Thread: Scuba Diving

Default Scuba Diving

My fiance and I are considering doing the PADI course online and finishing our certification once we get to Jamaica. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding this? How long does it take? How much does it cost? About how much is the extra equipment? Thank you!

Hello. PADI instructor here. Taking the course online is the best way to do it, as it saves you precious time at the resort. You also may have the option to do the pool sessions as well at home. If so, that can save you more time.
    The best thing is to contact Couples and ask directly for the cost. This is what's known as a referral, so the cost will likely differ than doing the entire course at Couples. It will be important to note also if you want to do the pool sessions at Couples.
    How long the pool part takes depends if you have others in your class and how many. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the two of you (at the rsort) and won't take very long. You'll have to run through all the required skills and number of gear setups.
    The open water part will consist of 4 dives where you do your skillsas well as enjoy a little dive.
    Having done all the knowledge development and studying and taken the exam will save you a lot of time at the resort and allow you to get into the water right away. That was a good plan.
    At Couples all the equipment is included, but I highly recommend bringing your own personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins) to ensure a good fit so that you're comfortable diving. Having your own wetsuit (at least a shorty if not a 3mm full) isn't a bad idea either. When you're down there for a little while, particulalry sitting stil ldoing skills, it can get a little chilly without one. If you don't want to buy one I believe you can rent one from Couples, but I think (don't quote me) they charge for that.
    Last edited by jamaicamecrazy; September 29th, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction - I thought they were already doing the online course

the wetsuit rent charge is $10.

Cigarmanpa, They now rent wet suits? they never did before and as recently for me to know this was last March. (I always bring my 3ml shorty so I dont need to rent one.)

Quote Originally Posted by iscubanow47 View Post
    Cigarmanpa, They now rent wet suits? they never did before and as recently for me to know this was last March. (I always bring my 3ml shorty so I dont need to rent one.)
    at css they did when we were there in august. you have the choice of a wet suit or diving in a tshirt. I had some sun burn, so I opted for the wet suit. now I'm looking for a place to find one at a decent cost so I don't have to rent them next time