Hybrid View

Default When to fly TimAir?

Hi!

My fiance and I will be traveling to CSA for our honeymoon. We are thinking about flying TimAir but we can't decide whether to fly from the airport to CSA or from CSA to the airport. We don't want to spend the money to do a roundtrip flight - just want to experience the aerial view of Jamaica and save some time traveling. Any opinions on which is better??

Thanks!
    Melissa & Anthony

We fly TIMAIR but only when it makes a difference to daytime hours at the resort. If we have a late day arrival in Jamaica or a really early morning departure we take the shuttle.

So that's how I would decide which way to fly. This year we had a 2:30pm departure so we flew TIMAIR from CN to Sangster. Other people with flights from Sangster at the same time as us left CN on the shuttle at around 9:00am. We had breakfast, sat on the beach then had a quick lunch, leaving CN just before noon. We were at the airport in lots of time for our flight.

If you will get extra daytime hours on both ends of your trip and you only want to fly one way, I would suggest using TIMAIR for your departure. It's always nice being able to squeeze in a few extra hours at the end of your vacation.

ENJOY!!!
    Last edited by Roclin; September 30th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

We flew TimAir roundtrip this past January. If I had to choose, I would take TimAir departing CSA to MoBay. I missed the shuttle bus ride to CSA - everyone is so happy! But I most definitely did not miss the shuttle ride back to the airport. Taking TimAir enabled us to have a leisurely check-out, stroll the beach, eat lunch, have a few drinks, all after the time when we would've already been on the shuttle bus back to MoBay. It made our departure day practically stress-free.

When we stay at CN or CSA, we always take the shuttle to the resort and then fly back to Mobay on Timair. Taking the shuttle to the resort is usually pretty enjoyable (we've had good & so-so trips) because you're excited about the week to come. It also gives you a chance to see the country & people of Jamaica. Taking the Timair flight is a great way to see the birds eye view of the beautiful country. Curtis (the usual pilot) is a great guide. You will also have as much as 3 more hours to enjoy paradise if you go Timair.

I agree with (our Canadian friends) Roclin. Timair is much more likely to get you more time at the end of the vacation than at the beginning. Couples generally puts you on a bus 3+ hours before your flight - this covers any risk of getting to the Mobay airport late. Indeed, it will save you at least 1.5 hours on the last day of your vacation. So if you are going to pick one or the other, save the Timair flight for your return.

I agree, take TimAir on the way back. You will have something to look forward to on your last day.

Ask the pilot to circle CSA so you can get one last shot of the resort.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Aceswild,

One more comment. Last March, we booked our 1 way TimAir flight to the resort. We arrived at 1:30 pm and planned to be at CN about 2:30 pm, however, immigration was very slow and we got through about 3:00 pm. We went to Couples lounge for a beer, then WALKED, all the way over to departure area of airport, then we waited another 45 minutes before Timair could take us to CN.

We would have gotten there quicker taking the shuttle. I was not neccessarily TimAir's fault. Sometimes immigration is very slow.

This all depends on flight times, however, the shuttle ride to the resort can be enjoyable and fun. The ride back is always full of regret that you are leaving Jamaica to go home.

Therefore, I would suggest you get a few more hours in at the resort prior to leaving. TimAir also drops you off right at departure area.

Cheers

Like many others have said, we chose taking TimAir on the way back to max out our last day at CN, and it was soooooooooooo worth it. Can't recall exactly now, but I think it allowed us to remain at the resort about three additional hours by opting to fly back vs taking the van. It was a no-brainer for us.

Besides, the flight into Mobay is pretty cool. You not only hug the beautiful coastline (which of course you would do in either direction), but you directly approach the landing strip head on, so you have a great view of the descent and actual landing. Go for it, you won't regret it.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Definitely way back. On the way there, you won't know what you are missing by not getting to the resort sooner. On the way back, you will not want to leave and every extra beach moment will be well worth the price.

Does anyone know what a trip from Negril to MoBay costs? I've seen dif figures from dif years, but nothing recent.

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited!!! Looks like we will take TimAir from CSA to MoBay!

Sue & Mike - the quote that I got from TimAir in August was $108/person one-way - $210/person roundtrip. The quote is only good for 30 days so the rates may have changed a little.
    Melissa & Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by aceswild View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm so excited!!! Looks like we will take TimAir from CSA to MoBay!

Sue & Mike - the quote that I got from TimAir in August was $108/person one-way - $210/person roundtrip. The quote is only good for 30 days so the rates may have changed a little.
    That's great news I'd seen people's msgs with it as high as 400 per person. I thought that was a little off since the flight from Canada to MoBay is only around $400 on sale. We'll just make it one of our "excursions"

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_&_Mike View Post
    . . . . I'd seen people's msgs with it as high as 400 per person.
    The cost for TWO people round trip to/from Negril is $420 right now.

The cost for ONE person round trip to/from Ocho Rios is about $400.
    Last edited by Pamela; October 5th, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I just saw a new thread and they got a quote of $466. That must be round trip for 2 (MoBay-Negril).

If you fly Tim Air round trip, you actually save $121.00.

7 days @ Couples (avg $3,500 per couple)
    168 hours = $22.00 per hour to stay and play at Couples

gaining approx 2 1/2 hours by flying = $55.00

gaining approx 3 additional hours at the resort on departure day = $66.00

You then consider this $121 on your flight and you can think of your flight as only $345.00

That's Cannuck logic lolol

(Sue)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_&_Mike View Post
    I just saw a new thread and they got a quote of $466. That must be round trip for 2 (MoBay-Negril).
    That price quote was for a one-way flight for two people from Ocho Rios to MoBay. From mistyshep4's October 4 thread entitled, "Can't be right. . . . . . can it?":

Quote Originally Posted by mistyshep4 View Post
    I just got a quote from TimAir for a one way flight from CTI to Montego Bay in Nov. and they emailed me back saying it would be $466. I emailed them back and asked them if that was a typo, but I haven't heard back from them. Does that price sound right to anyone else on here? Thanks
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

My wife and I have flown TimAir many times in the past, not so much though in recent years since the drive time has improved so much. When we started going to Negril in the late 80's the drive took 2 hours and occaisionally up to 3 hours. The current 75 -90 min seems like a breeze to us. When we did take TimAir though, if we only took it one way, we took the flight from Sangster to Negril and took the resort bus back. We did it this way because we were always eager to get to the resort. We are not as eager to get to the airport, so the bus back always worked fine for us. The other factor was that on almost every trip to any resort in Negril we have found that the trip to Negril by bus always take longer than the trip back to the airport. This is likely because of the beer/pee stop on the way to Negril that is often skipped on the way back to the airport.
    For anyone who has never flown to Negril, I highly recommend it! The first time we did it we remembered it as a highlight of that trip. On a clear day is is a beautiful sight to see, especially on the way to Negril when you are flying just out over the water with the beach to your left. Planes coming back to Sangster fly over land and while still beautiful, do not offer the same amazing views IMO.
    RH