Default $300 Hold at Check-in

This will be our first time to a Couples Resort so I want to make sure we know what to expect.

I understand that they take an imprint of your credit card when you check-in, to cover any incidental charges you might accrue, but I thought I also read that they require $300 in cash as well. Is this correct? If so, why would they need both? I don't want to take a certain amount of cash only to find out that $300 of it will be gone at check-in.

I have read the FAQ at it seems that is what they are saying as well. Someone that has been there before please let us know. We will be arriving on the Dec 15 so this is kind of urgent.

Thanks.

its one or the other. We used our credit card...I never take more than 50-100 in cash with me to jamaica anyway. I know for a fact even after the Bob Marley shots that I never put down any cash to check in

Every time we've been, they have placed a hold on our CC for $300 - no cash was required. I would think the only time cash would come into play is if someone goes without a credit card and would prefer to deal with cash only.

Have a wonderful trip!
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

There is no "cash" deposit. It's only your CC imprint.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

You only need your credit card. It is to insure that if you have charged anything to your room that it is covered. When you check out, you can either leave it on your credit card, or pay for it another way. We usually just charge it to our card.
    Linda

When we were at CTI in January they did take an imprint of our card for the $300.00 hold, but we did not need to give them cash also. They do not need both.
    When we left the resort we did settle up our bill with cash for anything we had charged to our room and the $300.00 hold was dropped from our card.

The comment in the FAQ says an imprint of your card and a hold of $300USD. That means they put a hold of $300 on your credit card until you leave. That amount has never been added to our card on departure unless we've charged something to the room. Even then, the only money actually charged to your card is what you authorize. At the end of your stay they'll ask you if you want to keep the charges you've incurred on the credit card you used at check in. You may decide to pay cash at the end of your stay. If you didn't buy anything and didn't charge anything to your room then you won't have to pay for anything. Don't worry, you won't get charged for anything you didn't authorize.

You only need the $300 on the cerdit card. No cash is needed to check in.

They will only put a hold on your CC. The $300 cash is if you don't use a CC. It is either/or, not both.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I have been to CTI twice and they never asked for cash up front. They only asked for the credit card.

Hope that helps and have fun on your trip. You're gonna love it!!

Default Credit Card

Hi - we just got back from CSA on November 19th (BOO!) and yes they do take a credit card imprint as the stores are "cashless". I broke my sunglasses and bought a pair on the store and my husband bought a shirt and some cigars so those charges were applied when we checked out and the $300 was not charged.

We got about $100 in Jamaican currency and used that for a few items we bought on the beach from the vendors, t-shirts for our kids, some coffee, that sort of thing. You don't need a lot of cash that's for sure!

Hope this helps!

Michelle

At Couples Negril, they take an imprint of your card only. No extra cash. Everything on the resort you purchase at the gift store etc. is charged to your room and when you leave you can either pay for everything on your credit card, or pay in cash.

They only do the credit card imprint. The $300.00 in cash is for those without credit card. No worries!!

Default 300

No cash up front just a credit card. Same as any hotel would do

Thanks to everyone that responded. I figured it was one or the other but I never like to assume anything. This is why I love this board. Great people always willing to give helpful and useful advice. Couples, here we come!!! =)

Question about $300 hold. We don't have a full $300 available on our credit card. We never really put more than $100 when we check out. Will they run a full $300 at check in? Meaning, will my credit card decline if I dont have $300 funds available? We have cash to spend on things while we are there, but dont have room on the cc to run the full $300. Can anyone advise?

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by trhops View Post
    Question about $300 hold. We don't have a full $300 available on our credit card. We never really put more than $100 when we check out. Will they run a full $300 at check in? Meaning, will my credit card decline if I dont have $300 funds available? We have cash to spend on things while we are there, but dont have room on the cc to run the full $300. Can anyone advise?
    We had a card snafu last year. Although we called to let our bank know we were traveling internationally, our card was declined at check-in. Rather than deal with the bank, we just checked in and went about out business - it's not like they were going to try to send us back back home.

The only problem was we couldn't charge anything to our room. Since the resort is cashless, once we had spent all of our credits, anything else had to be paid in cash through the front desk. In our case it was a spa service which they gave us a receipt for, and we simply took it back to the spa and were good to go.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Hey Tammy,

They always ask for a card but never actually run it.I'm sure if you tell the front desk your situation as a precaution, it won't be a problem.First time we went to CTI we had not brought a credit card with us, and we asked if they wanted to hold cash, which we did bring, and they said no, not to worry about it.So I'm sure you'll be fine.Have a great trip and enjoy!

Thanks for the response Bruce/Kelli and Just Diane!!! 1 more day!!!!!!!

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

What would you charge to your room that they would need a deposit for?

Couples is a cash free resort so anything you purchase gets charged to your room. You can upgrade alcohol choices, phone calls, many people use the spa, scuba, night snorkle, the list could go on and on. They don't actually charge your credit card so don't worry. If you don't charge anything to your room then you have nothing to settle upon check out. If you have made any purchases then you'll take care of it when you check out. If you have made purchases one thing you can do is early check out, the night before you leave you can go to the front desk and look over the list to make sure everything is in order and take care of the bill. We stopped by just to be sure there wasn't anything on our room charge so we didn't have to deal with any problems on checking out in the morning, as expected there were no charges to our room.