Default NO Scuba at C.N. - the sea's too rough.

Hi
    We both love doing scuba every single day when at C.N. However on some days the sea is rough (waves and large swell). Understandably on these days all diving gets cancelled due to the potential dangers. (I've seen someone fall over on a dive boat whilst fully kitted up - nasty)
    I would appreciate your opinion / experience.
    1)Is there a best time of the winter to come over, to avoid rough seas?.
    2) Have you found the watersports cancelled for days on end?
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Ian and Vanda

We were at CN at the end of February this year. I expected calm water from everything posted on the MB; however, we had large waves all week. We didn't really mind it but I couldn't use my floatie in the water as I get motion sickness. My SO expected to dive several days that week but out of 9 days, he was only able to go diving once. Again, we didn't mind as there were many other things to do or nothing at all - our choice!

I think that it is really going to depend on what weather systems are out there. You could nothing but calm seas for months on end and the bam a storm comes up and so do the waves. We were at CN one year in December for 10 days and the first 8 the water was very calm, my brother-in-law dove twice a day but by the end of the week a storm had cropped up and there were waves in the bay and the water was very choppy.

This is a rare problem in Negril where the waters and winds are far more calm (usually) than the norm on the North Coast. It is far less rare to have wind or waves disrupt your diving (or any other water activities) at CN or CSA than at any of the north coast resorts.

Anytime is good. It all depends on what the weather is brewing out in the ocean. We were there is September (Hurricane Season) and had good weather all week. Just pick your time, you'll never know what the weather is goign to be like until you are there.

We just got back last night from 6 days at CSA. We were only able to dive the last 2 days, due to the rough seas following Tomas. But that was understandable considering the circumstances. We've been to CN, CSA and another popular All-inclusive resort that includes diving in Negril and I do think they are sometimes a little too quick to cancel diving due to the conditions. And it was that way at all 3 of them. But you have to consider that a lot of the times there are unexperienced divers onboard, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I've dove several times on charters with experienced groups in 8 to 10 foot seas and had a blast, but diving in those conditions isn't for everybody.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are wanting to go somewhere where you will have a superb vacation and maybe get in a few dives as well, then there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be than CSA. But if your main purpose for the trip is diving, then there are a lot better options than Jamaica. Not that the diving is bad in Jamaica, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian and Vanda View Post
    2) Have you found the watersports cancelled for days on end?
    On one September trip for us watersports was closed 4 days in a row. However a tropical storm had just passed and remnants continues to bring in bad weather.
    Somewhat paradoxically, they did open scuba for one of those days.

Taking your trip outside of hurricane season will better your odds of, though not guarantee, having better weather.

Default Crikey !!!

CRIKEY - Only being able to dive once in 9 days would be miserable. Thanks for all your replys.
    Ian and Vanda

When we were at CSA in Jan. 2008 the water was nice and calm every single day for 2 weeks. We could've dove every day if we wanted, but of course there are other things to do.... like get married

In Feb. 2009 we went to Turks & Caicos with 2 other couples. When we got there the weather was good, but we only dove one day out of the first 3 or 4 days as we wanted to relax, had a car booked, etc. Then the weather turned and we had such high winds that all water sports were cancelled for 3 or 4 days. We would have rather had rain, as it doesn't ruin your ability to do watersports (unless it's really heavy/a storm of course). Unfortunately that island (Provo) was pretty boring other than water sports, unlike Jamaica which is much larger and has much more to do. Our friends left at the end of the week on the day the weather turned nice again. We were there for 10 days so we got a few more dives in, but it was still pretty rough, even for a large dive catamaran.

So I guess my moral to my story is, bad weather can crop up any time, anywhere, so if you're very keen to dive, snorkel, or any other water sports, do it when the weather is good for it. If it's nice when you get there, do it then, just in case!