Thread: Remembrance day

Default Remembrance day

Remembrance Day is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries to remember the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War. This day, or alternative dates, are also recognised as special days for war remembrances in many non-Commonwealth countries.

Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918, as the major hostilities of World War I were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. (Note that "at the 11th hour", refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 am.)

I know my American Neighbors to the south celebrate Veterans day / Armistice Day at the end of the Korean War (1954).

As an ex-member of the Canadian Forces, I invite all those to a minute of silence at 11:11 am.

Thank you for your time and remembrance! Never forget!
    Jon & Heather
    May '05, Feb '11 - CSS

Making arrangements for February 2012!

Thank you Jon and Heather for such a nice reminder of the price that many have paid for our freedom.

Thanks for the posting Jon, as someone working on a Canadian military base we remember daily.
    (Karen&Paul)

Thanks for posting. I agree, our service men and women can never get enough thanks whether in Canada or here in the US. THANK YOU ALL SERVICE MEN/WOMEN, and a THANK YOU to your families as well.
    Linda

This will be probably be posted after Veteren's - Rememberence Day, but from a mother whose son served in the Army, both in Iraq and Afghanistan I want to say thank you to all that have served and are still serving our great countries. May God bless you all and keep you safe.

Lived in Canada(PEI) for the past 8 yrs,,now back in US but it certainly made me proud to wear the POPPY on Rememberance Day,,,,Thanks to all who served and only 5 more weeks til CSA.....

Great post! I too would like to shout out a big THANK YOU! to all of our service men & women past and present for the sacrifices they have made for our freedom. May God bless them and keep them safe.

I missed this yesterday, but thank you for posting it. One of my sons is an active duty Marine and I was thinking of him and all who serve yesterday.