Default Couples Veterans Need Advice

DH and I have decided to bite the bullet and make the trip to Couples for our anniversary this year. He started back to school in a PhD program this fall, so our semi-annual October trip is no more. Even though it's more expensive to travel in January, we usually book SOMETHING for our anniversary, and have decided to pool $$ and just go to Couples.

We have our May trip to CSA booked. We don't want to fork over the big bucks to stay on the Negril side for January, so we're looking at CTI or CSS. We have stayed at both already.

I LOVED CTI. DH liked it a lot, but we both went through a bit of withdrawals since there was little to no opportunity to run. (I was fresh off a marathon, so less withdrawals for me.) Our trip to CSS was good, but not spectacular, and I think that is for two big reasons:

1. we didn't like our room. We had a Beachfront Suite with NO view -- huge tree -- and would have really really preferred to be up on the cliffs.

and

2. The weather was only so-so.

Other than that, we thought the resort was gorgeous, and really liked sunset beach a lot. (Better than Tower Isle, in fact.)

So.... here's the dilemma.....

We are leaning toward going back to CSS and staying in an Ocean Suite. They have the running track, nice tennis courts, and a great fitness center. They have room service and minibars. Should we give CSS another try? Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? Since we'll be traveling 12/31 - 1/6, I KNOW that CTI will be booked by the time we get there, so there probably won't be an opportunity to switch if we ARE disappointed. HALP!

Any interesting and novel viewpoints welcome. Who knew this decision would be THIS hard??
    Last edited by Vee; September 20th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Vee, I don't want to cop your thread....but CSS DOES have tennis courts on property? I didn't think they did and that was one of the reasons we had excluded them, but the place looks beautiful. Obviously I can't answer your question but found your comments here interesting. Curious to see what others say here.

We've stayed in the room that has the big tree in front. Thought wed hate it but instead we liked it because it afforded us a certain amount of extra privacy. I bet you could simply ask for a room with view and you could bet you get it. Some of the rooms on the hill don't have great views either. This year we are going to the hill to check out the penthouse room.

Weather is pending on the time of the year. We've been there in March, November but mostly in July... Never had a problem in July.

I dont know what year you were at CSS but there was a time when 4 or 5 mega resorts opened and hired a lot of experience personnel away from all the established resorts, so service did suffer a little bit all over because of the lack of trained experience staff. IMHO that service is back and better that ever. Our last trip in July 2010 Service/food etc at CSS was the BEST of all our trips ever !!

July 2011 its 3 nights at CN then off to CSS for 7 more...or you could do a spilt between CTI and CSS...

Jeff

@cleversole - CSS does INDEED have Tennis courts -- right smack in the middle of the running "trail." They're quite nice and they have an onsite tennis pro who is SO underutilized that after Doug went to play some tennis with him one morning, he ended up coming LOOKING for Doug to see if he would like some more tennis, mon.

@jeff - they probably would have moved us, but I was attempting to be low maintenance :cough:. And it wasn't just the big-a** tree in the way, we just didn't case for those particular rooms. In retrospect, we should have asked to be moved to the cliffs, but alas. We were there in October of 2007, and the weather was downright yucky. Overcast the whole time, lots of rain, etc. The service was OK to good, but didn't seem to meet CSA's standards. (or CTI's for that matter -- we were there last October.)

We're still dithering.... I think we're going to let a Wednesday special decide for us.

Hi Vee,
    Nice to see you on the MB. It would be really nice to see you in Jan at CSA. We'll be there on the 22nd for 8 days for a wedding. But if you decide to go to CSS try the rooms on the cliff. Dave and I were there a number of years ago (before it was a Couples resort) and stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean suite. I think we booked a Ocean Verandah but were upgraded to the 1 bedroom. We really liked the room and the location. I think we were in the middle block (F?) on the 2nd floor. The room was very spacious and the balcony was a good size and had a beautiful view over the ocean. If we went back to CSS I would book one of these rooms in a minute.
    Good luck making your decision.
    Karon

Vee
    Your right on, 2007 was the year of the mass hiring by the mega resorts. OK to good service in 2007 for us too because we had two previous years to compare to. This year was the best ever.
    I suspect you will find it exceeds your expectations now.

I know you know there is nothing you can do about the weather, it does effect your psyche. Just tuff time of the year..

Let us know how you like it.

Default Go for the penthouse suite

We went to CSS in January for the first time. We booked Ocean suite and got upgraded to Penthouse. Guaranteed the best views on the cliff and not much more expensive. We are booked for next January and just went for the Penthouse suite right away (I guess we were spoiled but loved it). You won't be disappointed.

Well, we went ahead an booked CSS. It was the running trail and room service that decided us. It appears that I will be doing the Miami marathon end of January, so I absolutely MUST MUST MUST be able to run.

Thanks for the updates Jeff. I am excited that we're giving it another try. One of these days, we'll have to stay a couple nights a CN, just so we can say we've been to all 4, although I suspect we'll miss CSA the whole time. (which is our favorite by a VERY slim margin.)

@Karon - It's just too 'spensive for us in Negril that time of year, and we have to go before Doug starts back in school on the 9th, so we wouldn't be able to meet you anyway. Have fun without us though. We'll be there in May! What about you? Back again that time of year? Are you staying in an Atrium?

Just do it! You can't fault a resort for the weather. And as for the rooms at CSS, most people seem to prefer the beachfront category for the convenience, hence the price, but if you ask at check-in to see available rooms, I have no doubt that you'll find one to your liking. The rooms in "the cliffs" are all very different (having been built originally as private apartments, mainly), and since you've already been (and since you're talking about <cough> exercise), I can't imagine the steps would be an issue.

Default Hi Vee

I agree about the price of Negril in January but we are attending a wedding so I didn't have any input for the date -just have to suck it up -lol.

We are going to be there again April 22-May 3rd for Dave's birthday. Went with the BF again. Price was really good and I didn't want to take a chance with it being a Bday. When I'm there in Jan I'm going to take a really good look at the Atriums. Might make a trip in 2012 a little easier on the budget.

Good luck with the marathon and the same to Doug with the PhD. You two are amazing.
    K

Vee, thanks for the answer on the tennis courts. Last year was our first trip to Couples and we went to CN and fell in love with it and are booked again for this year. We will probably return again to CN, but I want to check out some of the other properties, esp the Ochi side of the island and for whatever reason, CTI doesn't call to me (please don't beat me up CTI vets). I've looked at it and it's so very nice, but CSS seems to be the one that I lean toward more IF we try another property. Maybe at some point we will venture out and try all four, maybe not. CN was so perfect for us, don't want to fix it, if it isn't broken....But your information did help me with some insight that I hadn't gotten yet on CSS. Thanks again. Hope you have a great time and much better weather this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Good luck with the marathon and the same to Doug with the PhD. You two are amazing.
    K
    We are quite the overachievers, aren't we?? And i'm running Chicago in two weeks. LOL. And did I mention cub scouts? Heehee. I must be crazy.

We'll miss you guys again in May. We'll be there starting on the 12th. Bummer, man.

Your Welcome Vee

If we'd just go to CSA we'd have all four resorts as well, but once we took the dive to the AuNatural side I don't think we could go there without it those type facilities, but how knows we could surpise ourself or take some of the adult children.
    SSB is our favorite.

Somewhere in the informational book in your room they list the distance around trail around the pond. I got a feeling you'll run many many laps to get in your distance goals in.

Please let us know how things turned out. We'd be curious to know if you seen and improvement or not.

Jeff