Default Delta ATLANTA LAYOVER

Our upcoming trip will be the first time it isn't a non-stop. We have to stop in Atlanta (Delta) both ways. On the way back, the layover is about 2 hours, 30 minutes. It sounds like enough time to get through customs; is it? Thanks for any responses. Sun_princess

Plenty. We have made the connection in less than one hour but we had to haul butt from one place to the other....

Just went through Atlanta on Delta in October and had about the same amount of time...it will be plenty. You'll likely have enough time to grab a quick bite to eat and a restroom break.

Sun_princess,
    Noticed that we are both from Redford, MI. We are also flying out in 6 days to CSA and have a layover in ATL!! What are your travel dates and where are you headed? Perhaps with all these coincidences, we'll be on the same plane, location, etc.

We just returned from CSS with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Atlanta. No problem. You will get through customs with plenty of time to eat dinner too. We were able to eat at the Chili's restaurant. Here is a warning to you and anyone else that reads this board and has a connection in Atlanta. If you buy alcohol at the airport in Montego Bay you will have to put it into your luggage in Atlanta. The reason is because you will go through security again where the 3 oz. liquid rule is enforced. No, you have not left a secure area but they still make you go through security again. This means that if you bought any alcohol or other liquids in the Montego Bay airport you will need to pack them into your suitcase before you put it back onto the conveyor belt for your connection. We did not buy any alcohol at the airport but one couple did and they were so irrate they were yelling at the security guy because they were not warned about the second security screening. I don't think the extra security screening coming out of customs was there a year ago when we did the same layover from Jamaica but whatever, it is there now.
    Have a fantastic trip!!

I was told that we would go through customs in Chicago. To me it didn't make since because I figured there would be people not going international on the chicago to Atlanta flight.. but that's what they said.. What do you guys say?

Hey gang, speaking of lay overs, I just booked for april at CN and when I did and paid my deposit, the agent told me she couldn't print my paperwork at the time because her computer was locked up, BUT she would mail me my flights and confromation long story short, when I got my flight schedule I have a 3 hour lay-over in ATL going and a 6, yes 6 hour lay over on the way back. Now my TA tells me if I switch I'll lose my deposit. And no I declined the insurance. So I guess I'll have plenty of time to catch my flight.I'll never use a TA again!!

2.5 hrs is plenty of time, Atlanta is always behind especially later in the day.

amill11 you will clear Customs at the first US Airport you land at. If you connect through ATL to ORD you will go through US Customs at ATL.

We have been to Jamaica twice and always have gone through Atlanta. We always went through customs in Atlanta on our way back, and then had to go through security again. We never had a problem. Hopefully we won't this year since we have just under 2 hours, and my husband has breathing problems, so walking fast is not an option.
    Linda

The rule about the liquids (alcohol or otherwise) applies not only to the Atlanta airport but any airport. If you purchase any liquid in the secure area of the Jamaica airport you've already checked your luggage so you get on with what you've purchased. But the first airport you land in you clear customs/immigration and there you have to put anything you purchased in your checked bags. If you have drinking water or pop or etc you have to throw it away, nothing unsealed so to speak can enter the US. I point this out because though they made this announcement numerous times the genious in front of me going through security tried to get water through in one of those pricey metal water bottles...she said "It's only water". They had a lengthy discussion as carry-ons were backing up and people were getting testy and she finally went back through to the backside of the check point to dump it out to avoid them trashing her bottle. It was chaos. I suspect someone has a story about an exception and something getting through but to avoid delays and scenes be smart and throw away your pop or water or whatever. If it was ever in Jamaica it can't come back to the US in your carry-on.

Default Layover time

It is enough time IF your flight is not delayed, if there is an arrival gate available for your plane (last time through Atlanta they did not have an international arrival gate available for the daily plane from MBJ) and if it doesn't take too long to get through security once you exit Customs and Immigration. And don't forget that Atlanta does get snow and ice storms in the winter and is ill-equipped to deal with them. Count yourselves lucky if you have time to kill between flights.

Long layovers and congestion are the norm for Atlanta, (one of the busiest airports in the US). We've always went with US Air connecting in Charlotte. Never had a problem. Bypass Atlanta if at all possible.
    Ken & Gina

Sign up for the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and you can avoid standing in line at U.S. Immigration when you land in Atlanta. The entire sign-up process can be completed in less than a week; when you land in the U.S., you simply proceed to a kiosk, scan your passport, have your fingerprints scanned, answer the questions on the computer screen (so no form to fill out upon your return), hand in the form at U.S. Customs, and you're done.

If you're traveling with a group and you're the only one who is a member of the program, your entire group gets front of the line privileges. We joined the program this year and got through Immigration and Customs in September in less than five minutes.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Many thanks for all of your responses. There are definitely more positive than negative. I will think good thoughts. 74 days and counting! Sun_princess

@rmevans1108 You guys have a great trip to CSS. My husband and I are leaving in 74 more days (or Feb. 15) for COUPLES Tower Isle for our 9th trip. Sorry we will miss seeing some home town folks!

This is my first time to Jamaica. I'm worried cause I think they only gave us an hour or hour and half between flights in Atlanta on the way home. Are we going to have enough time?

In other airports we have made it in an hour. No time to eat or do anything else but always made our flight.

Given Atlanta's reputation for problems I'd say you will not only have time but may end up with extra time...your connection could well be delayed. Either way I'm gonna say you'll make it in an hour and a half. Just don't plan to eat, shop, even make a bathroom stop just in case and if you end up with extra time due to a delayed connection consider it a bonus.

Went through Atlanta last week. We had 2 hrs 30 min of layover. We were able to get through customs/immigration without having to hurry and still had time to sit down for a meal at one of the restaurants before having to board the next flight. 2 hrs is about the perfect layover coming back into the US. Atlanta airport was actually rather smooth, much better than coming into Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by weluvjamaica View Post
    Here is a warning to you and anyone else that reads this board and has a connection in Atlanta. If you buy alcohol at the airport in Montego Bay you will have to put it into your luggage in Atlanta. The reason is because you will go through security again where the 3 oz. liquid rule is enforced. No, you have not left a secure area but they still make you go through security again. This means that if you bought any alcohol or other liquids in the Montego Bay airport you will need to pack them into your suitcase before you put it back onto the conveyor belt for your connection. We did not buy any alcohol at the airport but one couple did and they were so irrate they were yelling at the security guy because they were not warned about the second security screening. I don't think the extra security screening coming out of customs was there a year ago when we did the same layover from Jamaica but whatever, it is there now.
    Have a fantastic trip!!

It is that way at every US airport.