Thread: CN First Time

Default CN First Time

Hi

We'll be staying at CN from Friday 10th till Thursday 16th (short stay I know ) after 4 days in Miami.
    Really looking forward , haven't been on vacation in 3 years because of the lovely kids...

Couple of Q's :

Lobster night on friday, do I need to send CN a mail to reserve a table?

Scuba diving , is the free class a recommendation ? I presume you first get used to equipment in the pool before heading out ?
    How long are the scuba trips , I'll be on my own, darling wife will be having massage instead.

"Dress code" for the nicer restaurants, what kind of men's shoes ?
    Are nice jeans tolerated ?

Can't wait to arrive at CN , especially after reading all the reviews on this board !

Oliver
    Belgium

You cannot make restaurant reservations before arriving at the resort. Lobster night isn't a big deal. Lobster is simply one of many entree options at all of the restaurants that night.

KathyK recently reported speaking with Karen Lanigan, the GM at CN, and being told that men can now wear sandals to all of the restaurants, including Otaheite--as long as they're not flip-flops that would be more appropriate for the beach. Jeans are tolerated at the Cassava Terrace, Lychee, and Heliconia but are inappropriate for Otaheite.

From the FAQs:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants: Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverjw View Post
    Hi

We'll be staying at CN from Friday 10th till Thursday 16th (short stay I know ) after 4 days in Miami.
    Really looking forward , haven't been on vacation in 3 years because of the lovely kids...

Couple of Q's :

Lobster night on friday, do I need to send CN a mail to reserve a table?

Scuba diving , is the free class a recommendation ? I presume you first get used to equipment in the pool before heading out ?
    How long are the scuba trips , I'll be on my own, darling wife will be having massage instead.

"Dress code" for the nicer restaurants, what kind of men's shoes ?
    Are nice jeans tolerated ?

Can't wait to arrive at CN , especially after reading all the reviews on this board !

Oliver
    Belgium
    Hi Oliver;

No, you do not have to reserve anything for Lobster Night. All of the restaurants will be serving lobster, just prepared differently. You can't make any reservations until you arrive anyway.
    I cannot answer the scuba question, never dived.
    As far as jeans go, I have never seen denim at any Couples resort. It is just too hot for it! Most men will wear khakis, linen or dress pants.
    Enjoy your stay, I am sure it will be the first of many.

You can only make reservations for the restaurants once you arrive. All of the restaurants serve lobster on Friday night, so you can look at the menu by the Cassava Restaurant to see which meal looks best to you. You would only need to make reservations at Otaheite.

There is a free beginning SCUBA class available to anyone who does not have their dive certificate. You will go through class in the morning, learning the equipment in the pool and then go for a dive in the early afternoon. You will be gone for the dive for about 1.5 hours. If you have your diving certificate, you can go diving twice a day for free. You will need to bring your certificate with you. With both of these options you will need to fill out a medical release questionnaire. If you answer yes to any of the questions you will need to get a Drs note stating that you are fit enough to dive. You can find the dive questionnaire here: http://couples.com/10FAQ.htm#Is_Scuba_diving_included_

Look under the 'diving' section for the questionnaire.

The shoes just need to be closed-toed shoes. Sandals with closed-toes will work. The lighter weight and more breathable the better. It is hot!

Jeans are not acceptable. You will need to have some nice slacks or dockers. Plus it is way too hot for jeans. Here is a list of the dress code:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.

You might want to check out the FAQ page. It can answer lots of your questions: http://couples.com/10FAQ.htm

You will have a fabulous time at CN. It is one of our favorite resorts.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Lobster is available at all restaurants. You only need reservations for Otaheite and, last I checked, you must make them in person once you arrive. No reservations for any of the other restaurants.

Only dress code is for Otaheite. Slacks and collared shirt with closed toed shoes (and now sandals ok, I hear) for guys. I don't think jeans are permitted in Otaheite -- don't see them. A pair of khakis is fine and much cooler than jeans. For other restaurants, jeans and shorts are permitted, although some folks do dress up.

Don't know about Scuba.

Lobster is served at all the restaurants on Friday
    Yes, a class in the pool , then 30-35 minutes under after you anchor at the site...very cool
    Do not bring Jeans, not tolerated for the gourmet restaurant also TOO HOT AND HUMID, buy some light linen pants, and an hawaiian shirt, that is perfect for any of the restaurants
    Closed toe shoes, I wear a pair of boat shoes (loafers)
    for the Lady, a nice top and capris ( my wife told me to say that) or a sundress, or let her realy dress up and you can be proud

Hi Oliver; you are going to have a great time at Couples. Reservations are not required unless you are eating at Otaheite that night. The only restaurant the does not allow jeans or open toe shoes (for men) is Otaheite. The class is recommended, then they take you for a 30 foot dive. The class is approx 45 mins. Another note to consider; if you take any type of prescription meds, make sure that you get a doctor's note from your doc stating that diving would be alright. My husband takes meds for heartburn and because he didn't have a note, they would not let him dive. Now we know for when we are there in February. Enjoy your vacation.

Absolutely do the dive. I'm pretty biased, bc I'm a diver, but for most, its one of the best experiences ever. You start in the pool by the dive shop learning about the equipment, hand signals, buoyancy control, etc. After the morning divers get back in, you head out for a shallow dive at about 10:30a, and get back in just before noon. We did 8 dives 2 weeks ago and the guys in the shop are the best divemasters we've had in the Caribbean. Sugar was teaching the intro class when we were there and he is very safety conscious. The guys run a tight ship, which is always a great quality in a dive shop.

Thanks for the replies , we are leaving home shortly for our flight from Brussels to Heathrow, won't be packing any jeans , just some nice linnen pants.
    Staying in Miami till friday, before arriving at CN.
    I'll be sure to take the scuba class, sounds great !