Default Want to go 'au naturel'? It is no big deal.

Having just returned from Couples Tower Isle (CTI) where we went over to the nude Tower Island several times during our stay and where it was the second nude beach stay for us (with the last being 27 years ago when we were in our mid- and late 30s), it was such a joyful experience for us who are now in our 60s.

Having read all the questions on this 'Au Naturel' (the correct spelling) board, I feel I should say that the fears many have will be seen to be unfounded once they try going AN.

When we went to another Caribbean Island first where the resort was clothing optional but the beach was nude, we did not hesitate for a moment once we hit the beach to take everything off and enjoy the experience. The same went for CTI last month.

I have read about people wanting to have "liquid encouragement' before taking that plunge. To this I say: there is absolutely no need for that. We saw a woman who had too much of such encouragement before going to the island and while there that she passed out. Apparently, the embarrassment was too much for her that she and her companion never went back over.

When we went on the first day (the morning after we arrived), we found loungers near the tower (slightly to the right) as we walked up the walkway, and we stayed there since we did not see the need to go further right. Someone on his was to the bathroom stopped to talk to us and we had a pleasant conversation while we were getting undressed, but we did not feel awkward.

The next day, one of the regulars to the 'island' introduced himself to me at the bar, then called his wife over and we struck up a conversation. We all met several other times over at the resort.

The new friendships on the island helped when we did the 'trading places' day at Couples San Souci (CSS). It allowed for us to have a better time there. Even some of the CSS people in the AN pool area were so friendly. Some of us got into the hot tub with the CSS people and we had good fun and good conversations. It was a great experience that day.

To those who are worried about grooming, I'd say this: You can have all, or you can have none; it is your preference and no one cares. While it is true that most people will be bare, many others will not be.

Here is my observation based on our time there; and I hope this will be taken in the way it is meant to be: We found that while the Caucasians were mostly bare or nearly bare, those of African stock (Afro-Americans; Afro-Caribbeans; and Afro-Jamaicans) were not, in the main.

I do not believe in altering my style to be in keeping with others and I commend those who were in the grooming minority for remaining as they were.

As a matter of interest on this topic: when we went to our first nude beach in 1987, almost no one was shaved. However, somewhere around the mid-1990s the idea of taking it all off gained currency with a 'Smoothie' movement in either Holland or Germany and continued to the point where many have embraced the style; but there are many others who do not.

Therefore, do not worry about other people's preferences; go with yours and what you feel comfortable with, as opposed to feeling that you must do what others are doing in order to conform to their norm and to 'fit in'.

The other questions on the board are about whether one must put something on in order to go to the washroom; or whether one can reapply sunscreen where one is lying; etc.

Again, no one cares. People walk up and down to and from the washroom all day with not a stitch on. In our time on the island one couple who had never gone AN before found loungers near to the pool (where the action is); and while the wife appeared to be a bit timid on the first day, she lost all of that by the next morning and fit right in as so many others do.

On the subject of body types and body issues. We saw all types and no one batted an eyelid. Whatever you feel is wrong with your body that you are hesitant to expose it can be corrected instantly once you get to the AN area and see the others who are not ashamed of theirs. I gather that at times you may see someone who has had a mastectomy. You will certainly see all kinds of surgical scars.

My advice to you, therefore, is: Do not spend time worrying about all of the issues with which you are troubled. Just tell yourself that you are going to Couples and WILL go to the AN side. Then, when you get there, go to Tower Island or SSB or wherever and take it all off and enjoy the experience. If you have never gone 'au naturel' before, you would probably ask yourself why you hadn't done it earlier.

Another thing about CTI:

The boat runs to and from 'the island' all day and no one at the resort or on the pier is concerned about who is going over to (or who is returning from) the naked island.

Even on the island we saw the pool cleaners cleaning the pool while the naked guests were on their loungers around the pool.

Again: just let everything be 'Irie' and do not make anything a problem, mon.

Going AN is a great 'not-to-be-missed' experience while at a Couples resort and one should embrace it from the first day.
    Last edited by clydealp; November 19th, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

We totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Irie Mon

Blog Entries

Hi clydealp,
    I have tried to reach out to you via email on two separate occasions without success. Can you inbox me at jasm@couples.com please
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Blog Entries

Got it clydealp...responded to you.. Thanks again for your posts and intearaction on the board.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

This, this, this, a thousand times this!

My wife and I had our first AN experience on our first trip to CTI several years ago (wow, 3 years ago now) and absolutely everything clydealp says is true.

If you absolutely *must* use "liquid encouragement," go easy on it. No one cares what sort of shape you're in (round is a shape, right?,) how you groom "down there," whether you cover up to head to the restroom (I honestly don't think we saw anyone cover up either time we've been there,) or anything else.

To put it bluntly, once you're on the Isle and appropriately de-attired (ooo, I like that word!) you'll find it to be one of the most relaxing environments to be in.

Jason