Default So many choices!!! How do you decide on a resort?

My fiance and I know for sure we want to go to Jamaica for our honeymoon next fall and want to go to one of the Couples Resort. The problem is... We can't decide on one! I would really like to book soon but everytime I go to do that I have second thoughts that we haven't looked at the others enough.

Our first pick is CN. It seems to have a lot of activities but also looks like the rooms are very nice. But I also like some of the other inclusions at the other resorts. Our biggest deciding factors are a nice beach, a room that is on the beachside, evening activities, and not a "hotel" feel. haha which is all of them!

I guess if any of you seasoned CR users have any suggestions as to how to pick a resort or a resort you personally like that would be great!

If CN is your first choice, I would say go with your gut. It's calling to you for a reason. As far as the inclusions are concerned (and I'm assuming you mean Dunn's River/Horseback riding at CTI) they aren't that big of a deal.

The only caveat to that is you want a "beachside" room, and the only resort that offers TRUE beachside rooms is CSA. Fabulous views and right on the beach from your room. (Although, I think the views are best from the rooms at CTI.) IMHO, CSA also has the least "hotel-like" feel of all the resorts. That being said, the rooms at CN are lovely, and if you get a Beachfront suite or room, you will have a nice, sideways view of the beach.

Enjoy your trip no matter WHERE you go!!

V
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

CN or CSA, the rooms at CN sit at an angle to the beach, we love bldg 6 or 9, that end of the beach is quieter.

If beach is important to you, you can't beat the Negril beach. CN is on Bloody Bay, which is about 1.25 miles in length, shaped like a wide "U." There are 4 other properties on Bloody Bay. CSA, which is around the corner, is on 7-mile beach, which is a long strip of great sand.

CN is a more compact property -- you are never more than a 2-minute walk from anything. I wouldn't describe it as a "hotel" feel. None of the rooms directly front the ocean b/c of the way the buildings are laid out. Oceanfront rooms are feet from the beach.

In terms of rooms, they are almost exactly as they appear on the website. All regular rooms are the same and all suites look the same -- only difference is location. The bathrooms in the regular rooms are "standard" (combo shower and tub), sink, etc. For us, not having to make a lot of room choices was a big plus in our decision to go to CN, as was the fact it is a smaller property with a large beach for its size.

That said, I know there are VERY devoted CSA fans out there, who will give you all of the benefits of that property.

V is right.......go with your gut. It really does not matter which one you choose. You will love all of them. After you get back, you will want to return to check out the others. My biggest advice is to start a savings account now...not for this trip but for the next one. It kills you when you come back and don't already have a gameplan in place for how and when you will go back to Couples. The only safe bet to avoid the worry and depression that comes with the flight back home is to have that plan in place before you go down there the first time.
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

I agreee! Go with your first instinct and when you return to Couples, and you will, try a different resort the next time. Just a suggestion...this is what we are doing. CN called to me the most so we went there in Feb. 2010. CSA was calling me too(heehee), so we've planned a Feb. 2011 trip to CSA. So relax, no matter what resort you choose, I'm very sure you won't be disappointed.

sarah22,
    We're going with those who say "go with you gut." If you've looked at Couples and are drawn towards CN then go with it! While none of the rooms are beachside it does have a beautiful beach. Based on what you said you were looking for we would recommend either CN or CSA. We've been to all 4 Couples properties and those in Negril have the best beaches with the most gorgeous sunsets. CSA is the only resort with rooms that are "beachside" (Beachfront Suites and Beachfront Verandah Suites). On the Ocho Rios side CSS has the better beaches with CTI being more hotel-like of them all. No matter which resort you choose you'll find the evening activities to be great. All this being said...follow your gut and go with CN. Hope this helps and you enjoy your honeymoon in Jamaica.

Bart & Bug

Quote Originally Posted by sarah22 View Post
    My fiance and I know for sure we want to go to Jamaica for our honeymoon next fall and want to go to one of the Couples Resort. The problem is... We can't decide on one! I would really like to book soon but everytime I go to do that I have second thoughts that we haven't looked at the others enough.

Our first pick is CN. It seems to have a lot of activities but also looks like the rooms are very nice. But I also like some of the other inclusions at the other resorts. Our biggest deciding factors are a nice beach, a room that is on the beachside, evening activities, and not a "hotel" feel. haha which is all of them!

I guess if any of you seasoned CR users have any suggestions as to how to pick a resort or a resort you personally like that would be great!
    First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We honeymooned at CTI last year and just got back from CN last week. If a nice beach is your biggest deciding factor, then CN or CSA may be the better pick. While the beach at CTI is good and more private, Negril wins hands down here, IMO. Even though it is a public beach, we never felt like we were in a crowd.

There are more inclusions with CTI, mainly horseback riding and the Dunns River Falls trip, and we did both last year. They were both fun, but they do take up a good chunk of each day. This year we opted for total relaxation at CN.

As for being beachside, we had an ocean "view" rooom at CN (Bldg 8) but we were less than 100 yds from the beach. Attached are two views from our balcony.

No matter which Couples resort you choose, you will absolutely love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

Hi Sarah!

We are having the very same dilemma. We would like to get married (just the two of us) at one of the Couples resorts in Jan/Feb 2012. So far CTI has been our fist pick however I hesitate to book as this is going to be such an important event as well as a holiday...

We are considering going there in Jan/Feb of this coming year and would stay at CTI. I am hoping we would be able to visit CSA and CN so that we can see exactly where we will get married.

Based on my research so far and your requirements it sounds like you have picked the right resort for your Honeymoon. Lucky us to have such 'dilemmas'!

Best wishes!
    Does anyone know if we would be allowed to go to the other resorts for a quick look?

LiiziD, CN & CSA are on the other side of the island. It is a couple of hour drive to get to them. The only resort you would be able to check out is CSS. It is the one that called to us, and we have not been able to get ourselves to visit the other side of the island. The long beaches are not the most important thing to us, so CSS was perfect. Be sure to sign up for Romance Rewards, then you can check out CSS without a cost. Congrats on the upcoming wedding.
    Linda

JJust got back Sunday from CTI and went to CN last in 2008 both were great but if you want beach go to CN or CSA.

There are programs for Romance Rewards members to visit other properties. However, people generally do that b/t CSA and CN (in Negril) and CTI and CSS (in Ocho Rios). It's a LONG drive between Ocho Rios and Negril, so doing a day visit between those locations really isn't possible.

When you read about the resorts on these boards, on TripAdvisor, and/or on other review sites, you should start to get a good idea of what each resort offers. As others have said, one of the resorts will likely "speak to you" for one reason or another. For almost everyone, that turns out to be the right choice.

Thanks everyone!! Much appreciated! )

Quote Originally Posted by sarah22 View Post

Sarah,
    You just described CSA....beachside room, CSA. No hotel feel, CSA.
    Erika & Sean