Default Snorkeling at CN

Hello- excited to be arriving in a few days. can anyone advise on the snorkeling? I cannot find anything on the site besides it is included.

The snorkeling trips are a lot of fun! Go sign up at the watersports hut the day before. I don't remember exactly how long the trips are, probably 45-60min. You'll take a short boat ride out to the reef. They'll have all the gear you need. The watersports guys will give lessons or take you around on a little tour if you want, or you can just swim around on your own.

You'll see many kinds reef fish and some pretty coral formations. It's not the best snorkeling in the Caribbean, but it's still very nice.

I think they'll loan you gear to snorkel from the beach too, although there's not much to see. The beach at CN is flat and sandy.

The resort offers night snorkeling too, for a small additional charge. We haven't done this yet, but it's on our list for next time.

All equipment (mask/snorkel, fins, life vest) is provided.

Sign-up in advance (at the watersports hut).

As of mid last year, snorkeling is offered 7 days a week at 9:30 am & 1:30pm Available on Thursdays at 9:30 amó1:30 pm & 3:00 pm.

Upon sign-up they will ask you to arrive at the watersports hut ~15 minutes or so prior to departure time. You will pick up your fins and fit check the size when you sign-in.

If the weather is rough (uncommon) they may cancel for the guests' safety/comfort reasons.

There are 3 or 4 spots they typically choose from. (e.g. on the southerly side of booby cay and a few places past that off of the
    main Negril beach.)

The boatride out (and back as well) is usually less than 10 minutes and the time in the water is about 30 minutes.

They strongly discourage bringing rolls or other items to feed the fish (is a bad thing to do).

Wear/bring plenty of sunscreen and/or bring a shirt for protection. Some people prefer to have a towel or cover up for the ride back (being wet and riding in a fast moving, relatively, boat can get chilly).

Jellyfish stings are apparently infrequent, but do happen. Wearing a rash guard is a good idea if you are concerned. Bring vinegar to apply to any stings if you are really concerned.

Some outings we've had very good visibility with many fish. Other times, not so much.

My husband and I bring ouir own masks for the snorkel. I enjoy swimming around the beach as well. There isn't too much to see but still, its fun. Have Fun!!!! 72 days till CN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One Love,
    Mya

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    My husband and I bring ouir own masks for the snorkel. I enjoy swimming around the beach as well. There isn't too much to see but still, its fun. Have Fun!!!! 72 days till CN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we are 74 days! 71 days from CSA

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Snorkelling is quite good at CN. We went there in Jan last year and went almost daily. You can sign-up the day before. We also did the nite snorkel - my husband really enjoyed it, I thought it was ok as we didn't see much fish, however during the day trips we saw lots of fish. Definitely take advantage of it!

very cool snorkeling....you can actually see old pirate ship cannons at one of the spots the boat anchors at
    The sun & the sand & a drink in my hand, with no bottom

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. One day to go