Default A little disappointed so far...

I just booked a 10 day weddingmoon for March, 2010 for my fiance and myself and a few family members, none of us have ever been to any of the couples resorts, and I have to say, so far, if it weren't for this message board and everyone raving about how great this place is, I would go somewhere else.

I didn't book online, I called the Miami office to book through them because we are getting married with family at CN and then switching to CSA for our honeymoon. I didn't know if there was an easier way to do that,instead of doing 2 separate bookings I thought maybe they could do it as one, but that's the way they did it over the phone also.

Anyway, I told my cousin I would book his room for him and his girlfriend and put down the deposit for them. Apparently there is a huge process to do that, I had to make a copy of the front and back of my CC and drivers license, and write a letter saying I authorize my card to be run for my cousin's room, and fax it to them before they would let me book it.

My great aunt who is 86 years old, wants nothing more than to see me get married, but her husband passed away a while ago. I know this is my fault for picking a couples only resort but to get her to be allowed to come I had to write a letter to the manager requesting that my aunt be allowed to come as a single, and fax that also! I don't understand why there is not a form to fill out online or something, as not everyone has a fax machine in their home and it's a little inconvenient to get to one.

They approved her, which I am very grateful for, but she wanted to book the room's for my mom and dad, and sister and brother-in-law, which my mom tried to do for her, since she is 86 and lives in Wisconsin! (we are in san diego)They told my mom that my aunt has to do the same thing I had to do, which upsets me because it is very hard for her to get places and she does not understand fax machines. I understand that someone can help show her how to fax something, but it's the inconvenience of it all that's frustrating.

I'm not trying to complain and I am still very much excited about coming and experiencing what everyone keeps talking about, so I'm not really sure why I am even writing this, I guess maybe I feel I need a little reassurance, that even though so far every contact I have had with couples hasn't been smooth sailing (the people on the phone aren't very helpful) at all, that my fiance and family and I will still have the best time of our lives, and this kind of stuff won't be a problem once we are actually there.

Does anyone have any insight for me? Am I just stressing too much? Please help!

Well, I don't have a fax machine either, although I do have access to one at my office. Still, I find it far easier to scan forms and documents in to a .pdf file, and then e-mail the documents. Many folks have scanners in their homes, or have someone close to them (family, neighbors, etc.) that have one.

I really feel for the elderly in our society who have witnessed so much in their lifetimes, yet have been left behind technologically. Kudos to those who help their elderly family members with these issues, and HUGE ups to those seniors who have been able to keep up with these advances, and have the wherewithal and "whatsies" to own and operate the equipment.

BTW... where in Wisconsin is auntie from? We're also in Wisconsin!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I'd have reccomended using your friendly neighborhood travel agent. They have all of the exprerience in dealing with these things and probably could have made it all go MUCH smoother.

Keep in mind that Couples is only protecting themselves and you by requesting signed authorization to use your card to hold a family members room.

Couples is just that - a couples resort - they are making an exception to their policy to accomodate your aunt. She could ahve stayed at a hotel off the property and purchased a pass to attend the wedding.

I think Couples has been more then accomodating thus far, it's just not as convenient as you would have liked it to be.

No worries - you will get there and have the time of your life.

This is exactly why I think booking through a good travel agent especially for a destination wedding is the best way to go. That's why they earn their commission with no extra cost to you to take care of these things for you. You may also incur a foreign transaction fee on your credit card when booking directly with a resort in a foreign country that you would not when booking through a travel agent in your own country. No worries though. Once you are through the process everything will be smooth sailing and your wedding will be great. We did a vow renewal at CSS in 2007 and it was just wonderful.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Lacrum4, I know that it makes it very hard, but the reason they are requesting the front and back of your grandmother's card and of course a letter is so that there is no fraud. They really are trying to protect your grandmother. Truly not to be difficult.

Here is a solution for you, would it be possible for your mother to just take care of the charges and have your grandmother reimburse her the funds? The end result will be the same.

I tell you this though, we were married at CN in December 07 and had 5 other couples traveling with us. One of the couples were are in the late 70's so it was up to me to take care of their arrangements. On top of that he had just had knee replacement surgery so I had concerns about that. CN and Couples really were wonderful. They made sure that their room was on the ground floor in building 1 so they did not have far to walk. They made sure that we had reservations for the whole party on the cat cruise and for dinner the night of our wedding. In addtion we had put together gift beach bags for our guests that reception and our wedding coordinator made sure each got as they checked. It really could not have been more perfect.

I know that having to go through the hassle of the copies and etc can be disheartening please know that you really did pick the best place to get married.

I used a local TA that is Couples certified to book my wedding. It's been really easy. I'm so sorry you're having trouble.

Have you talked to the wedding coordinator Debbie? She's been wonderful getting back to me with my questions. And when I asked if we could have a single person come with us she said it was no problem just that he had to pay full price-nothing about faxing letters or anything.

Also, I booked my parents and future-in-laws reservations and flights when I met with the TA to book our travel. I paid the deposit on rooms for us and my parents on my card at the same time and didn't need to fax anything. The TA just called the my FMIL to get her credit card information for the deposits.

I hope it gets easier for you, just remember-you're getting married at one of the most beautiful places on earth-it will all be worth it.

all good suggestions -- having experienced debit card fraud, you definitely should be relieved that Couples is taking these precautions.

And yes, you are stressing too much!! A destination wedding is for NO STRESS..

Keep in mind that you are very early in the process -- so you may not get the responses as quickly as brides who are within a couple of months of their wedding.. Just something to keep in mind.

Relax and enjoy!

(p.s. Married at CN Dec 2009 - you will love it!!)

While I understand your frustration, I also tip my hat to you for undertaking such a task on your own. Organizing a wedding at home is a difficult chore. Doing it from thousands of miles away, in a foreign country, for family spread all over the place is a daunting challenge indeed. Keep in mind the logistics of all these people to be verified as having paid, by other parties, for a relatively expesive trip, on multiple credit cards and keeping them all coordinated as one party, must be difficult on the other end as well. You have stirred up a real doozy of a reservation account. It ain't like holding a table at Applebee's. It sounds like you are doing an admirable job of making the arrangements, although I agree with others that I would have used a TA.
    Hang in there. You will all be laughing about it over a cold drink on the beach before you know it.

Iacrum4
    I am paying for my daughters honey and I had to do the same thing. No worries though, you will love every minute of it, once you are there. Gramma will love it too.
    Congratulations by the way.

I don't have much insight on this topic, I just wanted to say, "hang in there!!" I'm sure it will be great!! Sometimes just venting and getting it out helps too!!
    -Otter,

Why didnt you use a travel agent? There are several that specialize in destination weddings with large groups. They can normally get better rates as well.

Good luck, in the end it will be all worth it!
    CSA Junkie! Next trip -- November 28th!

Thank you so much everyone for your positive responses! I will most definitely be using a travel agent next time! And I know they are doing everything for a reason and not specifically to stress me out, I just wanted to be reassured that it will get better, and possibly just wanted to vent! But, lesson learned, and as you said dirtleg, i cant wait to be laughing about it on the beach very soon!

Chris- I just checked w/my mom and my aunt is actually in Grayslake, IL, so right on the Wisconsin border, but the majority of the rest of my family is from Wisconsin, my mom and dad were both born and raised there and moved out to San Diego in their 20's. I think they were in Janesville and Madison. What area are you in? I really like it there, I don't think I could handle the winters though!

Again, thanks for the help, it really has made me calm down and realize it's all going to work out and we will have a great time! Honestly, as long as I get to marry the man of my dreams, I don't care what happens!

Please be very grateful they are protecting your credit cards. There have been numerous threads on Trip Advisor where other people at other resorts were not so lucky.
    I agree it does seem like a big hassle but when you choose to undertake this sort of thing yourself, then you need to be prepared for the hassle as well.
    I have to say I agree with the others, a travel agent is the way to go. They have the tools at hand to make things go smoothly and you don't pay any more to have someone else to have the headache.

I agree, a Travel Agent would have booked all for you with just a few phone calls. Live and Learn. You will love your trip
    Margene

lacrum4 -

Glad to see you've settled in... congrats on your wedding and enjoy...

We're in NE Wisconsin, near Green Bay. We do get down to the Madison area (bro'-in-law lives nearby), but never really as south as Janesville, which is going through a very difficult time now with the collapse of the auto industry...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"