Default San Souci...1st time.....questions

We always go to Couples during the week after Christmas and thru New Years. This year we are trying Sans Souci for the 1st time. We have been to the other resorts and love them (all for different reasons).
    Here are a few concerns.....replys appreciated.
    Are the stairs really that bad? Is it constant climbing?
    We have signed up for an Deluxe Ocean Veranda.
    Do they all have balconies? Are the balconies large enough to have dinner on? Can you see the ocean from all of them?
    Any suggestions on the best rooms in this category?
    Is the room service food as good as the food in the restaurants?
    Is the beach really all that small?
    How is the swimming? we are totally ocean people not pool people.
    Is it difficult to get dinner reservations?
    Any and all replys will be appreciated. As you can see, we are a bit apprehensive about SS but determined to try it.
    Many thanks!

beaches,

We've been to CSS 3 times and just love it!! We'll do our best to answer your questions:
    - There are stairs that go up and down from the different levels (i.e. beach to C-D block). It's not constant climbing and there is an elevator by the mineral pool that goes up to G-Block. They aren't bad and are good after some of those big meals.
    - We've never stayed in a Deluxe Ocean Veranda suite so can't help you on that one. Here's the accommodation descriptions http://couples.com/14cs/45accomodationsCS.htm which would indicate that it has a large balcony. From the description given you should be able to see the ocean from the balcony (we've stayed in G-block and had a beutiful view of the ocean).
    - Yes, the room service food is excellent...as good as what's at the restaurants.
    - No, the beach isn't all that small and it is private! Here's a link to some pictures we took that include the beach http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecsimso...7621684193991/. There's also Sunset Beach if you're looking for the all-over tan.
    - The swimming is good and the water is usually clear and calm.
    - No, it's not difficult to get dinner reservations. Just plan on eating at Bella Vista the first night as it's unlikely you'll get into Cassanova or Palazzina the first night. This isn't bad since you'll get to dine right by the ocean!

Hope you enjoy your trip and remember, when in Jamaica - no worries!!

Bart & Bug

I'll give these a go:

Stairs aren't that bad unless you make them that way. There are multiple routes to get places. For example, I can think of four distinct ways to get to the lobby from the beach: fairly direct with a good number of steepish steps, up the access road (slightly steep but few stairs and not terribly scenic), and a few steps up and down with an elevator ride (not for the clausterphobic), or a few steps up and down with a meandering sloped path. And of course, you can always call for a van (very quick and easy).

Veranda rooms are going to scattered throughout Blocks D, E, F or G (maybe C, but I don't think so). Some of the rooms are smaller, more akin to what you'd see as a typical hotel room as opposed to a full-on two-room suite. They all have balconies. Dinner for two is comfortable with the provided table and chairs; anything more might be tight. I have not seen a room where you can't see the ocean, but I haven't seen all the rooms. If you're unhappy with location/view/size, don't hesitate to ask, as the rooms are not cookie-cutter in the least, and they're very accomodating.

I've been happy with room service, but I don't think it compares to, say Cassanova, which is my favorite restaurant. I'm not sure, however, that it has to do with the food so much as I love the whole experience of eating in a nice restaurant. We tend to use room service for snacks and such, and we love it for that.

The size of the beach to me is relative. We live near a huge beach that goes for hundreds of miles. The beach(es) at CSS aren't like that, but we love them. The privacy is to us fantastic. Somebody else can probably give you dimensions. You can't walk for miles, but if you're up for walking, the grounds are huge and gorgeous with plenty of paths.

No answer about swimming in the ocean; I'm lazy and prefer to float around like a slug.

We've never had a problem getting reservations for dinner, but when they're at capacity, the "prime" dining times will go fairly quickly, so if you put it off, you may have to eat later or earlier than you would otherwise wish.

We had been to CSA several times before we tried CSS last year. CSS is absolutely lovely and the staff are exceptional. I think that you will love it, too.

We stayed in a beachfront suite, so I can't answer your question regarding your room category.

There are a lot of stairs, no doubt about it. But if you prefer, you can walk the access roads if you don't want to climb the stairs. I looked at it as part of the workout. A lot of the activities are at beach level, and if you hang out there most of the day, you would probably only be climbing stairs a few times a day.

The beach is smaller than, say CSA, but it absolutely never felt crowded, and we never had a problem finding lounges (and this was during peak season in January). We loved the fact that the beach is private and quiet. If you want a romantic stroll with the SO, stroll the grounds, or the jogging track wraps around a huge pond and the tennis courts.

The room service menu is more limited than any of the restaurants, but we thought the food was quite good. Order several appetizers! The service was also very quick.

We are beach people, too. The swimming was fine. Because it is in a cove, the water is calm.

We had no problem getting dinner reservations for Casanova or Palazzina at night. One night we couldn't eat on the verandah at Palazzina because we made our reservation late in the day, but it was very nice eating inside, too.

I really think that you will like CSS!

Wow, lots of questions. Here goes:
    The stairs aren't bad at all.
    I don't know the classes of rooms that well, but I'm pretty sure ocean veranda is E-block, which has very large balconies, and good ocean view unless you're on first floor.
    Room service is very good.
    The beach size is perfect for the number of rooms at the resort.
    We swim in the pool, not much in the ocean.
    We've never had a problem getting reservations at all.

We were wondering all the same things as "beaches". This will be our firt time to CSS and are a little apprehensive but totally looking forward to it. We are booked in ROH and hope to get a patio or balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by beaches View Post
    . . . . Is the beach really all that small?
    How is the swimming? we are totally ocean people not pool people . . . .
    The main beach at CSS is very pretty. It is not small when compared to the beach at CTI but is very small when compared to the beaches at CSA and CN. The most disappointing aspect about the beach at CSS for us was that the ocean floor was mucky in many spots in the area designated for swimming. We prefer the firmer sandy floors at CN and CSA.

The ocean floor off of the a/n beach is very rocky. I definitely would have packed water shoes had I known.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We just got back from CSS, and LOVED it. Here are my answers:

Are the stairs really that bad? Is it constant climbing?
    No....and almost! There are LOTS of stairs that you will climb a lot unless you are in A or B. Then C, then D. Then F and G - they would have the most climbing. We looked it as a great way to exercise, and I really do think it helped us not gain as much weight! You can walk along the back driveway and parking lot to prevent a lot of the stairs if you need to, but we tried to just enjoy the stairs!

Indymommy
    We have signed up for an Deluxe Ocean Veranda.
    Do they all have balconies? Are the balconies large enough to have dinner on? Can you see the ocean from all of them?
    Any suggestions on the best rooms in this category?
    Is the room service food as good as the food in the restaurants?
    Is the beach really all that small?
    How is the swimming? we are totally ocean people not pool people.
    Is it difficult to get dinner reservations?
    Any and all replys will be appreciated. As you can see, we are a bit apprehensive about SS but determined to try it.