Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CSS Oct. 9-16. Looong Write Up & Pics

Once again, we visited a Couples Resort in Jamaica. This time Couples Sans Souci (CSS), just outside of Ocho Rios. We left 9 October from Memphis. The flight was good, until 30 minutes out of Jamaica. Then we saw the black clouds we were to fly into. Not good. Instead of a pretty view of Montego Bay, we didn't see the ground until just before touching down. Pouring rain. But immigration went well, and we were quickly at the Couples Lounge. We had, with several other couples, a 20 minute wait for the buses. Pour me a Red Stripe, No problem!! Once on the bus, it was off to CSS. Jamaica driving is exciting enough, pouring down rain doesn't help. We saw two crashes along the way. It did stop for a bit when we made a pit stop 30 minutes short of the resort. But more rain as we got rolling. At CSS, we started checking in. I was told the best day to go to Dunn's River Falls was on a Sunday, no cruise ships. So, while Linda was checking in, I made reservations for the next morning. Then off to our room. I was hoping for "A" or "B" Block. We got a ground floor room in "D". Oh well. The room itself was great. A fourier, LARGE bedroom, big bathroom with walk in shower. a living room with couch, tables, Large screen (as did the bed room) TV, and bar. Best; a nice balcony with a good view of the beach and ocean. Not disappointed at all. Into swim suits (it's still raining) and to the beach. OK, the water is muddy. A quick bite to eat at the beach restaurant and to the pool. Now it's 5 pm. We discovered the bar closes at 5, but we get a drink anyway. There are 3 other couples at the bar and pool. Note that it's still raining!! Hey, we were there to get wet! We decide to go back to the room. Had room service send us dinner, then sacked out.

Sunday morning, still raining. CRAP! But did get to see twin rainbows. Good sign for those getting married that day. OK, it's to Dunn's River Falls (http://www.dunnsriverja.com/) with several other couples. The pictures of the falls shows a nice pool and the main falls. It does NOT say the total falls is a 90 foot drop, and we're gonna climb UP it. Do NOT bring anything that is not water and shock proof!! But this was fun. We had GREAT guides. Don't forget to bring "Tip Money". Back at the resort, still raining. Lunch, then to the "Game Room" so we can check the computers there. Hey!! The Colts are on!! That took care of the afternoon. We have indoor dinner reservations (yep, still raining) at the "Casanova Restaurant". A few Rum Creams before dinner at the "Balloon Bar" first. Then a fabulous meal.

Monday morning, NO rain! Beautiful morning. The beach water is still muddy AT the shore, but clear once you get out a few yards. Sadly, the sand feels mucky, and there is a mud cloud behind those walking through it. Don't know if this is a normal condition, or a result of the Hurricane a week earlier. Just know that we will be wearing Water Shoes from now on. As for the beach; the sand is gravely with tiny pieces of shells, sort of like Florida's west coast. Water Shoes or Rubber Sandals would be a good idea. The pool and pool bar were another story; nice size, with a good bartender.

Tuesday, it's my birthday and another beautiful morning. I must have been good!! We go on the shopping trip to Ocho Rios (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocho_Rios) . Linda wanted to hit the HD Store for a shirt for her daughter, and then we went to the Hard Rock Cafe (bar isn't open til Wednesday, assuming when the cruise ships come in), for a shirt for my daughter. A little more beach, a little more pool. Then it's the Beach Dinner and buffet. We were seated with 2 sets of newly weds. Cool. Both were fun to talk to. Then the evening entertainment; A Steel Drum group called "The Silver Birds" (http://www.silverbirdsentertainment.com/). OUTSTANDING!! In my album below, you will see pics AND videos of this group. Linda then got me back to the room, where Room Service brought me a birthday cake (double double chocolate), a fruit tray, and a bottle of champagne. Yes, a good birthday indeed!!

Wednesday, we checked out the rest of the grounds again. Looks much better when it's not raining. Looked into making a reservation for for a free "Returnees Massage". Spent some time at the Spa's pool where only 3 other couples were. And what a great view from this entire area. For the Message, we were sent to the "Tuck Away" spa where we got a great message. I had been having problems with my right hip for several days BEFORE we left (not good at the falls), and Linda's legs were still sore. After the message, we felt great. Should have gotten this 2 days earlier! Wednesday is also "Lobster Night", and well worth the wait. This was even better than the Lobster we had at CN last year.

Thursday and Friday went by much too quickly. We tried out the Paddle Boats (harder than it looks) and the Kayak. Lots of pool and beach time as well. Thursday was also the "Manager's Cocktail Party" AND "Returnee's Dinner". The dinner WAS spectacular, that took the better part of two and a half hours to go through. Each table got a member of the resort management. We were graced with the Manager of the gift shop. A very attractive and delightful woman. We learned much about Jamaica. And since she has a 7 year old daughter, the Jamaican Schools. We also enjoyed the "Gala" Friday night, but had to get to bed early. Our bus was to pick us up at 7:30 am.

This was a great week. It would be easy to go into comparisons of Couples Negril (CN) and CSS. But they are two entirely different resorts. CN has a spectacular beach with that "Sugar Sand" that seems to go on forever. CSS has the spectacular grounds that is more like the Garden Of Eden. The best thing to do when repeating to a Couple Resort is to go as if you've never been to a Couples before. Below is a LARGE album of pics. Hopefully, they can the feel of the resort.

And more Resort Lessons Learned (RLL);

RLL 1) Weather forecasts for Jamaica are totally worthless. Forecasts called for thunderstorms EVERY day and night for the entire week we were there. Other than the all dayers Saturday and Sunday, we had beautiful weather.

