Thread: Kindle

Default Kindle

Has anyone downloaded books to a Kindle @ CSA?
    GREANJAC

I upgraded to the new Kindle 3G and had no problem downloading books when we were at CN in September 2010.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

When we were there after Nicole the wifi was in horrible shape. At first we could only use it in the lobby, then one of the towers by our first room was fixed but unfortunately it was fixed on the day we switched rooms. The wifi next to our new room was not working so we had to go back to the lobby to use it. We couldn't get anything on the beach. Then the one in the lobby wasn't working and the one by our old room went down too. We could connect to the one in the lobby but it would take minutes to load one page. Most of the time it would just time out. They were working on it every day but things just kept getting worse. I kept letting people know that the one by our new room was not working but they kept insisting it was working. You could connect to it but it wouldn't even assign an ip so you couldn't do anything with it. This was in the middle of October. Hopefully it was fixed now. When we were there in April the wifi was awesome. You could use it anywhere and the speed was excellent. In those conditions you would certainly be able to download books or listen to steaming music.

Pamela, did you have any type of data charge for the download while you were in Jamaica? I got my husband one of the new 3g kindles for his birthday, mainly because he reads a lot on vacation.I didn't know if there was any advantage to him downloading all his reading material before we went or just buy as he needs while we're there. I'm pretty sure I read that I should put my phone on "airplane mode" to avoid any data charges so I didn't know if it was the same with the kindle. I will admit I"m not very tech savvy.

Hi greanjac,
    Yes, I was at CSA a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble with the wireless on my Kindle while at CSA.
    I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Terri

My wife uses her Kindle in Jamaica every time we go. It will connect and download books ... most of the time... but not all of the time! She downloads all the books she needs (and more!) before we leave home just in case. Just to be safe I would recommend that you download at home before you go.

Yup. I downloaded 4 of them to my Kindle last year. It also worked great at CTI. Love my kindle.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

I had no problem with my Kindle! It is so cool to be able to do that in Negril.

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    Pamela, did you have any type of data charge for the download while you were in Jamaica? . . . .
    When I turned on my Kindle in Negril, I found that I had received an "Important Reminder About International Delivery Fees"; it was the first document in my Kindle's index. An international fee of $4.99 is charged weekly for subscription services (e.g., if you subscribe to the NY Times or a something similar). For personal documents delivered to your Kindle via Whispernet 3G wireless while outside of the U.S., the fee is $.99 per megabyte.

However, there is no charge to use the 3G wireless while outside of the US to receive books or single periodical issues or to browse the Kindle store.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I can answer the data charge question: if you have a 2nd Generation Kindle with WhisperNet, you will NOT be charged for data. If you have a 1st generation kindle, you MAY be charged for data. If you have a 3rd G Kindle with WhisperNet, no charge. If you only have WiFi, you won't be charged unless the WiFi provider charges you. Clear as mud, huh?
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Thanks for all the help. Mshell, disable data roaming on an iphone when you are in Jamaica

Cheers Terri, Bring on the "Ice Water"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GREANJAC

Thanks all for answering my question. I"m glad to know he can browse books and buy while he's on the beach.

greanjac~ I plan on turning off roaming before we even get on the plan in phila. Don't need any unwanted surprised on our bill when we get home. I have a droid not an i phone but I"m sure verizon is the same as att as far as charges.I would leave it at home completely since we use a digicel phone while we're in Jamaica but I plan on using the wireless to check email etc.

Little over a month until we're on the beach at CSA. Can't wait!