Default Which Couples Resort do you recommend?

We are planning our first trip to a Couples Resort, and we are trying to decide which of the four locations is the best fit for us???

We are interested in the following: Great beach / a room very close to the beach / fun activities day & night / disco or some form of club dancing / Au Natural Beach would be "preferred".

Don't know which area is better Negril or Ocho Rios?

Any input from all of you Couples veterans??? Thanks!!!

Negril beaches are better than Ocho Rios. CSA does not have Au Natural but CN does. Reading your interests I think you would enjoy CN.

Just a hunch, but I think most will agree that you will find Negril more to you liking as Negril has the best beaches.
    As for AN, in Negril only CN offers that option.
    Not sure about the dancing aspects all Couples are pretty quiet at night. At CN there is a band everynight until 10 or 10:30 and some will dance to that.

I would suggest CN. The only thing on your list that they do not have is the disco. There is a piano bar that is converted to a disco one or two nights a week, but there is also karoke (sp), themed nights there as well during the week. But they do have a great beach and an AN option.

I recommend Couples Ocho Rios. I went there for my honeymoon 3 years ago and Im going back in a couple of weeks. All the rooms had great views, not very far to the beach, very nice people, and the Au Natural Island! Every day and night there is some sort of entertainment.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your choice.

The Negril area is much better for beach, without question. So you are down to CSA or CN

If you want a nude beach, your only choice is CN then.

For a great beach and AN, CN is the only choice. CSA has the disco and great beach, but no AN. All four Couples have the fun activities day & night and both of the resorts in Negril are close enough to go into town for clubbing.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

IMHO
    The Negril resorts have the better beaches. Of the two, Couples Swept Away and Couples Negril, Couples Negril is the one with the Nude beach.

Default nebraskafunseekers

Hey iowafunseekers, we just returned from Couples San Souci this week & would highly recommend it! We stayed in B21 & it was in our opinion, the most convenient one to be in. They have different activities going on every night & go out of their way to make sure you have a great time! The au natural beach is close by also. We attended the Disco party there & had a blast! We met some great people there, staff included, that we hope to stay in contact with. This was our first time to Jamaica & would definitely recommend it to everybody we know! Hope this helps.
    Corine

Quote Originally Posted by iowafunseekers View Post
    We are planning our first trip to a Couples Resort, and we are trying to decide which of the four locations is the best fit for us???

We are interested in the following: Great beach / a room very close to the beach / fun activities day & night / disco or some form of club dancing / Au Natural Beach would be "preferred".

Don't know which area is better Negril or Ocho Rios?

Any input from all of you Couples veterans??? Thanks!!!
    As I was reading off your wish list, I kept thinking CSA: great beach, more rooms right on the beach than any of the four resorts, lots to do, the Aura Nightclub. It was turning into a no-brainer.....until the ominous AN beach preferance popped up. Unfortunately, CSA is the only resort in the Couples family that doesn't offer the AN option.

So may I suggest CN, CSA's sister resort in Negril? Pretty much all the same good stuff as CSA in a smaller, more compact environment. Plus it has an AN beach and is simply an overall gorgeous retreat.

I'm only stressing the two Negril resorts because, as most in here will attest, the beach is longer, deeper, with softer sand in Negril than its counterparts in Ocho Rios. And I got the impression this is a dominant feature for you. But don't sell the two Ocho Rios locales short. Smaller beaches, yes, but lots of good things to do, both on and off resort. CSS is considered the most romantic of the properties, and it's the largest in size, yet has the smallest number of rooms, allowing more opportunities for privacy. And no Couples resort offers more inclusive activities than the über hip CTI. BTW, both OR resorts feature superior and private AN beach environments than CN's fairly open version. Thought you should know in case this matters.

So do your research, follow your gut, and sure enough one of the four will come a-callin' to you. Bank on it.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Hi Iowafunseekers,

Greetings from a fellow Iowan - Cedar Falls here. We are oft-repeaters to Couples, so I thought I'd chime in. First of all, congratulations on choosing Couples. Though I haven't been to all four, here's my take on things. You want:

Great beach: If you want a long, white sand, walkable beach, then choose either of the Negril locations. I think the beaches are longer, plus you get the sunset over the water on the west side.

Room very close to the beach: Both Swept Away and CN are situated right along the beach, merely steps from the ocean.

Fun Activities day and night: We're usually wiped out by 10 pm, so I can't comment on that.

Disco or some form of dancing: I believe all the resorts have clubs or piano bars, but Swept Away has Ultimate Chocolate, he's the very best.

Au Natural Beach: Well, that just eliminates Swept Away, as they are the only resort that doesn't have AN.

