Default Cash, Credit, or Debit

Do I need to bring cash for all out-of-pocket expenses at CTI or will shops accept credit and debit cards? I'd rather save the cash for small items and use plastic for trips into town or off-resort activities.

If cash, will US dollars work or do I need to change into Jamaican dollars?

If Jamaican dollars, do I convert in the U.S. or at the airport in Jamaica?

Couples Resorts have gone cashless. All resort purchases are charged to the room (but not tips for, for example, spa employees or the catamaran staff), and the balance is paid at check-out. We pay by credit card.

There is no need to convert your money to Jamaican currency. U.S. currency is accepted everywhere. We're leaving for Jamaica next Friday (and can't wait!) for our 18th trip to Jamaica and Couples. We have never converted our cash to Jamaican currency and have never encountered a situation where we wished that we had.
    Last edited by Pamela; September 15th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Bring small bills. If you go on the shopping trips or the gift shops on the off-site tours, they accept US$, but you will get your change in Jamaican $. We even got Jamaican back as change at the airport.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

US money is not only accepted, it is preferred. I always "cash stack" 1's and 5's before we go. We give $1 per bag handled at the airport (skycaps), $5 to the bus driver if he drives safely, $20 to the Timair pilot, etc. Any craft items bought from locals is cash, and if you have small bills you can negotiate better. And like the other poster said, you may not get your change back in USD, so you are better off with a lot of small bills.

Be careful using your credit cards. Make sure the credit card company or your bank know that you will be using it out of the country. We did & were notified by our bank that somebody had used the credit card to buy gasoline in Jamaica one week after we got back.

Thanks. I understand the need to have small bills for off-resort tipping but what about activities such as going to Dunn River Falls or having massages at the resort? Wouldn't these kinds of activities accept credit cards, too, and reduce the need for cash? What about buying clothing off-resort? Cash or card?

So any of the resort extras can be billed to your room and subsequently paid via credit card at check out? Does that include Spa Services, jet skis, and excursions?

Did couples really go to credit only. Does that include the spa. How much spare money do you usually bring

I highly suggest NOT using your credit card off property, but to take cash with you. We usually charge our room charges to a credit card, but we always take cash with us to purchase items off property. We've had our numbers 'lifted' and it is just safer to do it that way.

As for charges at the resort: anything you purchase from the stores are charged to your room as well as spa treatments, private dinners, special bottles of wine, photos. You can pay your hotel bill in cash instead of CC at the end of your trip.

Jet Skis are not part of the resort and are from beach vendors. All dealings with beach vendors will need to be done in cash.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

we'll be at CSA oct 9th, are debit cards okay?

All of the resorts accept Debit/Credit/Cash for paying your bill at the end of your stay.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thanks, was a little worried because the only credit card I have is Discover and that one isn't accepted. 19 days and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by tad View Post
    Do I need to bring cash for all out-of-pocket expenses at CTI or will shops accept credit and debit cards? I'd rather save the cash for small items and use plastic for trips into town or off-resort activities.

If cash, will US dollars work or do I need to change into Jamaican dollars?

If Jamaican dollars, do I convert in the U.S. or at the airport in Jamaica?
    .....For things purchased with in the resort, it will be from your credit card. They get this when you check in.

You will need some cash as tips for the Luggage Handlers, Drivers, and outside excursions such as the Catamaran Cruise. NO tipping for Resort Staff. US Dollars are always welcome.