Default Fake Tan (self tanners)?

Can anyone recommend a good self tanner product that doesn't wash off in the pools/hot tubs? We always pre-tan before our trip but I recently had to have an AK removed from my forehead and am worried about skin cancer. I plan on using sunscreen but I don't want to arrive ghostly white! I did the spray on tan once but it wore off and I went home whiter than when I arrived!
    Thanks

Sueboo,

I'm pale white, do not tan, and always use lots of sunscreen as I burn. So before I went to CSS last year, I got an airbrush tan and then used Jergens Natural Glow Express body moisturizer each time I showered. That kept me looking golden through the vacation and beyond. I was so very pleased with the effect so I plan on doing the same when we go to CSA this year.

Karen

I have used a lot of self tanners over the years, but the biggest problem for me is that they have this metalic smell, that I smell 24/7, and it makes me sick. I have tried expensive ones and cheap ones and they are all the same. The next problem is that your skin has to be completely smooth or the tanner gets into all the little cracks of your skin if it is dry. I found it was fine when I was younger, but now that I am middle aged, my skin is so dry and the self tanner looks terrible. I know this is not a positive review, but once its on, you have to wait days for it to wear off. That is my experience, and maybe I am just sensitive to the smell. You could try using it a couple of weeks before you go to see it you like it. I find it wears off slowly, and I just use it before I go, and then stop while I am away.

I like the Mystic Spray on that you do in a salon. It's not cheap (anywhere from $20-$30 per session) but if you do it right -- exfoliate well beforehand and go in with clean dry skin, it lasts for a good week, and doesn't wear off too badly.

Any product that sprays on your skin will come off somewhat in the pool, since the chlorine acts as an exfoliant and bleach, but this seems to last better than the at home stuff.

For the at home stuff, I like the Neutrogena spray the best.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

I like Jergens Natural Glow. L'Oreal was good also, but it had a shimmer and shimmer doesn't work on my skin. Nutrogena gets good recommendations also, but the scent of face stuff bothered me. One thing to note, what ever one you chose is make sure you exfoliate before using the self tanner.
    Vicky

Seven nyne from sephora is awesome
    Erika & Sean

Does the self tanner have any sun screen like properties? Or is it just so you don't look pale white...

Bath and Body Works has 2 great self tanners. I've used them both and have great results.
    Glow and Steady you can use evey day in place of regular lotion and after a week you get about a shdae darker.
    Strike Gold you use once and you get about 3 shade darker in a few hours, it's nice because it has a bronzer build in...you can see where you putting it. It makes it less likely that you'll miss a spot! Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone! I did try the Mystic Tan salon spray a few years ago but it didn't last as long as I hoped. I agree about the metalic smell of most bottled products.
    EinWi: where do I find sephora products? I'm from Wisconsin too!

I am will be arriving at CSA in three weeks, and have always wanted to try the spray on tan. Does it look natural? Does it have that metalic smell that the cream self tanners have? I have always wanted to try a spray on tan, but I am very fair, and I don't want to look silly if it does not look natural. I don't really care so much about coming back with a tan, I just basically don't want to look so white in my summer dresses while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanandJill View Post
    Bath and Body Works has 2 great self tanners. I've used them both and have great results.
    Glow and Steady you can use evey day in place of regular lotion and after a week you get about a shdae darker.
    Strike Gold you use once and you get about 3 shade darker in a few hours, it's nice because it has a bronzer build in...you can see where you putting it. It makes it less likely that you'll miss a spot! Hope that helps.
    I bought Bath and Body Works products and I think we have a winner! I tried the Strike Gold Saturday and it still looks good today (Thurs.) I also bought the Glow and Steady. B&BW had a buy 2 get one free sale. I will be bring both products to Jamaica in January!

Default Glad you liked them!

I'm so glad you liked the BBW products. I've always had a lot of luck with them! (and you lucked out with the sale!) I plan on stocking up before I go in April. I hope you had an amazing trip!

Go get a mystic tan, it if you want an at home one the absolute best one I have tried is Sevin Nyne...you can get it at Sephora.com. but I will caution you it has bronzer so I spray it on in the garage.....leave it on over night and then shower just like mystic. Works awesome.
    Erika & Sean