Thread: Cn dress code

Default Cn dress code

Hi We are leaving for CN at the end of the week. This will be our first trip to Couples and we are both so looking forward to it. My fiance thinks that I am planning on packing way too many clothes. Can I confirm with any of you what the actual dress code is like. I have read the dress code on the main website. My fiance said that there will definitely be places for dinner where we can arrive in nice shorts, sandals and a top. Is this accurate or should I bring sundresses and capri outfits for dinner every night? Any information that you could provide would really be appreciated. I work very long hours during the week and I will have to begin packing a couple of days in advance because I will not have the time at the last minute to throw everything together. He wants to take only one suitcase but if I bring sundresses and capri outfits for every evening I will have to insist on more than one suitcase. Thanks!

If you plan to dine at Otaheite (and you should at least once! - you need to make a reservation), you would want a nice sun dress (you'll even see some more 'cocktail-type-dresses'/heels) and your fiance needs long pants, a nice collared shirt and closed-toe shoes; otherwise capri or shorts nice outfits are very appropriate at the other dining spots. During the day mostly you'll be wearing swim suit/coverup (and maybe shorts, if needed for dining), so you really don't need a alot of clothes!!! You will have the best time at CN, you are so lucky to go!! My Hubby and I went 3 times in the last 3 years and then he passed away this last April, so I'm sending my Daughter and her Fiance to CN in December for a pre-wedding getaway! CN is the most romantic destination!! Have fun and make sure to submit a trip report here when you return!!

Quote Originally Posted by kebopat View Post
    Hi We are leaving for CN at the end of the week. This will be our first trip to Couples and we are both so looking forward to it. My fiance thinks that I am planning on packing way too many clothes. Can I confirm with any of you what the actual dress code is like. I have read the dress code on the main website. My fiance said that there will definitely be places for dinner where we can arrive in nice shorts, sandals and a top. Is this accurate or should I bring sundresses and capri outfits for dinner every night? Any information that you could provide would really be appreciated. I work very long hours during the week and I will have to begin packing a couple of days in advance because I will not have the time at the last minute to throw everything together. He wants to take only one suitcase but if I bring sundresses and capri outfits for every evening I will have to insist on more than one suitcase. Thanks!
    ....Most of the restaurants at CN allow more casual attire such as shorts and tops for men & women. This is referred to as "Resort Casual". At most, you might want a "Sundress" for yourself. You will see a lot of women wearing this in the evening. As for men; go with slacks (Chinos) or nice shorts with a button up (bring those Hawaiian shirts the guys all have!!) or Polo type shirt for the evening. Men should pack closed toe shoes. Note that the resort is "Romance". As are all the restaurants. Dress as if you're going on a romantic date.

kebopat, your fiance is correct. For all but Otaheite, you can wear nice shorts and top and sandals. Otaheite is dressier and you do need to have something much nicer and long pants and closed shoes for him. You will see some people that "dress to the nines" and love to get REALLY dressed up for all the restaurants, but you will see many in nice shorts and tops and that is OK for the other three. Enjoy! All the restaurants are great and you WILL want to try all of them, but don't have to take dresses for all.

You can bring nice shorts, top and sandals or you can wear sundresses or capris. Whatever you are comfortable in. I usually bring sundresses because they are comfortable.

I use to always over pack and have really cut down on what I bring. This past year I brought 2 sundresses, 2 skirts and 4 or 5 tops and of course bathing suits, that a two pairs of sandals and I am good.

Your fiance is right. You could wear shorts and a top every evening to dinner if you wanted to. (except for Oteheite)But I liked wearing a sundress or skirt at night. You see people wearing whatever they feel great in. No problems or worries. And you don't have to pack a lot!

Default CN Dress Code

Thank you all for responding so quickly.
    I will definitely post on the message board when I return. This message board is such a wonderful tool and the least I can do is contribute something after I return.
    Thanks again!

Default CN Dress Code

HI All

One final question...Do people wear shorts to the beach party?

Bring more swimsuits and coverups, than evening dress. If you're there for a week, at least 3 suits and coverups because they won't dry overnight. One "nice" outfit for each of you: dockers, polo or Hawaiian shirt, real shoes for him and a sundress, long pants/dressy top or equivalent for you. Capris and tops for rest of evenings. I LOVE the Piano Bar because it is nice and cool, but you may want to bring something long-sleeved or a light wrap if you are often cold. Skip jeans for either--its too hot. Don't forget hats, sunscreen, mosquito repellant (if you're mosquito bait like me) and a great attitude. This is your vacation: YOU enjoy it. Our last trip I made do with the sandals I flew in and slides for the pool.

I am going to CN 2 weeks from today. Can anyone answer why the men have to wear closed toe shoes but women can wear open toed sandals??? Weird!!

Angeljul, It is only Otaheite that requires him to have closed toe shoes and I think the reason is that is dressier and women can have dressy open toe sandals. It is definitely worth it, so make sure to bring some. The food is great there, as well as all the restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by angeljul View Post
    I am going to CN 2 weeks from today. Can anyone answer why the men have to wear closed toe shoes but women can wear open toed sandals??? Weird!!
    I would imagine that it's because women's shoes can be quite dressy without having closed toes. I have open toe high heeled sandals that I have worn to black tie events with couture gowns. My husband does not own a single pair of open-toed shoes that can claim that.

Are they different standards, yes and no, and what the Couples website should say is "dress shoes required." But people always try to push the envelope somehow.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Women's dressy shoes are typically sandal shape and men's dressy shoes are closed toe shoes. They just want this place to have a little more elegant atmosphere to it. It's just one resturaunt.

For all restaurants but Otaheite, women can wear decent shorts, skirt, or slacks. For Otaheite, nice slacks and sundress are fine; some really dress up but you don't have to. Women can wear open-toed sandals -- however, flip-flops and the like don't cut it.

Bottom line -- if you're looking for an excuse to dress up, this is it. However, if you are the casual type, you can go as casual as you want (for all but Otaheite). Most women wear slacks, skirts or nice shorts for dinner.

Pack LESS than what you think. Seriously. We've now taken 6 trips and I still overpack. You CAN wear the same thing more than once -- whether you want to is your choice.

....Resort Rules.

Women's sandals can be very dressy, so dressy that they can even be appropriate with formal wear, but men's sandals are generally always casual. Because CN wants Otaheite to have a less casual dress code, the men's closed shoe guideline is designed to ensure that guest dress isn't too casual. (BTW, the shoe criterion for men specified "closed" shoes, not "closed toe" shoes.)

While women can wear sandals, the expectation is that they will wear dressier sandals and not some rubber beach thongs.
    Last edited by Pamela; October 28th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).