RLL2) Dunn's River Falls is NOT for fat old people!!

RLL3) CSS involves a lot of walking and stair climbing.

RLL4) Rain in Jamaica is a lot warmer than rain in Tennessee.

RLL 5) Lobster Night is NOT to be missed.

RLL 6) It really pays to register for the "Romance Rewards".

RLL 7) "Bob Marleys" deserve their reputation!!

RLL 8) Parrots bite!!

RLL 9) The "Ground Floor" of "D" Block is higher then the 3rd floor of "A" Block. There were 49 steps from the beach to our room.

RLL 10) It IS possible to sun burn lips.

RLL 11) Do NOT miss any of the soups.

RLL 12) When Security says "You have been selected", it does NOT mean you won a free trip!!

RLL 13) The people of Jamaica are fiercely proud of their country. You see the National colors of Green, Black, and Yellow everywhere. I think I was most impressed with this.

As usual, Album Pics are below;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8208088...7625068489245/

Great pics and review. We are doing SR in November and we are hoping for CSS. Thanks for sharing.
    Kim

Loved your pictures... we head to CSS in 20 days!!!

Loved your review Your RLL's are just priceless, and literally made my LOL more then once. Going to check out your pictures now. We head to CSS on Jan 30 for our first Couples trip and just cannot wait!!

Thanks for the review! Smiled as I read it - and RLL's are well noted. Glad you had fun - we booked the SR for November 18-25, so we have no idea where we're going, and reading these awesome reviews only makes me more excited! (and a form of torture... are we there yet????)

Great review!! What was the type of room you had booked at CSS?

Thanks so much for the review and pictures and videos. Looks like you had a wonderful time. We'll be at CSS in Feb. so I'm really appreciate any information I can find here on the board.

Not sure I understand the rule about security. Do you mean on the CSS property? Why would you be "selected" for anything? (Sounds a little scary to me!)

Thanks again...loved all the pictures!

Looks like you enjoyed your time at CSS, the pictures are beatiful! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Not sure I understand the rule about security. Do you mean on the CSS property? Why would you be "selected" for anything? (Sounds a little scary to me!)

Thanks again...loved all the pictures!
    ....Should have been more clear; it was "Airport Security", at Montego Bay Airport. I'm guessing they had an alert. Security was VERY tight leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelBug View Post
    Great review!! What was the type of room you had booked at CSS?
    ....We had a "One Bedroom Ocean Suite". We were put in a Ground Floor room in "D Block". Not disappointed with the room at all. Had a great view (as seen in the pics from our balcony) of the beach AND ocean. We really liked the over sized walk in shower.

Quote Originally Posted by tracyl View Post
    Loved your pictures... we head to CSS in 20 days!!!
    ....Expect to have a wonderful time. The grounds are awesome. Bring walking shoes!!

what restaurant has the wednesday lobster

Jacher, They all have lobster on Wednesday night as long as it is not the off season. Last year my husband odered 2 right away, and the cook had to come see us and see who ordered 2 lobsters right away. It was nice talking to him.
    Linda

Thanks! I should have guessed you meant the airport, not the resort. I'm so focused on 10 nights at CSS, I don't tend to think about actually GETTING there. LOL!

Hi acranger, Thanks for the great review! I liked your lessons learned and your photos were beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Cryter29 View Post
    Hi acranger, Thanks for the great review! I liked your lessons learned and your photos were beautiful!
    ....Thankyou. I also did "Live From CSS Sunday" daily while we were there.

Thank you so much for posting these pictures! We will be at CSS Feb. 1 - Feb 11, and we're already counting days!

Quote Originally Posted by acranger View Post
    . . . . Sadly, the sand feels mucky . . . Don't know if this is a normal condition, or a result of the Hurricane a week earlier. Just know that we will be wearing Water Shoes from now on . . . .
    We've only been to CSS once, and that was in August 2009. We had no storm activity but found the ocean floor in the swimming area of the main beach to be mucky as well. It was one of our biggest disappointments about CSS.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Thanks! I should have guessed you meant the airport, not the resort. I'm so focused on 10 nights at CSS, I don't tend to think about actually GETTING there. LOL!
    ....I think y'all will have a great time at CSS. Just bring some "Walking Shoes" and a pair of "Water Shoes" (sold at the gift store). There are a lot of things to see and do.

We LOVE building D and if my bathroom at home was big enough I'd figure out how to put a shower in it like the ones in building D. I just love that shower!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thanks for posting!!! We are going to CSS our first time in Jamaica and are very excited!! I start packing this week! We will be there Nov 13. and I am hoping for pretty weather!! thanks again!!

lisa

Quote Originally Posted by blueizzntx View Post
    Thanks for posting!!! We are going to CSS our first time in Jamaica and are very excited!! I start packing this week! We will be there Nov 13. and I am hoping for pretty weather!! thanks again!!

lisa
    ....Don't let weather reports frighten you. Just expect to have fun.

Thanks for posting your review! We've been to CSA twice, love it, but are considering CSS for a new experience. Can't wait to view your pics -- headed there now! Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza14 View Post
    Thanks for posting your review! We've been to CSA twice, love it, but are considering CSS for a new experience. Can't wait to view your pics -- headed there now! Thanks again...
    ....CSS should be an entirely different experience from CSA. At least it was for us going from CN.

Thanks for sharing your pictures! We are headed to CSS 3 weeks today....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast