Default Alfred or Jungle?

So, I have talked two other couples into going to CSA with us in November, and I am desperately trying to talk them into going to one Jamaican night club while we are there. So, which one would you recommend for a Friday or Saturday night...Alfred or Jungle? Why?

Amanda

Neither, Roots Bamboo

Alfred's without a doubt. Its fenced-in which keeps out undesirables. If you wanna be hassled, the go to Roots. We didn't enjoy that place cause we were constantly bothered by low-lifes. I can't speak about the Jungle...never went there. If you wanna be left alone to enjoy genuine island reggae, Alfred's is the best. Check with alfred's web site for nights they have live reggae shows. I forgot which nights. We're gonna be at CSA November 11-20th and will probably go to Alfred's one night. Maybe we could share a cab ride.

I'm not sure if the Jungle is even open at the moment. They had a serious accident in which part of their roof collapsed recently (a lot of obnoxious people decided its where they wanted to party and dance), and severaly people were injured, a few of them quite seriously.

Beyond that, zippy's got good advice. If its reggae you want, Alfred's will probably be your better bet... Jungle is more dancehall. Not too keen on Roots for the reasons zippy outlined.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Any suggestions on finding live Calypso music?

"Alfred's without a doubt. Its fenced-in which keeps out undesirables. If you wanna be hassled, the go to Roots. We didn't enjoy that place cause we were constantly bothered by low-lifes."

Wow.........that's all I can say

I say Alfreds..we go there every chance we get. Jungle is more dance hall, disco, Alfreds is the bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy6591 View Post
    Alfred's without a doubt. Its fenced-in which keeps out undesirables. If you wanna be hassled, the go to Roots. We didn't enjoy that place cause we were constantly bothered by low-lifes. I can't speak about the Jungle...never went there. If you wanna be left alone to enjoy genuine island reggae, Alfred's is the best. Check with alfred's web site for nights they have live reggae shows. I forgot which nights. We're gonna be at CSA November 11-20th and will probably go to Alfred's one night. Maybe we could share a cab ride.
    zip- what "undesirables" are you referring to? care to shed a lil light

Wow what, Wanda? That's my opinion, too bad if you don't like it. Fact is, that was our experience when we went to Roots Bamboo. There are some local people, albeit a small minority ( yes, I call them low-lifes, and I'm completely unrepentent about using that term ), that sometimes get in your face and become aggresive. My wife and I happen to be crazy about Jamaican people in general. That's one of the main reasons why we've vacationed there over 25 times, almost exclusively. More than most cultures, the vast majority of Jamaicans are very lovely people. However, there are always some bad characters that if given the choice, I'd rather not be around. That's reality. Sometimes you need to face it.

So...looking at the map, Alfreds looks to be quite a distance from CSA. Can you walk it, or do you typically hire a cab? And is it otherwise safe to walk the beach at night? Just curious

It's not that far, we just grab a taxi, doesn't cost much.

I wouldn't walk that at night, neither by beach or road. This is one of those things that would fall under common sense; you wouldn't do it at home, would you? It is about a 2+ mile walk from SweptAway to the roundabout area, which is nominally where Roots is located.

Daytime is a completely different story, and highly recommended.

Get in touch with the front desk to arrange a taxi for you.
    Chris

Default PC

Better watch it Chris, the PC crowd is out there and they are merciless

PC...

This is not a "PC" or "PI" issue. There are a lot of reasons to not walk this after dark, and yes, many of them have to do with some of the denizens of the dark that you would run into anywhere in the world, even at home.

Trust me... even during the day, this is a trek because of the heat. At night, walking the beach over that distance will, at minimum, get you some serious welts from the no-see-ums.

The 7-mile beach at Negril is a beach bum's dream... no doubt about that. I would encourage EVERYONE to make the trek as far toward the roundabout area by beach as they are comfortable with. Engage the Jamaican folks and learn from them... they have a lot to offer.

But the fact remains that making this trek in the wee hours with a belly full of rum or Red Stripe is not a good bet.

'nuff said...
    Chris

Zippy - LMAO!!!
    Kristen

Glad you enjoyed my post. Thanks for helping restore my faith in humanity