Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thinking of making the switch.. to Couples

Hello everyone,

My wife and I(of 4 months) spent our honeymoon in ocho rios this past May and LOVED JAMAICA! We are returning for our 1 year anniversary and had pre-booked a vacation with S. We loved the resort and amenities. However, I have been told couples resort is better and a little less pricey. So, my question for you couples resort repeaters is. What do you love/like about them? Which is your favorite? Also, what is the scene like? A bunch of 18yr old couples running around or more mature twenties and beyond? Thanks so much!

Mike
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; September 15th, 2010 at 11:23 PM.

What we loved about CSA is it isnt another mega resort, with a huge pool on the beach. That quality of service isnt basic on room category. The service is the best we have ever had. Raul you rock! And NO TIPPING means no tipping. The rooms are not fancy but feel Caribbean, and the veranda is wonderfully huge. Stay in the Atruim and enjoy your own hamock. You only need to make reservations for 2 of the restaurants And you can eat at all restaurants as many times as you like. The ages span from 20's to the 80's plus. If your looking for romatic, laid back, place that caters to couples your looking in the right place.

Couples is....paradise!

Aside from the awesome food, fabulous staff, incredible resorts...we love Couples because there is NO class system. It doesn't matter what you paid, everyone gets the same class of service, no one feels left out.

We also love the small boutique style resorts. We have been to all four resorts and at each one you can feel very special and feel like a couple and not a room number.

There are SO many things that Couples does right it is hard to name them, but...just as the Jamaican slogan goes...once you go...you know...give Couples a try, you won't look back.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

After finding Couples nine years ago, when we brought our daughters wedding/moon to then Couples Ocho Rios (now CTI), we haven't been anywhere else. Check each of the resort sites to see the differences in appearance. The feel, the staff, the food and drinks and the individual pampering will be at each one. THAT is Couples signature! I don't make promises easily. I promise you go ,you WILL know. We leave for CN in 22 days. Next year, it will be back to CTI. Gives us the feel of both sides of the island. Book it - you won't be sorry!

After finding Couples nine years ago, when we brought our daughters wedding/moon to then Couples Ocho Rios (now CTI), we haven't been anywhere else. Check each of the resort sites to see the differences in appearance. The feel, the staff, the food and drinks and the individual pampering will be at each one. THAT is Couples signature! I don't make promises easily. I promise you go ,you WILL know. We leave for CN in 22 days. Next year, it will be back to CTI. Gives us the feel of both sides of the island. Book it - you won't be sorry!

We love Couples because of the laid back, relaxing atmosphere. We have only been to CSA and we have been there 4 times. We are going to CTI in 20days and can't wait. Couples resorts are small and intimate and you are treated like royalty. I love that all the rooms are fabulous from the garden view to the beach front veranda suites. You won't see anyone in a fabulous cottage when you are in a small hotel room because you could not afford the expensive concierge cottage. Try it and you will be convinced.

I think most people like the Couples Resorts because of the real caring service they get. Also, there is so much included in your stay AND no tipping is allowed. The vibe at CSA (the only one I've been to) is very laid back and relaxing. The beach is beautiful. I have never seen a more pristine beach. You can snorkel, water ski, kayak, and the list is endless of things you can do on the resort that cost you nothing. The sports facility is the best on the island.

As far as ages....it's definitely not party central with young people running around. At CSA there was all ages of people. Young honeymooners all the way to older couples celebrating anniversaries.

Unless you thought the S resort was perfect, please give Couple a try. You won't be disappointed and you'll get to experience another part of Jamaica. I would recommend trying one of the Negril resorts since you have already been to Ocho Rios. Good luck deciding. You are going to love Couples. We are going back for our second time to CSA is less than two weeks!!! Yay.

We've been to CN and are returning in 55 days! We spent our 25th anniversary there last year. We have travelled and stayed at other
    AIs in Mexico, Cuba and Jamaica. CN was by far the best....what we liked the most....the food, the red flag service, the amenities, the staff, no tipping....pretty much everything. We did not see alot of 18year old couples...more mid-late 20's up through to 50's 60's. You won't regret CN. Be forewarned....it will spoil you for other resorts, however.

What is there not to like about Couples! We LOVE couples swept away in negril and will be returning for the 3rd time in April. The beach is AMAZING, the new spa is completely relaxing and there is a HUGE gym with lap pool if you wanna workout on vaca. We love the staff there they are top notch, the beach, the restaurants and I like the fact that there are no hallways each room is "villa" like and each room has a HUGE verandah.

The resort is spread out and we have been there when the resort was at capacity and you would never know it. The nice thing with couples is EVERTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is included. It's not as pretentious as the S resorts there is no marble or butler service but with the amazing staff and food and inclusions who needs that!

We are in our thirties and went to CSA for the first time in our late 20's for our honeymoon there is a WIDE variety of ages at couples from 20's to 80's it is not hedo and it is not crazy party time but it can be if you want it to be (there have been some crazy times at the swimup bar with bob marley's, LOL), and it is not a geriatric shuffle board resort either. There is a great mix of ages and people you can choose to join in and meet people or you can keep to yourself and your significant other. Give it a try I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would try the Negril area if you have already done the Ocho side of the resort, it's different.
    Erika & Sean

We have been to several S resorts and just got back from our first Couples trip (CSA). If you like S, you will like Couples. They are very similar in terms of what is included, the age range and the entertainment. Like the S resorts we've visited, there isn't a huge amount of night life, which is fine for us because after a day in the sun, we tend to go to bed early anyway.

One thing I noticed about Couples is that seems a little easier to make reservations for things, like dinner. Also, S seems to be focusing now on their conceirge and butler rooms. As someone else mentioned, at Couples there is no distinction. I liked the little perks at Couples, like the cold washcloths on the beach, robes and umbrella in the room.

Both resorts are focused on couples so are romantic. We loved the bonfire on the beach at Couples.

Definitely try CSA in Negril. They have the most beautiful sunsets. And you can't get closer to beach anywhere.

IMO, because Couples is designed around a romantic vacation, you don't have to worry about the "party" atmosphere. I think if there are wedding groups, it might be a bigger issue, but most are respectful of the other guests. Even though it is all you can drink, you don't see most people getting drunk and carrying on...not conducive for romance later There are always exceptions...but at Couples it does REALLY seem to be the exception. Being with your SO, in a romantic, beautiful place seems to bring out only the best in people!

We have never been to "S".. luckily when we planned our honeymoon 7 years ago we had an amazing travel agent that recommended Couples to us. We have not been able to anywhere else since. So it is hard to compare the two, but going off of what other say I have heard the food is a big difference and that the food at Couples is much better along with the service. I have no desire to go to S because I don't think they could ever hold a candle to Couples. I think it is not as commercial and it has a more subtle feel. It is not the spring break kind of atmosphere and it had people of all ages. The summer time of course you might see more of a younger crowd because there are more wedding and honeymooners, but that is why we like to go the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. It seems to be a little more laid back. You can party when you want but its not in your face.
    So i would suggest trying it and then you can decide for yourself. If Couples is not for you then you know.

Hey...

We will be returning Home for our 7th straight year to CSA prior to that we went to 3 different S resorts and for us CSA beats them all. It starts with the staff that makes you feel special. We like to run in the mornings and at CSA it is located on the 7 mile beach where you can enjoy a great run or walk. We have made some great friendships at CSA with people across the country. Try CSA and you will become a repeater like us.

Just 211 days till we return Home to CSA !!!

Chris & Paul

The huge difference between the other AI resorts and Couples is just that, it's geared for couples. The island simplicity of the surroundings and the smaller, cozier laid-back feel is what appealed to us most. If I want marble & highrises and elevators and line-ups, etc. I'd stay home in the city

Thank you all so much for the responses. We are really considering Couples. My wife only has 1 hang up. She loved her 3am room service haha and it seems that Couples resorts do not offer room service. We stayed in a butler room for our honeymoon and as it was impressive and fun. We didnt really take advangtage of it.

We were just like you in 2008. We went to the S resort (the one that just closed in Ocho Rios) and thought it was great. It was our first trip to the Caribbean in 20 years ( had a disastermoon in the Bahamas)
    I talked to a lady on the plane coming home who had just been to Couples and she was raving.
    I spent a ton of time on Trip Advisor and the Couples Message board learning all I could about Couples. I did a major sales pitch on DH and convinced him that we should try Couples. All he kept saying was "it can't be as good as S"
    hmmmmm
    Since then we have spent 4 weeks at Couples, visiting 3 of the 4 properties. Our vacation for January is already booked, 1 wk at CSA and one week at CSS.
    Here are the big differences we have found....

The food is better
    The service is better
    We love the rooms, not hotel like.
    Many excursions are included.
    The message board is great! We had golf dates arranged and new friends before we even got to the resort!

Now, here are the things you don't get at Couples but DO at S:

The logo in your face all the time, even at the bottom of the pool!
    Spa ladies trying to sell you products and services while you are trying to relax!
    Loud entertainment people with mega phones around the pool!
    Getting bumped from your dinner table by someone with a butler.
    Being reminded about the "soon come back desk" everytime you went to the front desk. I prefer it when a resort is concerned about the vacation I already paid for, not the next one!

Needless to say, DH now says "nowhere can be as good as Couples!"

If you are not convinced why as to why Couples is the best resort chain in the Caribbean then you should check out the August edition of Travel and Leisure magazines top 25 resorts in the Caribbean. CTI, CSA and CSS are # 4, 5, and 6 but are actual 1,2,3 if you are only considering all inclusive resorts that you can actually afford to go to. The readers have spoken and in this case they are right on the money
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne View Post
    Hello everyone,

So, my question for you couples resort repeaters is. What do you love/like about them? Which is your favorite? Also, what is the scene like? A bunch of 18yr old couples running around or more mature twenties and beyond? Thanks so much!

Mike
    .....No Yard Apes, NO Tipping.

I don't think I saw anyone under mid 20s when we were at CN last November. There seems to be a good mix of ages.

couples doesn't have room service at 3am but the Grill is open until 5am you can just get something there...
    Erika & Sean

You can't go wrong with Couples! As so many have already have said, they offer great food, great service and such a laid back atmosphere! Not to mention the off site trips and all those water sports... CSS also offers 24 hour room service. We have been to CN and CTI twice each and CSS once with our second visit in November. We have met so many people on and off site, that Jamaica is almost like our second home!

Go ahead, make your reservations, you will NOT be disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne View Post
    Thank you all so much for the responses. We are really considering Couples. My wife only has 1 hang up. She loved her 3am room service haha and it seems that Couples resorts do not offer room service. We stayed in a butler room for our honeymoon and as it was impressive and fun. We didnt really take advangtage of it.
    I am a self-professed room-service junkie. That said, I REALLY do NOT miss it at Couples. For whatever reason, I am totally willing to stroll to the nearest bar/restaurant and get whatever I want. Or in case of emergency, send my husband there instead. Which he is always more than willing to do. And all the restaurants/bars are more than happy to make you a to-go plate to take back to your room. Just watch out for the ants on any remaining food left behind.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

We originally booked "S" (the one that just closed) and they cancelled our reservation. We then rebooked with our travel agent to CSS and can't imagine a more perfect vacation. We absolutely LOVED it, lived at SSB pretty much the whole time and wondered why we hadn't done it before.

This week the original "S" sent us a comp certificate to come back on them for a free week since they had to cancel our vacation due to the sister property closing. So it's a free week back in Jamaica - we just have to get there. *That* is really hard to pass up. However, we aren't party people for the most part and like so many, felt like SSB was our new home and are thankful "S" closed or we would have never gone to CSS.

We are always open to new experiences so we will have to keep an open mind and try not to compare everything to our beloved CSS.

Anyway, am I crazy to have a strong desire to just forego our free trip to "S" and pay for the same week at CSS? Yeah, probably. lol For us, we just can't imagine "S" making us as happy or happier than how we felt at CSS. So the free trip is still up in the air...but maybe we'll have to make our vacation 2 weeks so we can come home to CSS.

BTW, loved the room service at CSS. Had it one night for dinner and once for breakfast. We were also in the A block, just a very short stroll to CSS.

All I will say is once you go Couples you will never go "S"..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Going back to Couples for our second time in November. Everyone is so spot on when they say "Once you go, you know." We went to CTI the first time in 2008 and promised each other as we were leaving that we would return. I cried all the way back to the airport. This time we are trying CSA and we can't wait. It was a rough past year for us (as my husband was on stike for 1 whole year) and now that they have settled we couldn't and WOULDN'T think of going anywhere but to a Couples resort. Forty-eight days and we will be HOME!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast