Default Orientation Question

Hello All,

I'm hoping for some opinions from all of you out there. How important/necessary is it to attend the orientation that is offered. My new husband and I will be arriving at CSA on August 5 (first timers). Our flight gets into MBJ at 12:40, so I'm figuring we should be at the resort around 3:00-ish. I know the orientation is at 5:00, but I'd love to be able to spend some time on the beach that first day. Due to our schedules, we are only able to stay 5 nights, so we want to get in as much as we possibly can. We have never been anywhere in the Caribbean, so our mouths are watering for the beautiful CSA beach!!!

I'm wondering if we need to/should attend orientation, or if it is easy enough to figure things out on your own. I have been religiously reading the message board and taking notes. Thanks for all the helpful hints from you veterans out there!! It really does help!

One more quick thing . . . where do we make reservations for Feathers?

Thanks,
    Kirsti

11 days and counting!!

We highly recommend orientation,it doesnt take long and they show you everything on the resort,and it's also a great way to meet people and staff members.
    R.

Quote Originally Posted by KSherlock View Post
    Hello All,

I'm hoping for some opinions from all of you out there. How important/necessary is it to attend the orientation that is offered. My new husband and I will be arriving at CSA on August 5 (first timers). Our flight gets into MBJ at 12:40, so I'm figuring we should be at the resort around 3:00-ish. I know the orientation is at 5:00, but I'd love to be able to spend some time on the beach that first day. Due to our schedules, we are only able to stay 5 nights, so we want to get in as much as we possibly can. We have never been anywhere in the Caribbean, so our mouths are watering for the beautiful CSA beach!!!

I'm wondering if we need to/should attend orientation, or if it is easy enough to figure things out on your own. I have been religiously reading the message board and taking notes. Thanks for all the helpful hints from you veterans out there!! It really does help!

One more quick thing . . . where do we make reservations for Feathers?

Thanks,
    Kirsti

11 days and counting!!
    Hi Kirsti,
    I thought the orientation at CN was useful. There are a lot of amenities that they tell you about, how stuff works, how to arrange different activities, where to find the schedules for different things, etc. Whether you should go really depends on what you want out of the trip. However, if you seriously only want to hang out on the beach all week, then don't go. However, that's what we thought we wanted, and we didn't go to orientation until a couple of days into our trip, and we found out about stuff we missed. The good news is that they do the orientation 2x a day every day, so you could do it Monday morning. I think it lasts about an hour. Its worth it. Don't worry! Have a great time!
    Hannah

I would suggest doing the orientation the next morning at 10:00. It is really great to hit the beach as soon an you arrive on the resort. Then, plan on goting to the water sports hut to schedule all of your water sports activities right after the orientation. They do fill up fast and you only have 5 days. Schedule Featers at the guest relations desk in the lobby a day in advance of your dinner.

We've stayed at CTI once and CN 12 times, so we're pretty familiar with the Couples concept. Nevertheless, when we stayed at CSA in July 2007, I went on the orientation tour. I wasn't familiar with the CSA layout, and CSA is very spread out. I was very glad that I went on the tour and found it to be very helpful.

Orientation tours are offered daily at 10 am and 5 pm. If you want to spend the first afternoon on the beach, go ahead and do so. Take the orientation tour the next morning.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Though We have not been to a couples resort yet,(266 days to go!!!), we have been to other all inclusives, and we would highly recommend taking the orientation!
    -Otter,

I agree that the orientation is a great idea..especially for first timers. It will take a short amount of time out of your first day, but will save you oodles of time later since they point out where all of the restaurants and amenities are located.

Reservations for Feathers can be made over the phone, but I recommend making them in person in the lobby.

If you are going to CSA, then I highly suggest you take the tour. It doesn't take very long and lets you know all the 'ins' and 'outs' of the resort. Plus CSA is rather large and I found it a bit confusing to get around even with the orientation.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I'm curious....where did you hear about an orientation? I've never seen anything on it before and today I see two different posts. My husband and I will be going to negril in November for the first time and I never saw anything about this until now. From what the others say we will probably go as it does sound like it will be useful

If you plan on planting it on the beach and never moving, skip the orientation. But I'd really recommend going on one of the tours just to get the lay of the land.

Barring that, there is a LOT of information to be obtained here, and if you know which activities you want to participate in, you can kiss off the orientation. Using a good map of the facility, which you'll receive on check-in, offers you a chance to explore on your own, too.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I'd say that since you'll only be at the resort for 5 days than the orientation is more important to do. That way you know all the facts up front & don't have to waste time later trying to find out where things are or what you need to do - like making reservations, etc. The orientation is very helpful, you meet staff members right off plus other guests, & you can ask all the questions you have been wondering about. You probably won't have time for much beach action the first day anyway by the time you get to the resort & get to a room. We usually, get a drink & a snack & do the orientation if it's resort we haven't been to before. Then get cleaned up & ready for an early dinner since we are tired from our travel day. That way, we're refreshed & ready for our first full day in paradise. FYI - Mornings are THE BEST time to be out on the beach. The skies are clear blue & the water is calm & gorgeous with all shades of blues so don't miss that even if you're not a "morning person".
    Julie

Do you "need" to attend? No. Should you attend, only you can make that decision. But we highly recommend it for the reasons stated above. You can still get plenty of beach time, throw on your cover up and go to the orientation. It won't take long, but can provide valuable information.
    Vicky

First of all, slow down. Spend what time you can your first day on the beach and just wandering around finding the restaurants and bars. You can attend an orientation the next day or when ever you want. I would recommend it though, it is informative and even fun. You may even meet some interesting people. We met a couple our first trip to CSA at the orientation on our second day there. They were not even new to CSA, they had been there several times before. We have since become quite close friends, even though we live far from each other in the States. We have met up with them on our last two trips to CSA over the years.
    It's all good. You will love CSA and Jamaica. And the beach! I love the beach!

On your first trip we would do it. In the past we have skipped it at other resorts (Non Couples) and missed out on what had to offered. It is only 45 min or so and you can learn a lot. Do not forget to sign up Romance Rewards for you can do trading places.

If you don't go you may miss a lot of CSA as it's a very big property. It only takes around 30-45 minutes. You really should go.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Kirsti,
    We highly recommend the orientation. Kev and I go every time and always catch something we missed before or something new. It doesn't take long plus you get to meet other couples and it's a blast.

You can make dinner reservations for Feathers at the desk out in the main lobby after you check in.

Enjoy!
    Kevin & Angie

My advice is to go to it. CSA is spread out quite a bit from what I understand. It will let you know where everything is located. Hope you have a wonderful trip

Yes I would! It's a great way to get to know the ins and outs of the resort. They offer it twice a day at 10am and 5pm. It's not a boring sit-down lecture but instead a walking tour of the grounds and resort with one of the entertainment staff who will keep you laughing. It lasts about an hour and if you decide it's not for you, you can leave the tour. Plus you make stops for drinks at the bars!

You make dinner reservations at the concierge desk inthe lobby whenever you'd like once you arrive (or you can call from your room too).
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Hey Kristi,

My fiance' and I also arrive at CSA on the 5th and our plane lands at around the same time, what flight are you on?

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I really appreciate everyone's time and the information. It sounds like a unanimous YES!!

Cleversole - I found the itenirary of daily events on the couples site. I went to the Swept Away site, and on the left, there's a link that says "Activities." The orientation times are listed there.

Kim <3 Todd, we have a nonstop flight on Continental from Houston to MBJ. It's flight #CO864 - leaves Houston at 9:20 and arrives at 12:45. Looks like we might be riding the shuttle with you!! We can't wait!!!