Hybrid View

Default Night Snorkeling at CSA?

I am a little bit interested in doing the night snorkeling, but when I mention it to anyone, they think I am crazy, because they think it is dangerous at night. Is this true? Who has done the night snorkeling, and is it scary? Is it cold at night?

BY FAR, the best thing we have ever done!!! We are doing it again when we go back in March!

We did night snorkeling at CSA in May 2010 and loved it! Definitely an experience! My (now) fiancee freaked out though, as she was a little scared of the dark and what lurks in the water... but we had no problems. I would recommend it at least once!

My husband and I did the night snorkeling at CSA in September. It was awesome. It cost $35 a person and I thought it was well worth it.

It's a lot different than the day snorkeling. We only had 6 people in our group and we left just before sunset. It was kind of romantic riding out to the snorkel site as dusk came. Everyone was given a large flashlight and we had two guides. The water was crystal clear so we could easily see all the way to the bottom. You lose all the different colors you see snorkeling in the daytime so it's harder to tell what's what. But our dive guide would spot all kinds of things, dive down and bring them back up for us to hold or touch. He showed us several basket starfish, which only come out at night. We also saw a lobster and we saw some squid eating fish. Our guide brought up a puffer fish, all puffed up. It was so funny looking.

I did get a bit cold on the night snorkel (I get cold easily). Bring a warm shirt to put on when you get back in the boat.

To me the only scary part of the snorkel was the boat ride back to the resort in the dark, but the boat captain drove very slowly and carefully.

Do the night snorkel - it's a very neat experience.

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    I am a little bit interested in doing the night snorkeling, but when I mention it to anyone, they think I am crazy, because they think it is dangerous at night. Is this true? Who has done the night snorkeling, and is it scary? Is it cold at night?
    Night snorkeling is no more dangerous than day snorkeling (in my humble opinion) I personally love night dives because of the diversity of life underwater is much like on land at night. It's totally different. That said, CSA does not have anything to see off the shore of the resort but sand. I dont know of any night snorkeling excursions that are offered either. Sorry

We went and I thought it was a waste of money. It was very hard to see anything and people don't watch where they are going and crash into the reef or push you into it. It's not too terribly cold but it isn't very exciting or all that fun. Regular snorkeling and diving is so much better.

We did the night snorkeling a few years ago at CSA. We are avid snorkelers, so we had to try it. We left right at sunset as a full moon was rising - it was beautiful. They gave us a large flashlight to use and we went out to the usual snorkel sites that we had gone to during the day. The guide stays with you at all times. I didn't feel in danger at any time. The water was still toasty warm, although you might want to bring a coverup for the ride back to shore (about 10 minutes) as it's chilly in the night air when you're wet. We saw lobsters and fish that you just don't see during the day. It is a bit hard to see in the dark (the flashlight only illuminates so much), but I thought it was a fun experience.

We did night snorkeling at CSA several years ago and it was amazing. You have giant lights that you take with you and a member of the watersports staff goes out with you as a guide. The marine life you see at night is completely different then what you see during the day.

There is absolutely nothing that I could imagine being dangerous and never gave it a second thought. The water is always warm, but there is a bit of a nip when you first get out.

I wouldn't pass it up for anything - we had every intention on going this past September, but the Tropical Storm cut short our opportunities for water activities.

We did the night snorkeling at CTI in July and loved it! We got to see a lot of awesome things, including 2 lobsters duking it out. We would definitely do it again (We go to CSS in July 2011). Yes, tho, did feel like it was riskier- pitch black dark. The 2 wonderful guides that took us were always close and it turned out great. Go! You will not regret it.

Can't wait to return home!!

Default Night Snorkel.......

My husband and I did the night/eve snorkel and he loved it ~ I hated it. He thought it was absolutely incredible and can't wait to do it again. I was freaked out from the second I got in the water till I got back on the boat. Make no mistake, it IS dark by the time you go in the water. Since it is dark, you're each given little flashlights to carry and told to stay in the group and follow the dive leader to see all the neat stuff. That's fine, unless you're already terrified, then trying to stay close to a group of other people, getting knocked with fins and flashlights in your face, just makes it even worse. I lasted as long as I could then left the group and swam back to the boat. So, really, it's completely and individual thing as to whether or not you'll like it. I'm still glad I tried it ~ but yeah, way too dark for me. Again, my husband loved it though, so who knows!

Thank you for all the info. I am going to make it a priority now. Its comforting to hear that you go out at sunse,and that its not scary. I will remember to bring a warm hoodie for when I get out. Does anyone remember how long you are out there?

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    Thank you for all the info. I am going to make it a priority now. Its comforting to hear that you go out at sunse,and that its not scary. I will remember to bring a warm hoodie for when I get out. Does anyone remember how long you are out there?
    You don't snorkel at sunset, you gather and leave at that time. By the time you get in the water it is totally dark. If there is no moon it is REALLY dark. The scary part is crashing into a reef, or being pushed like I was. You go in the glass bottom boat so everything can (and will) get wet. We were out for a little over an hour. Most of the people wanted to go back to the boat before we were supposed to be done.

Did the night snorkel at CN and loved it. Not scary at all. Seen a little bigger fish and different variety than during the daytime trips i did.

We have done the night dive out of CN and it was easily one of our best dives ever. Since you only go down about 25ft on a night dive, I have to think that the snorkeling is over the same/similar reefs. The thing you have to take into consideration is that a lot of the sea life you are missing during the day, because they are either hiding or sleeping, come out at night. You will see a lot of lobsters, eels and small rays actually out swimming and moving around. You may also see some large turtles, and, as someone mentioned above, the pufferfish, which is really cool when all blown up with a light shining thru it. It is also cool to see the other daytime fish sleeping. They sort of bob up and down off the ocean floor. This is an experience you will never forget and is definitely a "highlight" activity.

Gray Turtles - you are only in the water for 30 minutes or so. The ride out is about 10 minutes, as is the ride back. It also takes about 10 minutes to explain the procedure and get everyone in the water. So it is around one hour total.

We have done the night snorkeling the past two years we have gone to CSA. Absolutely love it and it's not scary at all. Like everyone said, you get your own light and the last times we have gone, one guide in front, one in back or if there were just 6 of us we all hung out together. Never had any issues with stuff getting wet on the boat. We bring towels and cover ups for after the snorkel (there is a ledge on the boat to put your belongings, just look up!).

Hope you'll try it. We are going back again next month and will most likely do it this year too. Fun times!

Angie
    Kevin & Angie

Quote Originally Posted by angienkevin View Post
    We have done the night snorkeling the past two years we have gone to CSA. Absolutely love it and it's not scary at all. Like everyone said, you get your own light and the last times we have gone, one guide in front, one in back or if there were just 6 of us we all hung out together. Never had any issues with stuff getting wet on the boat. We bring towels and cover ups for after the snorkel (there is a ledge on the boat to put your belongings, just look up!).

Hope you'll try it. We are going back again next month and will most likely do it this year too. Fun times!

Angie
    I'm not sure if they got the regular boat back yet or not. The one they were using in Oct did not have a ledge or any type of storage. It also didn't have a nice ladder and steps like the old one. There was a small ladder that they would hang over the side when they needed it. No railing or anything. Hopefully they already have it back but everyone we talked to seemed to think it was going to be a pretty lengthy repair since so many boats were damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I'm not sure if they got the regular boat back yet or not. The one they were using in Oct did not have a ledge or any type of storage. It also didn't have a nice ladder and steps like the old one. There was a small ladder that they would hang over the side when they needed it. No railing or anything. Hopefully they already have it back but everyone we talked to seemed to think it was going to be a pretty lengthy repair since so many boats were damaged.
    Oh WOW thanks for the update, I had no clue. We'll plan accordingly for sure.

Angie
    Kevin & Angie