Default Just returned from CN, update on CHANGES !

Just back from a great 8 day stay at Couples Negril. We usually stay at CSA, but decided to try a full visit to CN this year. Had a great time. I did tons of research before our visit, but I decided to post some of my observations, and update people about changes at the resort.

The place was extremely clean. Probably the most people cleaning around the resort that I have ever experienced at a resort. Not sure it this is the norm, or if it was the off season " deep clean".

Flag service on the beach, wonderful. Even when I did not put up my flag, they still checked on me every hour, to see if they could get me something. They usually brought me over a cup a fresh ice water every hour without asking. I saw 3 people working the beach and pool area at all times. They did pass out fruit kabobs every morning.

Spa relocated to building 9 on the first floor. Room 9107 is being used at the spa office. Each room is being used at massage room. Beds have been replaced with massage tables , plants placed around the room, and candles and incense going in each room. Only one person or couple per room. Set up was not at all bad. On the day we left, they were removing the wood deck, walkway and bridge to the spa. The spa is suppose to receive a complete facelift.

Buildings 1 and 2 closed. On our second day at the resort, I walked over and checked out the area. On that day, there was jack hammering happening. However, I did not hear it the rest of the week. I walked around this area on our last day, and the bathrooms had been completely " gutted". Bathtubs, toilets, sink area were all completely gone. Whatever, was on the walls had also been completely removed. The bathroom was pretty much an empty shell. I think the jack hammering had happened when they were removing the toilets and bathtubs, which is complete. In the bedroom, everything had been removed from the rooms, and the shelves and everything removed from the walls. The sleeping area, will all be completely refreshed, but not changed, only changes with the bathroom.

Room service, the Suites all now have nightly in room dining menus if they would like to dine in their room every night.

Water sports- new hours, 830-430pm.

Nude beach bar- very nice bar, the nudes said they really enjoyed it.

Catamaran cruise is now something that is signed up for at Guest Service area, not the water sports area. Also, you can not sign up more then 2 days in advance, so people on short trips cannot complain about not getting on the boat.

Guest Relations desk is on the Sunset Deck, behind the 3 swinging hammocks. The area is enlarged, and has 2 computer terminals set up .

Air conditioners are being replaced in all rooms, 75% complete.

The dive pool and deck has been completely renewed.

Lobster night. I am not sure what the norm was in the past, but I was very impressed by the lobster serving, compared with the other Couple's resorts. Each restaurant served you 2 medium lobster tails per serving.

The lap area in the ocean was made larger then I remember in the past. It was a over 25 feet. I know this does not sound like a big deal, but his large separation, kept the jet ski guys further away from the the floating area, and they rarely bothered you while swimming.

Security on the beach- someone returned from CN a few months ago commented about being bothered by the time share salesmen on the beach. The timeshare sales people are no longer approaching you on the beach. They sit at the property lines, and approach you there if you walk off property. Less vendors, including beach musicians then in previous years.

These are just some of the changes I noticed, any further questions just ask.

WOW!! I'm a CSA loyalist, but this review almost makes me want to try CN!! Sounds wonderful!! Hopefully they'll continue that bathroom remodel down the road at CSA soon!!

Thanks for the update. We head back to CN next Saturday for our 3rd trip. Appreciate the new dive shop hours as we head there as soon as we arrive to sign-up for Sunday diving. I hope Karl is still running it and Jovan is still there.

We have always stayed in Bldg 3 and have asked for it again. Hope it is not too loud with the renovations going on in 1 & 2.

Betty
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

I have read/heard rumors of GLN playing music very loudly on the beach which can be heard throughout the resort.

I remember our last trip to CN and walking the beach past RUI and seeing the large speakers and techno music blaring and thought, "I am glad we do not have to listen to that at CN".

Did you all experience or hear the music from GLN from the CN property and how disruptive is it?
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, Booked CN Dec 2014 2015,

Thanks for the updates

Now I'm MORE excited about our visit in December....thanks!

It all sounds great...thanks for the update!

Glad to hear, we are booked to return next Aug and are excited to have something new to see in the room. Not that we disliked the rooms at all, actually we really loved the home feeling of the place.

The rumors of the music from the old Breezed is true. It usually starts on the days that they have water aerobics in the ocean ( I think around 10am), they brought large speakers out onto the beach, and usually kept the music up very loud until lunch time. I believe it was on Monday, Wednesday and Friday that they did the water aerobics. At lunch time they would turn off the music, and then bring the loud speaker system into their lunch area, and from there you could only hear the loud announcements if you were walking on their beach, not at Couples.
    Worst part is, it is not even Reggae music, just very loud " techno" type music with wayyyyy too much bass. When I walked to Office of Nature one day ( the other side of Riu), they were joking because they too could hear the bass where they were located. I know people at GLN were also complaining , so I am hoping that they tone it down, because I do not know how people on their beach could even talk to one another with how loud they had the music turned up.

This is great info, thanks!

Honeymooning there in 12 days

With all the changes being made to CN today. When do they expect to be finished or will this be a ongoing refurbishment? The Chrismas season or the high season is coming will the number of rooms be limited?

Having stayed at Couples Negril 5 times in the last 5 years, imagine how that worked out , I am not happy to hear of some other resorts loud music. Was never a problem in February when we go. Glad to hear about the renovations. Will be there in 54 days after spending 7 days at Swept Away.

Did anyone say when the renovations to Buildings 1 and 2 will be complete?
    Have a Happy Day!

Quote Originally Posted by schwieso View Post
    The rumors of the music from the old Breezed is true. It usually starts on the days that they have water aerobics in the ocean ( I think around 10am), they brought large speakers out onto the beach, and usually kept the music up very loud until lunch time. I believe it was on Monday, Wednesday and Friday that they did the water aerobics. At lunch time they would turn off the music, and then bring the loud speaker system into their lunch area, and from there you could only hear the loud announcements if you were walking on their beach, not at Couples.
    Worst part is, it is not even Reggae music, just very loud " techno" type music with wayyyyy too much bass. When I walked to Office of Nature one day ( the other side of Riu), they were joking because they too could hear the bass where they were located. I know people at GLN were also complaining , so I am hoping that they tone it down, because I do not know how people on their beach could even talk to one another with how loud they had the music turned up.
    Bummer,
    We absolutely enjoyed our two previous trips to CN and have no doubt we will enjoy our December trip. I guess we'll bring an iPod and ear buds this year.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, Booked CN Dec 2014 2015,

What the heck is a GLN?

That would be Grand Lido Negril

GLN is Grand Lido Negril. That hotel is located on the left side of the beach of Couples Negril. It was recently sold. Not sure of the new name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    What the heck is a GLN?
    LOL. They're referring to Grand Lido Negril, which isn't even a resort anymore. They mean Breezes, next door to the south.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

It was Grand Lido Negril then it was Breezes Grand Negril and now it has new owners and is once again Grand Lido Negril but without the same inclusions as before.

Amy

The new owners are renaming it back to Grand Lido Nigril