Default Is PADI Cert Enough?

My wife and I went to CN 5 years ago and my plan was to try the resort scuba course. I should have known better but when I filled out the medical questionnaire the end results was no scuba diving for me So for our trip to CTI in Feb 2011 I am a step ahead! I am presently getting PADI certified

But I read somewhere that they will STILL require a medical questionaire to be filled out in which case I would still "fail" and be required to have a doctors okay. I don't have it anymore as I gave it to the folks who are certifying me

My question is will I need ANOTHER Doctor's Okay or is my PADI certification card all I need to have?

I am PADI certified and I always get a form signed by my doctor before I go somewhere new to dive. I am not clear whether this is necessary if you are not doing a course (seems to vary from place to place), but I like to be prepared. Easier (& cheaper) than having to get it done in resort.

If anyone can advise on how long a medical certificate is valid for, this would be really useful, as my medical condition hasn't changed in the last ten years that I have been diving, but some places have still required a signed questionnaire.

When you going in Feb? I'll go diving with you if we're there at same time.

PADI is enough for couples. You will still have to fill out a questionair from couples. If you answer yes to any question you will have to have a doctor fill out a statement saying it is ok for you to dive. You can either answer no to all questiona or take a Dr's statement that will address the yes questions.

Default Is PADI cert enough?

Hi PK81,
    Welcome to the diving world and good luck with your open water cert.
    The dive centre at CTI should ask you to complete a medical questionaire before letting you dive, even if you have your certification. If you answer yes to any of the questions they should ask for a doctor's cert before letting you dive.
    May I suggest that you ask the Instructor who is doing your training for a copy of your Doctors Cert. (Always keep at least one copy for yourself.)
    Hope that this helps.
    Safe diving.
    regards
    Tony

Well I guess its a trip back to the scuba center to get a copy..good point Tony and C&R.

Kevin we will be there Feb 27 - Mar 5th

Hi PK81,
    Here's the information on scuba diving on the FAQ page...I hope the link works.
    http://http://www.couples.com/10FAQ....ving_included_
    Cheers,
    Terri

No, your dive card is not enough. If you answer yes to any of the questions on the medical form, you have to have a signed letter from your doctor.

My husband checked that he was on medication for blood pressure and they would not let him dive without the doctor's letter (even though he had his card and log). This was at CSA but CTI probably has the same policy.

The dive shop at CSA gave my husband the form and said he could fax it to his doctor from the lobby. I'm sure the doctor would have been glad to sign the form and fax it back but we didn't bother with it. My husband just went snorkeling with me instead.

To avoid disappointment, get the doctor's note. Here's a link to Couples' medical form: http://couples.com/images/new/Scuba-...stionnaire.pdf.

Here is the policy directly from the FAQ's section of the Couples website:

All Divers
    Please Click Here to review the medical questionnaire for divers. You donít need to provide this form if you donít have any medical condition that may require doctorsí waiver. Otherwise you must get the appropriate waiver before arriving at the resort (the form must be stamped by the physician / medical facility. You must bring the original formĖ faxes and photocopies cannot be accepted).

Quote Originally Posted by pk81 View Post
    Well I guess its a trip back to the scuba center to get a copy..good point Tony and C&R.

Kevin we will be there Feb 27 - Mar 5th
    I wouldn't bring a 10 year old doctor's note! I would go back to the doctor.
    I obviously don't what your condition is, or how serious, but unless it's something like a surgery or something that obviously gets better with time, I would get a new doctor's note, particulalry if it's something like heart problems, diabetes, etc... something current or ongoing possibility of affecting you.
    After 10 years it's probably good to reassess anyway.

I think you are misunderstanding. I never said the note was 10yrs old!! I said I need to go back to the scuba center for which I recently(Last month) took my PADI course and gave them the appropriate documentation. It is That Doctors note I will be getting. I do thank you for trying to help though

Quote Originally Posted by pk81 View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding. I never said the note was 10yrs old!! I said I need to go back to the scuba center for which I recently(Last month) took my PADI course and gave them the appropriate documentation. It is That Doctors note I will be getting. I do thank you for trying to help though
    You may want to get a new signed note from your doctor. According to the Couples website (I posted the text above), a photocopy is not accepted.

Sorry pk, I was confusing you with Caroline & Tony who mentioned 10 years.
    Since your note will be new it should be fine. I would personally think a photocopy should be ok. What if you were to be diving several places? They can't all expect an original can they?! But a call to the resort can verify it and put your mind at rest.
    Have a great time diving!