I think you would be very happy at Couples Negril - I know we are. It's a casual, laid back atmosphere - and a bit smaller than CSA. The layout of the rooms around the main pool makes it easy to negotiate. Let me warn you this is NOT a marble and glitter resort, but rather a resort that blends into the environment.

You'll get stellar service at any of the resorts.

Look at all the photos and videos you can, and choose the one that calls to you. Here's a link to my CN video from last December:

http://kenandbrenda.shutterfly.com/

Let us know which one you choose.

Beergirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    . . . . [B]oth OR resorts feature superior . . . AN beach environments than CN's fairly open version . . . .
    I disagree that the a/n beaches at CSS and CTI are superior to that at CN. CSS has the most comprehensive a/n facilities, offering a beach, a pool, and a beach grill. However, the ocean floor as you enter the water is rocky, and the water is colder b/c the river empties into the bay there. I have heard that the rocky area ends and sand lies beyond that point, but I don't know what it's like. We didn't have water shoes, and the rocky bottom made us head for shore. The ocean floor off of the main beach is mucky in many spots, which was very unappealing to us; I don't know if it's the same off of the a/n beach.

While Tower Island at CTI looks really cool, it's not a "beach" but is more akin to sunbathing on a deck. The pool is actually a pool bar; you can't swim in it. While "occupancy" varies from week to week, it was very crowded when we were there in January; we prefer to be by ourselves, and the Island was too busy for us, even on the "quiet" side. We left after a short time b/c we were bothered so much by another guest. Of the three, it is the a/n facility at which it is the most difficult to have privacy if there are a lot of people who want to sunbathe au naturel.

The a/n beach at CN is quite nice. The water is warm, and the ocean floor is sandy and firm. If you want to be alone, it's no problem to find a spot away from others. While it is the least private of the three because there are people strolling along the shoreline, gawkers can be an issue at CSS, and there have been posts about people using binoculars or telephoto camera lenses on the main beach to "gawk" at people on Tower Island. I don't think this one criterion renders CN's a/n beach "inferior."
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

There is quite a bit of dancing on certain nights in the piano bar and they don't stop until the last person leaves. Lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I disagree that the a/n beaches at CSS and CTI are superior to that at CN. CSS has the most comprehensive a/n facilities, offering a beach, a pool, and a beach grill. However, the ocean floor as you enter the water is rocky, and the water is colder b/c the river empties into the bay there. I have heard that the rocky area ends and sand lies beyond that point, but I don't know what it's like. We didn't have water shoes, and the rocky bottom made us head for shore. The ocean floor off of the main beach is mucky in many spots, which was very unappealing to us; I don't know if it's the same off of the a/n beach.

While Tower Island at CTI looks really cool, it's not a "beach" but is more akin to sunbathing on a deck. The pool is actually a pool bar; you can't swim in it. While "occupancy" varies from week to week, it was very crowded when we were there in January; we prefer to be by ourselves, and the Island was too busy for us, even on the "quiet" side. We left after a short time b/c we were bothered so much by another guest. Of the three, it is the a/n facility at which it is the most difficult to have privacy if there are a lot of people who want to sunbathe au naturel.

The a/n beach at CN is quite nice. The water is warm, and the ocean floor is sandy and firm. If you want to be alone, it's no problem to find a spot away from others. While it is the least private of the three because there are people strolling along the shoreline, gawkers can be an issue at CSS, and there have been posts about people using binoculars or telephoto camera lenses on the main beach to "gawk" at people on Tower Island. I don't think this one criterion renders CN's a/n beach "inferior."
    I'll confess that the privacy aspect was the primary criteria, maybe even the sole criteria as the reason for my having stated that CTI and CSS were superior. You bring up an interesting aspect of privacy itself. There's privacy regarding AN sunbathing away from the general public, as well as privacy FROM fellow AN sunbathers, which you included as well. I never factored this latter approach in the equation because it's been my view over the almost two years of reading this board that the AN crowd offers a sense of kinship, of community when discussing this form of sunbathing. It never dawned on me that privacy from fellow au naturelers (is that a word?) would serve as an important criterion. I now stand corrected.

And you're certainly on point about the sand quality; in fact I made reference to this when comparing the differences between the beaches of Negril vs OR. You're right to have painted the whole picture.

Maybe I placed too much emphasis on the privacy aspect. Oh well, so be it. While we may not agree on what criteria makes which of the three ANs are better or worse, at least we're agreed that without question, CN's is the least private....with respect to being viewed from the general public, natch. It's up to the OP to determine how much or little this matters.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.