Default Breakdown of bills?

Planning to bring 200-300 USD. What's a good breakdown? I've heard lots of small bills. A few Twenties, 10 Tens, 20 Fives, and 50 Ones sound reasonable, or is this overkill on the ones?

50 ones will take up a lot of room in your wallet. I think we brought 10 or 15 ones and then we exchanged a few 20s for smaller bills when we got to the resort. We stayed at CSA and they had an exchange window upstairs from the lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by scf8914 View Post
    Planning to bring 200-300 USD. What's a good breakdown? I've heard lots of small bills. A few Twenties, 10 Tens, 20 Fives, and 50 Ones sound reasonable, or is this overkill on the ones?
    ....Sounds right. You shouldn't need anything bigger than a $20. Lots of 1s and 5s.

Quote Originally Posted by scf8914 View Post
    A few Twenties, 10 Tens, 20 Fives, and 50 Ones sound reasonable, or is this overkill on the ones?
    Nope sounds about right. It is a lot of paper to be carrying around, but you will appreciate the smaller bills when you are there. I do a similar breakdown myself.

Also separate your money out between pockets and your spouses... Negotiating for souvenirs, tipping, and so on goes smoother if you don't make it so you have to pull out a huge wad of bills to peel off the few you need.

scf8914,

From 3 visits to Jamaica I'd say that's a good breakdown. You'll be surprised at how many 1's you'll use for tips and such. You may want to drop the number of 10's and increase the number of 5's. You'll use very few 10's and 20's.

Bart & Bug

Thats about what we brought..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

When we go to Mexico for a week, I brought 100 one dollar bills and went through all of them, however we were at a resort were tipping was accetable. You can not have too many ones, in my opinion.
    MouLouHill

That sounds like a lot of paper to be carrying around. Over 80 bills? Probably don't need that many ones. We gave the luggage guy at the airport $5 each time and the bus drive $5 each time. We did have 3 bags and 1 carryon. (had scuba gear), so I felt the $5 was justified. Didn't really use any money on the resort, just for some stuff from the vendors and we did rent a jet ski and needed cash for that. Hope this helps!
    Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by AsTheCrowsFly View Post
    50 ones will take up a lot of room in your wallet. I think we brought 10 or 15 ones and then we exchanged a few 20s for smaller bills when we got to the resort. We stayed at CSA and they had an exchange window upstairs from the lobby.
    Does CTI have one of these exchange windows? That would certainly cut down on my need to bring so many small bills.

scf,

That's about what we bring too. As far as being so many bills, I get a few of the money envelopes from the bank. Aside from what's in my wallet, I split the bills between my carry on and my wife's. Our carry on bags don't leave our sides until we get to our room. Any cash not tipped out to porters and the like goes into the safe. In Negril, we usually take some money with us to the beach to tip the Mentos and for any walks down the beach (CSA).
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by lovnrumpunch View Post
    That sounds like a lot of paper to be carrying around. Over 80 bills? Probably don't need that many ones. We gave the luggage guy at the airport $5 each time and the bus drive $5 each time. We did have 3 bags and 1 carryon. (had scuba gear), so I felt the $5 was justified. Didn't really use any money on the resort, just for some stuff from the vendors and we did rent a jet ski and needed cash for that. Hope this helps!

.....I keep most of my cash separate in an envelope.

The only 1's we spent on vacation were the porters. I gave the bus driver a $20, so I vote for bigger bills.

Last trip to CN we took about 75 $1's and came home with about 45 of them. we used more $5's and $10's. I had a few 50's for purchases at the airport, liquor and Pandora jewellery, but as for tipping since there isnt any at Couples you wont need as many 1's as you might have needed in places like Punta Cana.

There is a currency exchange window at CTI. It was very helpful to not have to carry all that cash, but could get it when we needed it.
    Felicia and Josh
    Couples Negril Oct. '08
    Couples TI Nov. '09
    CTI and CSS Nov/Dec '10

Do you have to pay extra to get cash for travelers checks?

I'd say cut down on the # of $1's & bring maybe $10 or 20 more in $5's. We usually give the baggage handler a $5 for our 3 bags & $10 or $20 to the shuttle driver & use mostly $5's & $10's for everybody else we need to tip ... so we use our $1's mostly for making change. We usually take $400 & come home with a good chunk of that left. If we didn't have to eat in the connecting airport coming & going & at Mobay airport while waiting to depart, we'd come home with a LOT more of it.
    Julie