Default A few Q's about Dunn's River Falls

We are going to CSS in 3 weeks and had a few questions about the Dunn's River Falls trip...

- I have heard it's about a 10-15 minute drive. About how long are you actually at the falls?
    - Is it a difficult climb for someone who is not in the best shape?
    - Are there are any portions of the climb that REQUIRE swimming?
    - Are there restrooms available?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kaal View Post
    We are going to CSS in 3 weeks and had a few questions about the Dunn's River Falls trip...

- I have heard it's about a 10-15 minute drive. About how long are you actually at the falls?

About two hours.

- Is it a difficult climb for someone who is not in the best shape?

The falls should be no problem, you do not climb very fast.

- Are there are any portions of the climb that REQUIRE swimming?

No, you are never over your head, but you will get wet.

- Are there restrooms available?

Yes, when you walk in and near the bottom.

Thanks!
    Purchase water shoes before you leave and bring them with you.

Enjoy.
    Irie Mon

Is there an area to lock away your things? (change of clothes,wallet,etc.)

We went a few years ago. There are stairs that go to the bottom, with stopping places along the way and GUESS WHAT! If, after taking the stairs down and watching the people climbing back to the top via the falls, you CAN take those same stairs back up to the, taking pictures along the way of all those people CLIMBING back up.. That is how we did Dunn's Falls.
    To each his own......

If you bring water shoes and have never worn them before I suggest getting them one size smaller than your regular shoes. If they are too loose then you will get little rocks in your shoes, and that is no fun. Water shoes should be a little snug, like fins are kind of snug.

I disagree with the part about being in shape. You don't have to be in great shape to climb but, I promise if u r not in good shape you will either feel it later that night or the next morning. With that being said, I do not want u not to do it. I myself am not in good shape. The next day after the climb every muscle in my body hurt and the ones that I didn't have were hurting. I plan to do it again with my husband this time when we go to CTI next year. So even though I was in moderate pain the next day, I am still willing to do it again. It was the best excursion and fun.

I went to the falls in 1985. It was natural and beautiful with no vendors pushing purchases. I was back again in 2009(and much older then my previous 23 years of age!). I found it to be difficult to climb ( am in very good shape for my age and very active) The rocks are slippery and the water is cold and rushes quickly. I fell on my k nee and didnt make it to the top but there are places to get out. It is nice to see once in your life time but be prepared for a stenuous climb. Also I hated that all the vendors are lined up on the exit trail and even though I was injured, they made us walk thru to get to our bus. Of course they are hoping for purchases even though we brought no money with us. They also pressure purchases of a video and pictures. I do recommend taking your own water shoes. You can pick them up for 5 bucks. If you dont bring them. they stop at a vendor where you can rent them for 5 buck but they are weird and worn over and over by a lot of people so if this skeives you out, bring you own. I wound have rather relaxe4d at the beach. It would have been much better if we were not being attacked to buy stuff to get out of the place!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blove View Post
    Yes there are lockers and they even suggest you share with someone on the same tour as yourselves. We did this and no problem mon!
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

You leave you towels and extra clothes on the bus. Carry just your tip money and leave everything else back at the resort in the safe.
    Irie Mon

My wife and I did the Dunn's trip in August, and we really enjoyed it. It is certainly a wet/slippery climb though.

You don't have to be in perfect shape, but if you struggle with balance or have limited vision, you may want to think twice. In our group (from CSS) there were three people that fell. One fell several times and ended up exiting early with some cuts and bruises. If you would need a handrail to climb a steep set of stairs it may be better to take a pass on Dunn's.

Its a great chance to get to know a group of people from the resort though

Default No lockers

Your probably not going to need a change of clothes as it is quite warm and don't bring any valuables with you. If you do, you either have to carry them with you up the falls or leave it on the bus. The bus drivers are not employed by Couples so you would be taking a risk by leaving it there. Bring a few dollars with you for a tip, and more if you want to shop. You are sent directly through the gift shop after the climb so if you don't want to buy anything, be the first one in the group to exit walk quickly and don't make eye contact. Have fun!

I climbed Dunns river in November last year. We had watershoes already but you can rent them at the falls if you don't want to buy tem in advance.

We're both in our 40's, reasonably good shape but my other half did have a hip problem (he's since had a hip replacmeent!) and we both found the climb a breeze as they don't go fast.

Enjoy it and don't get too worked up by the vendors at the exit. We found a firm no and keep walking worked.

Well I can tell you that not having any money doesn't always work. When we did DRF in 2005 we made the "mistake" of stoping and talking to a wood carver. Before we knew it he had our names carved into several pieces. I kept telling him that I had no money on me and of course he said no problem mon. He said we could just leave it at the desk at COR and his brother who worked there would pick it up for us. We ended up at something like $110 and he let us take our carvings and leave trusting that we would leave the money for him. I don't even think he got our full names. I didn't want to spend the money, but do enjoy the items we bought now.

We really enjoyed the falls and probably will do them again when we are at CSS in December. It is such a unique thing to do I wouldn't miss it, especially if you have never been.

DRF was a great thing to do if this would be your first trip to the couples resorts. You climb for an hour or so, you are always in a line with people infront of you and behind you, who help you out no matter what. My husband was behind me and they tend to put you in a boy, girl, boy line up. The guides were great and very helpful! As for the end, just walk briskly right by the vendors and you will be fine! Definitely a must do for your first time, but we will not be doing upon return
    PS!! Take a water camera with you!! Not only will you have great pics that you take yourself, the guides take it for you so you have couples shots of yourself at each spot! We are using some for our christmas cards this year!