Default First timers in Jamaica and at CSA

Hi everyone! My husband and I just booked a trip to CSA the first week in Jan 2011 and are very excited but have some questions!
    1)Is there internet access (I take college courses and need to participate online while there)?
    2) What is there to do outside of the resort? We have been to Mexico many times and my husband likes to go "out on the town" at night and people watch, shop, go out to eat, etc.-sounds like there may not be much to do outside of the resort from what I've read.
    3) How much would a taxi cost to go to MoBay? Or should we hire a driver? Or is there any shuttle service?
    4) What are some good excursions to do?
    5) Anything special we should know?
    Thanks for any tips or insight! Looking forward to our trip! We've never stayed at a Couples resort before but have stayed at Dreams and liked them.

jvieu,

We were at CSA earlier this year and will attempt to answer as many of your questions as we can:

Quote Originally Posted by jvieu View Post
    Hi everyone! My husband and I just booked a trip to CSA the first week in Jan 2011 and are very excited but have some questions!
    1)Is there internet access (I take college courses and need to participate online while there)?
    There is a internet/computer room where you'll be able to access the internet. Hope you don't have to spend too much time doing coursework!
    2) What is there to do outside of the resort? We have been to Mexico many times and my husband likes to go "out on the town" at night and people watch, shop, go out to eat, etc.-sounds like there may not be much to do outside of the resort from what I've read.
    There is an excursion to Margaritaville and some people go to Rick's Cafe. Haven't tried going "out on the town" but then there's lots to do right on the resort each day and evening.
    3) How much would a taxi cost to go to MoBay? Or should we hire a driver? Or is there any shuttle service?
    MoBay is a little over an hour away. Not sure of the cost by taxi but the resort will help you in setting up transportation.
    4) What are some good excursions to do?
    Horseback riding in the ocean, zip lining, YS Falls and Appleton Estate tour are some of the more popular we've done/heard of.
    5) Anything special we should know?
    Be prepare to be pampered and enjoy everything Jamaica has to offer...especially the people. Come prepared to relax and enjoy!
    Thanks for any tips or insight! Looking forward to our trip! We've never stayed at a Couples resort before but have stayed at Dreams and liked them.
    Hope you have a great visit to CSA...we can't wait to go back in 141 days!!!

Bart & Bug

Thank you so much for answering all my questions! Can't wait to go!

Default Negril JA

While most of your questions were answered very well, here is a little more additional information for you.

The trip from Negril to Mobay and back averages $150.00 per couple. You usually need to hire a driver for this trip. We are staying at the Couples Negril in Bloody Bay also during the 1st week in January with another couple so maybe we can hook up and share the ride as the girls love to shop there and are very familiar with the area (This is our 7th year going). We know a wonderful driver who is registered by the JA taxi commission (VERY Important), and he has a very comfortable mini-bus. We have been using him for over 5 years now. If nothing else email me and I can forward you his contact information.

Take the trip to Margaretville but do not sit there the whole day. The beach itself is a WONDERFUL place to walk along with a lot of stores and vendors alongside it not to mention interesting bars and restaurants. There are also some great craft areas set up by the city of Negril on the beach area for local people to set up shops for their local crafts and such. I have bought some of my best gifts from these stores.

Ricks is a tourist bar. Expect that and you will not be shocked. If you are going to go there do so on a Tuesday or Thursday (Their slow days) and get there about 2 hours before sunset. This will insure you a seat for the sunset (Actually very impressive from there).

Negril itself is a nicer town than most in JA. The local council understands that tourism money is their lifeblood and has been working very hard to improve itself. It is cleaner than most towns and very safe; there is even a Burger King in town! There are many nice shops there as well as a large Duty free mall which has EVERYTHING, so besides shopping in Mobay you can plan on a nice afternoon shopping in Negril with no problem at all.

I hope this helps, and I hope to see you there next year! (Well the first week anyway )

What great questions. My husband and I are planning to visit June 2011. This is my first time visiting this site because we had been looking at Sandals Negril this entire time and I just read some not so good reviews on Trip Advisor so I decided to see what other options were available in Negril. We are also wanting to relax but I enjoy entertainment and nightlife as well. He loves the beach, I love food, dance, music, etc...
    M Przytarski with all of your experience there, what/where would you recommend. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and I want it to be the absolute best experience for us both. We have been married over 5 years and this is our first time being out alone withou the 4 kids and probably the last for another 5 - 10 years. A friend so kindly offered to keep our children for us because we have no family.

Default First timers in Jamaica and at CSA

Thank you so much for answering all the questions.

My husband and I really appreciate it.We are going from 12.26 to 1.2 and there doesn't appear to be much messages for that time frame.

Thank you for your insight.

Bernadette

You've received some excellent answers. Both my husband and I took laptops (which we need for our work) so we wanted a room where we would have Wi-Fi.We booked the Garden Verandah Suites, and were very happy with it. As you can see in my review (linked below) there was room on the desk for both laptops, and we were also able to access the Wi-Fi from our patio.

The only "outside" activity we did was to spend a day at Couples Negril. A bus took us in the morning and delivered us back to CSA later in the day.

Our photos and review are here:

http://www.funbeaches.com/couples-swept-away.html

Once you get there you will be amazed at how much there is to see and do at the resort. As the previous poster stated, you can walk the beach for miles and stop at little bars and shops and really get the local flavor. You may think of doing one excursion and then take advantage of the FREE inclusions at the resort--snorkeling, glass bottom boats, water skiing, kayaking, hobie cats, tennis lessons, catamaran cruise, and all the different activities that change every day. Don't over schedule yourself because the beauty of the beach is gonna floor you and you'll just want to soak it all in.

CSA is fabulous and you will have a wonderful time. Make sure to check out the Martini Bar above the Palms and take a night time stroll across the property. It's so romantic and beautifully lit at night. Enjoy! I am so jealous.

There is now WIFI in ALL rooms at CSA!!!! You get a password from the front desk and you're good to go!!

If you're interested in Margaritaville, I wouldn't necessarily take the bus (unless you're going at night)....The Negril branch is just a 5 minute walk down the beach from CSA!

Be sure to do the FREE walk down 7 Mile Beach - it's great, and you'll be able to see all of the AI and non-AI resorts along the beach (and realize that CSA is probably one of the very nicest)....

Also do the Cat Cruise to see all of the coastline up to the Cliffs - very pretty!

You've gotten a lot of good tips, but the best one is to NOT OVERSCHEDULE, but allow the magic of CSA to give you your direction.

Enjoy!!!