pants, skorts, skirts, button up tops, nice shorts, and dresses. Nothing fancy, but not just t-shirts and jeans either. Do not wear cutoffs and tank tops for sure!
2. Resort casual attire is exactly as it sounds - clothing you would be wearing at a resort. This clothing should usually include something such as a nice khaki pant or shorts with a crisp, clean top.
3. Women's Clothing
• Women have several options when dressing to fit the resort casual dress code. A clean and pressed blouse can be paired with a nice pair of pants or a skirt. Neutrals such as black, gray, navy, brown and khaki are the most acceptable colors for pants. Skirts should be no higher than knee-length. Bold colors and prints are fine as long as they coordinate nicely with the rest of the ensemble. A casual dress or sundress is also a popular choice, as long as the dress is tasteful--not too short or low-cut.
• Men should wear a clean and pressed button-down shirt or a nice polo shirt. Paired with khakis or other quality pants, this creates a classic resort casual look. Light- and bold-colored shirts are acceptable as are subtle patterns. Jackets and sport coats are not needed.
4. Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,
We have been invited to a resort on Bermuda for some business meetings. There are several dinners and the dress code states: "Resort Casual" and "Dressy Resort Casual." Can you define and give examples of what my husband and I should wear?
No Fashion Sense
Dear No Fashion Sense,
Invitations with the term, "resort," indicate attire that is a cut above very casual clothes. So, avoid jeans, flip flops, camisoles, t-shirts, and short shorts or very short skirts.
Resort wear appropriate for men and women are "country club" type clothing. Since the invitation is for dinner, then evening resort attire for men would be nice slacks, polo shirts, button down shirts, nice shoes or sandals, with the option of wearing a sport coat. For women: nice pants, skorts, skirts, nice top, casual dress, sundress, nice sandals or casual shoes. The length of the skirt or dress is knee length or longer.
Daytime resort attire includes the same clothing suggestions as evening resort plus nice shorts can be worn as well.
Chief Romance Officer and Senior Vice President