Thread: Room upgrades

Default Room upgrades

Hi, i just wanted some insight on this topic. I had one travel agent tell me that when I get to check in if there is higher room category avail we will be upgraded to that room with no charge without a problem. However another agent said that if upgraded would have to pay the difference in cost and said that this rarely happens anyone citing full house normally at Cti. Has anyone ever experienced one of the scenarios?

I think if you ASK for an upgrade, you will be charged, if your room category is available. If that category is full and they offer, it is no charge. I would book the category I wanted and not count on any upgrade. At CN, I'm not sure I would want an upgrade. I like the category we book because of the possible locations we can get.

The first agent was incorrect. Unless you are the highest level of Romance Rewards you have to pay for the upgrade. People who are at that level get first dibs on it but they hardly ever get the chance since the occupancy is pretty high much of the time. If you go in the off season you stand a better chance. It's always a good idea to book the room you want and assume you will not get an upgrade.

Edit- I forgot about the recent change to Romance Rewards. Now if you are on the highest level you get some sort of credit for your next stay or something since people were hardly ever getting an upgrade.
    Last edited by melody; October 4th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Couples upgrade policy has changed. In thae past if you were a repeat stay guest and an upgraded room was available they gave it to you. Upgrade avaiable rooms were so far and few between that repeat stay guests started to complain. So Couples management decided to change the upgrade policy which now requires you to pay the difference if you get upgraded. This also came out the same time the room request were no longer accepted. While I don't like either change I totally understand why it was done It created a lot of problems when guests were checking in and expected free upgrades and /or a specific room

Truthfully I have never understood the expecation of getting an upgrade for free. I would book the room that you want. If you want a suite then that is what you should book.

Blondie, I totally agree with u. If u upgrade anything else u have to pay such as car or food order. Why should the resort b any different? I just say if u can afford the room u really want, then go ahead and book that room. Many people on here have said they have never received an upgrade, even in the highest Romance Reward level.

Ditto for Blondie and Spice. If I book what I want from the beginning, I know I'll be happy. If I get an upgrade at checkin it's a wonderful surprise and icing on the cake. Either way, I know my room will be at least what I expected.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

We've have stayed at CN 14 times and have NEVER received an upgrade. My sister and her husband joined us at CN in September for their second Couples vacation and first CN vacation. They booked a garden suite but were upgraded to a beachfront suite, Room 9308.

I think my sister's experience was an incredible spot of luck. We're at the passionate love level of the Romance Rewards program and are supposed to receive an upgrade if one is available (I even asked if an upgrade was available and offered to pay for it).

I would guess that the OP's travel agent has never been to a Couples Resort. It's always disconcerting to hear of yet another travel agent giving out incorrect information and setting people's expectations too high.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Agreed, Blondie! I've worked in hotels and this whole idea of ugrades is a little bizarre. Yes, hotels give upgrades, but you can't ask for one. Lol. I never understand when guests think they are entitled to more than they asked for. If you are lucky enough to get an upgrade, be glad! But if you're lucky enough to vacation in Jamaica, who cares!?

As of today, this was still showing as pa "passionate level reward" -
    "•One Category Upgrade upon arrival (subject to availability"
    We have been upgraded from superior to deluxe oceanview on a couple of ocassions and ONCE we were upgraded from garden view to ocean view. WE never asked, I think it was just available and Couples likes to take care of their long time repeaters. If it happens, I say thank-you, if not, hey it's still Couples.

To Blondie, spice505, coffeekitty- This idea seemed weird to me as well but I never traveled before to Couples and this travel agent was bragging on what she could do and what could be done there,so I was just trying to verify. I dont think I am entitled to an upgrade but hey who wouldn't want a better room at a lower cost if they could. But anyway, I am chosing the room that I want-just wanted some insights from others because I kind of thought this lady was scamming to get me to sign up with her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    To Blondie, spice505, coffeekitty- This idea seemed weird to me as well but I never traveled before to Couples and this travel agent was bragging on what she could do and what could be done there,so I was just trying to verify. I dont think I am entitled to an upgrade but hey who wouldn't want a better room at a lower cost if they could. But anyway, I am chosing the room that I want-just wanted some insights from others because I kind of thought this lady was scamming to get me to sign up with her anyway.
    Maybe that particular travel agent has an "IN" with Couples. That might be why it can get you a free upgrade...and that would make more sense.

We were at CTI this summer and are at the Passionate Reward level, but didn't get an upgrade as it wasn't available. In 09, I called to upgrade for my hubby's birthday for our trip in July and nothing was available even to be purchased and that was a month out. So book what you want and be surprised and grateful if you get an upgrade.
    Vicky

We purchased the highest room available through our agency (Premier Ocean)which is not the room we wanted. I have no problem paying for an upgrade and fully expected to do so. Just wondered how we go about getting an upgrade. can we phone in advance or do we have to wait until we actually get there? We really would prefer an Ocean Jr Suite or better.

If the room you purchased was the highest category available, then chances are that is because the higher categories are already full. I would not bank on being able to get anything else.

On the off chance that there is something available, I would have your TA check directly with the resort.