Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beach reads

Default Beach reads

Hi!
    I know there have been posts like this before, but it was a few months ago. Just curious about what people are reading these days, while by the pool or beach? We are going to CSS in April, and some ideas of good books would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Got the new Jennifer Weiner book Fly Away Home to read on the plane. Loved all her other books too!

Cindi Myers is a very good author she has new books coming out. It is good reading that you feel good when you are done.

Just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - on of my most favorite books to date. For the plane and poolside - I'm taking Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah. 12 days and counting...

I really enjoyed Stieg Larsson's novels: The GIrl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

on our last trip i brought a few of the "by the numbers" series by Janet Evanovich. They are fun, fast, and easy, so they are a good choice for the beach.

I've been reading "The Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. I had to force myself to stop after a couple chapters so I could save it for our trip. I hear it's a killer in terms of weight and size, though, so I wouldn't probably recommend it unless you have a Kindle or other e-reader.

Default read Roman, when in Rome

Michener's 'Caribbean'; it's historical and includes Jamaica in its stories of this great Sea and island nations.
    TonyS

Love Tess Gerritsen!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

I just picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and an autobiography of an 80's rock star for my trash reading on the beach! I too would love to hear what others are bringing.

MoBob-Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite authors,that book is good!

Pamela-are Larrson's books a series to be read in order?
    Tracyl-loved "Water for Elephants" too
    I am always looking for new author's because I'm a big reader and run out of books all the time.

Another good author I got from one of these threads is: Lisa Scottoline

Mo - I'll answer for Pamela on this one; yes... definitely read them in order. They make much more sense that way.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Brene Brown's The Gifts of Imperfection----Its a must read!!!
    MouLouHill

I will second the vote for anything by Evanovich!
    Very light reading and easy to pick up and put down.

My problem is I always buy one at the airport and finish it by the time we land.

Default Book exchange

I haven't decided what to bring yet, but is anyone interested in a book exchange? I usually get through 7 books in the two weeks we are there and find that leaving them makes room for me to bring things home.

I would recommend "Snowflower and the Secret Fan," "Tara Road," "The Help," and "The Undomestic Goddess." Anything by Sophie Kinsella, Barbara Delinsky, or Maeve Binchy, and I'm reading it!

Leeza14....Maeve Binchey has a new book out, Minding Frankie. I have it in my carryon for tomorrow.

I bought "Rose Hall's White Witch" by Mike Henry when we were there in july. Its great bc it is about Jamaica- historical fiction. Really enjoyed it!

Default Book reply

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett ,I bought it for our trip which is schedule for 12/26 to 1/2011 however I am so afraid I will finish it before our trip.

This book was actually recommended to me when we were at CSS last year.

So I guess the best way to read them is via a kindle? Does anyone use another device or just bringing the paperback version?
    Jon & Heather
    May '05, Feb '11 - CSS

Making arrangements for February 2012!

Default Kindle app on the iphone/itouch

FYI-
    For those that already have an iphone or itouch, there is a free kindle app that works exactly like the larger version. I'm not sure if other smart phones are able to use the app, but it's really nice to always have a book at my side.

Reading on the iphone is a little stange with the small screen because the formatting is different, but i've adjusted to it. The screen can either be white with black writing (normal), or black with white writing for reading in bed without a light.

Downloading books is quick and easy throught the application (takes you directly to amazon.com), and the benefit of saving luggage space is enought to sell me

There are several books in the library that are free (mostly classics) and most kindle editions are cheaper than regular books.

Into medicine? Anything Tess Gerritson or Patricia Cornwell.

Just got a new kindle and can't wait to load it 4 our trip "home"in july!!

To jephmom- What 80's rock star autobiography did you get? I'm just curious- I read Belinda Carlisle(The Go Go's) while I was at CN this summer. It was wild!

Quote Originally Posted by jhs View Post
    So I guess the best way to read them is via a kindle? Does anyone use another device or just bringing the paperback version?
    Kindle + water + sand = no more kindle, I am out $189.

Paperback + water + sand = I am out $7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast