Thread: Scuba Diving

Default Scuba Diving

Just a couple of questions,
    I am a NAUI certified diver. Would I need an advanced certification for night diving?
    What is the average amount of weight needed?
    Can I sign up for trips before arriving?

Thanks
    Mark

nothing extra certificate wise for night diving.

Hi Mark,
    My sisters have done a night dive and they do not have advanced certification.

Make sure you bring your cert card AND your dive log with you. If you haven't been diving in over a year (or if you don't have your log), you will have to do a skills test in the pool before you can dive. Also, you might want to check out the medical questionnaire. If you answer 'yes' to any of the questions, you may need a signed form from your doctor. My husband checked that he was on medication for blood pressure and they wouldn't let him dive without his doctor's stamp.

I don't think there is an average amount of weight needed. It depends on your own buoyancy, what kind of wet suit you're wearing, your experience. You need more weight in salt water than in fresh water.

I hope that helps. Have fun!

No for the night dive...weights depend on your body; I take 12, hubby takes 16. No you cannot sign up for dives/excursions before arriving.
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

No advance certifications are needed for any dives at Couples. My wife and I have been Open Water certified through PADI for 16 years and have never been stopped from doing any dive we wished to anywhere we traveled. Night dives are particularly good, especially if you start at dusk. That allows you to get to the bottom in daylight and watch the crossover to night time marine activity. Look for fish building cocoons around themselves for nighttime protection from all the lobsters that come out in the dark!