Thread: Cigars

Default Cigars

Is there a cigar shop, or are cigars available at CSS? If so, what kind of selection do they have? If I remember right CTI had one, with a decent selection of cubans. I'm bringing my own, but always like to sample the local wares. Thanks. "Z"

CSS does have a cigar shop. We're not big cigar smokers so I'm not sure of the quality variety, but they seemed to have a large enough selection. They also offer the buy three get one free deal which hubby took advantage of.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

So are the cuban cigars actual, honest-to-goodness authentic cubans?

Quote Originally Posted by MissusBuffBay View Post
    Yes they are. Cubans aren't a big deal in other countries....because they aren't illegal like in the States. Hubby smoked one and wasn't impressed when compared to other cigars.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MissusBuffBay View Post
    Yes.

There are some good sites out there to help you spot fakes, if you're worried.

http://www.cubaverdad.net/cuban_cigars.htm

Yes, real cuban cigars.

We drove into Negril and purchased a box from a store. He even would fedex a box back to us several times a year. But, many were dried out.

Yes, real Cubans are available. Keep in mind it is illegal to carry them back to the States. But many folks enjoy them at Couples after dinner, on the beach or whatever.

My husband smokes cigars but brings his own supply as they are way overpriced and often times not fresh.

I haven't touched a cigarette in almost 30 years, but every once in a blue moon I'll break out a good ol' fashioned stogie. May be too tempting to pass up if there's a good Cuban cigar staring me in the face, just begging to be bought and smoked.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Yes they are. Cubans aren't a big deal in other countries....because they aren't illegal like in the States. Hubby smoked one and wasn't impressed when compared to other cigars.

Bingo. Cuban cigars are, for the most part, like Coors used to be:sought after becasue they're hard to get. In a couple of years when you will hopefully be able to buy them in any tobacco shop people will see that they are just like Dominicans and others-the best of them are great, the good are good, some are average, and so on down the scale.

I wonder if they will close the cigar shop, at CSS, IF they ban smoking there. Everyone that wants to keep some rights, outside of this country, must speak up and vote. I just want everyone to be courteous to those who don't smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by mattnsharon View Post
    Bingo. Cuban cigars are, for the most part, like Coors used to be:sought after becasue they're hard to get. In a couple of years when you will hopefully be able to buy them in any tobacco shop people will see that they are just like Dominicans and others-the best of them are great, the good are good, some are average, and so on down the scale.
    Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane. I actually remember those days back to when many brews were more regional than they are today, Coors in particular held a certain mystique for those of us in the Midwest, where it wasn't available. The hype on that beer took on almost mythical proportions. So when a couple of buddies and I took a road trip out west, one of the first things we did was stop at a bar that sold Coors. The anticipation was huge, but as you might expect, the results were less than earth shaking.

It turned out that Coors was really just another pale lager. Nice, tasty, but by no means anything special and certainly did not live up to the incredible hype. Interestingly enough, I recently went thru the same experience when I drank my first bottle of Red Stripe. Coors the Sequel.

So I will definitely remember this lesson when I purchase my first Cubano. While I'll likely buy one just for the sake of experience, I won't hold the cigar up to the same expectations as I had for a couple of aforementioned brewskis.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Are Cuban cigars available at CSA for purchase?

SOME of the "cuban" cigars sold are authentic, but some are not. I purchased a box of what were labeled "40th anniversary Cohiba". These had a two color wrapper, commonly referred to as "barberpole" design.

Checking a cuban website after I returned home, I learned that Cohiba never made a barberpole cigar. The 40th anniversary model only produced 1000 boxes, and were all rolled by the same person. The box count was 40 cigars (not 25), and average USD retail was $3500 per box - I paid $200 for the imitations.

The Cohiba Espledidos appear authentic, and at CSA last year, I smoked a Cohiba 2006 limited edition torpedo that was the best cigar I ever had - and it looked authentic when compared to the website.

I would imagine that the vendors and gift shops at Couples are not preparing the imitation cigars; they are most likely authentic cuban cigars with a fake high brand ring. There are ways to bring some home.....ask a regular or be creative.