Default any runners Dec 9-16th

Any one up for a run? Iíll be training for my next half-marathon. If any one else is training and looking for a running buddy. Letís talk. I can hold about a 11:30 pace. Need to get in 4-5 runs. From 5k to 10mi. Normally I run early (dawn) AM, not sure that will be the time frame while in Jamaica.

Don
    halfmarathondon@sbcglobal.net

Hey Don. If you don't mind doing stairs, CSS makes for a nice spot to run. DH and I will be there in January, and are a bit brisker with regard to pace, but you know we'll be doing the resort loop several times.

If you start at the jogging trail, and run around it, and then in front of A/B blocks, up the steps and past the mineral pool/spa, up some more steps, past the Hibiscus cottage, and then down some driveways/hills back to the trail, you'll get in just over a mile per loop. It's a great workout, too, since you've got stairs and hills. We love it.

Good luck in your next half.

When's the full? Done one yet? There's nothing like it.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Hi Vee, thanks for the info. 1 mi loop with stairs and hills would be fun.

I was thinking of running the A3 into Ocho and back. Is that doable / safe?

Three fullís so far. I thought that was you who passed me in Greek Town I finished with a 5:44. I was on pace for a 5:15, bonked big time on Cermak. At StL and KC in 09 I came in around 5:30.

Also did my first Oly Tri in Chicago this past Aug. Loved it. Already signed up for 2011

Next 13.1 is Key West FL in Jan.

My son-in-law did IM Madison last year in 12hr. What a thrill that was to watch.

Hats off to you IronMom, thanks for the info.
    Don

There's no way I would run along the A3 in JA. Not because it's not "safe" with regard to the people, but the traffic is crazy and the shoulder is sketchy as best. (Note: I LOVE trail running, but not when I have to dodge cars at the same time.) Unless you HAVE to get a really long run in, I would stick to 5 miles on resort property. That's what we do. With the hills, it feels like 6 or 7 -- but we're from Florida, so hills... HA!

If you DO decide to try running on the A3, see if you can recruit a staff member to go with you. A lot of times, the personal trainer or someone in the gym will be up for it. They know/understand the honk system. It's an art from what I understand.

Loved Chicago this year. Time doesn't count, since it was so freakin' hot. I was hoping to hit 4:10, but gave that up really quickly. I swear it was just me and one other guy running during the last 3 miles. Dodging walkers right and left. You've gotta try Marine Corp. One of the most inspirational races I've ever done. I'm doing it again in October next year, and now I'm looking for a race in the spring. (Maybe LA. Or Nashville.) In between marathons, I do adventure racing! Talk about fun. My tri days are past, but that's just because I'm too lazy to haul all the gear out there at the crack of dawn. Yuck. Give me shoes, Garmin and iPod and I'm good to go!!

Thanks for the scoop on the A3. May have saved my life. I do need to get a 10mi in during the week. Worst case is 10 washing machine loops in the resort.

For a fun spring 26.2, you might consider the Flying Pig in Cincinnati May 1st. Itís a hoot! I did the 13.1 in 09. Iíll be doing Hospital Hill (13.1) in KC June 4th. KC is another great place to race. The KC full is not till Oct.

Too funny about your Tri days being behind you. The ChicagoTri set-up was at 04:30. My swim wave didnít go till 8:24. I caught a cab back to my room, had breakfast, then a cab back to the start.

Iíll look into the USMC. May have to look into that Adventure Racing as well. I love running trails.
    Last edited by halfmarathondon; October 28th, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Me, too. I'm doing a trail half next weekend called the Wild Horse.
    Check it out.... www.tamparaces.com.

Since you're heading to sunny FLA anyway you might look into the Florida Challenge Trail Half. That's a really nice one, but it's ALL on technical single track trails, so it's slower and a LOT of work.

How are the crowds at the Flying Pig? I was looking at it at the Chicago Expo?

The FL trail races look very cool. Trail races here are mostly steep rocky hills, not many flat sections.

The Pig had 26,000 total runners last year. Most run the full marathon. The crowd support at the Pig reminds me of the crowds when we ran though Boyís Town (mi 7.5 Addison turning onto Broadway) . Lotís of cheering, almost all water stations in costume or at least themes. Itís well organized and the whole metro area supports it. Note: there will be hills. One assent is 3.25 mi long (the view from the top is worth the climb). Overall itís not as bad as KC. But it ainít flat by any means.

Good luck, next weekend. Iíll be back in Chicago for the Hot Chocolate 15K http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/