Default How much are cigarettes?

Honeymooning at CSA in a few weeks. I make my own cigarettes but am not dealing with customs on that. How much are cigarettes in Jamaica?

expensive from what i remember. you are allowed to bring 1 carton with you. we bought a pack a year or two ago and the Kools and Marlboros were manufactured in Venezuela. tasted a bit different.

Randy

$10 per pack at the CTI gift shop!! We brought our own, packed them in our checked baggage and had no issues with customs at all.

Expensive unless you get them (cartons) at the airport. Bring them with you (not the ones you make)
    Dianavr

Good question! My husband is a smoker so, I interested to know if we should bring them with us or are they inexpensive at the resorts?

I do not smoke but i travel witha couple that does and before we go to jamaica they go in the duty free store at the air port and buy them. You can purchase things if yo are traveling overseas at the airport duty free.. maybe the airport you are flying out of has one.

3 packs for $20 on CN beach.

Yeah the ones they sell are not your typical Newports, Marlboros and what not. They are that brand or at least in the same design boxes just made elsewhere. My friend bought some from a guy on the beach and said they were ok, but not the same.

they are expensive. We usually take 2 cartons. IT will usually last us the week. Sometimes we have to buy a pack the day we leave. I am hoping this year we only have to take 1 carton if any. I have started Chantix and hope to be free from smoking in about 2 weeks.

$10.00 per pack and they do run out. Bring your own if you can. Use theirs for emergencies. Very limited brands too.

Hi Folks. Is that $10 US Dollars or $10 Jamiacan Dollars a pack, if so that is more than our expensive packs here in the UK !!

Nessy, I'm pretty sure that's US Dollars.

And, to echo what's been said here and elsewhere, I know firsthand from working with a certain major tobacco company that the "export" version of a cigarette brand is not the same as the US version. In short, a Jamaican Marlboro will not be identical to an American Marlboro (or any other brand).

Nessy...what a smile your question put on my face !

Fair enough question though about the currency.....the $10 would be US dollars as ten Jamaican dollars will only buy you five pieces of bubble gum. I smoke the local menthol cigarette (Mattahorn) and those cost J$550-J$600 depending on where bought. The US value of this amount of Jamaican dollars currently would be between $6.50-$7US.

Default Cigarettes Question

You want to buy your cigarettes in the USA duty free BEFORE you leave for Jamaica. They will cost you about $25.00 US or about $120.00 for a five carton box. Firstly, you may be stopped at Jamaica customs as legally/theoretically you are only allowed 200 cigarettes per traveller ( 1 carton per traveller ) to bring into Jamaica. I have found that Jamaican customs is very lenient/polite on questioning the amount of cigarettes you bring in. Once or twice I was asked to take one carton with me while I was in Jamaica and they would check the other four cartons at customs and not allwow them to pass through. You can then show them your claim ticket when you are leaving Jamaica and they will bring the balance to you when you are returning to the USA. More often than not, I have been able to bring the 5 carton box through customs and to the resort. The reason you want to BUY the cigarettes in the USA duty free if at all possible is that the Jamaican USA brand cigarettes are made in Switzerland or Venezuela with EU/SA tobaccos and of course the ones you get in the USA will be from Richmond, Salem, etc...in other words USA tobaccos. The European tobaccos are much stronger than we are used to, and your brand may not taste at all what you are used to from cigarettes purchased in the US. The same holds true with duty free purchases made in JA for return to the USA...These will NOT be USA tobaccos, and may taste "different" to you. I know they do for me...I hope this information was helpful, but when it comes down to it, You will be in Jamaica... No problem mon.

For real?!? Smokes are only $25 a carton? Say it ain't so. Headin to Jamaica in November, and got stuck there before buying cigs from the gift shop. Damn near took us broke.

Default Duty Free Smokes

I'm sorry but you have to forgive my somewhat advanced age..over 50 LOL I believe on our last trip ( Nov. 2009 they were about 30.00 usa per carton or approximately 150.00 or so for a 5 carton pack of Marlboro Red box. We have been travelling overseas for some time now and I tend to forget ( in my favor naturally because my wife doesn't smoke) the LATEST duty free cost of cigarettes. I remember one of the first 5 carton boxes that I bought while leaving the USA to go to Europe cost about $75.00 US for a 5 carton box or about $18.00 US for a carton.... Of course I'm also old enough to remember vending machines selling Lucky Strike and Camel for $.25 per pack, and filters like Marlboro were $.29 and they would tape a penny to the pack as you couldn't put a penny in the machine and would have to "deposit" $.30 cents.

Do people think there is a problem with customs if we bring through hand rolling tobacco into Jamaica then? I note the OP's comment and it hadn't occurred to me that there might be an issue with roll yer own. Any comments?

WOW I guess it doesn't matter where I buy them as long as its somewhere else, seeing as its $12-13/pack here.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Gypsy View Post
    Nessy...what a smile your question put on my face !

Fair enough question though about the currency.....the $10 would be US dollars as ten Jamaican dollars will only buy you five pieces of bubble gum. I smoke the local menthol cigarette (Mattahorn) and those cost J$550-J$600 depending on where bought. The US value of this amount of Jamaican dollars currently would be between $6.50-$7US.
    I have not idea !! Have never been to Jamaica before !! lol, which is why I ask stupid questions !! lol