Default Sunscreen----How much and what to take???

Here I go again, stressing over what sunscreen to take! I always do this every trip...trying to plan just the right balance of what we need. Can anyone tell me if it is readily available at the shop at CN in case I don't have what I need?

So far this is what I bought:
    1 tube of 60 (hypoallergenic for face and delicate areas for AN)
    1 bottle 45 lotion (hypoallergenic for me, my skin is sensitive
    1 bottle of 30 lotion in a Hawaiian Tropic (DH likes this one)
    1 spray bottle of 30 (hypoallergenic for me)

I think I should return the spray bottle of 15 that I bought, from what i hear, the sun is too hot for that.

I will have to go to Jamaica with some self tanner on, my white skin. I can't use the tanning beds, it always makes me break out in heat bumps...I rarely get brown, except my arms...and I usually get heat bumps that look like mosquito bites within a few days of harsh sun. I can't seem to figure out what to take and DH is no help! Can anyone give any advice on what is needed?? Thanks!

DH will be almost black within a few days.

How long will you be there for?

I think the last time we were there (June), we had about 7 or 8 bottles total of sunscreen - with varying SPF's (from 15 to 50). We were there for a week. I know that seems excessive, but I'd rather have too much than not enough. I am not sure what is available at CN (I think it changes) but they will have something available - you will just have to pay higher prices than you would find back home.

I take a higher SPF, good quality (like Neutrogena) for my face. The rest of what we take is whatever I find at a deal - from Kroger brand, to Equate (Wal Mart), to Hawaiian Tropic, to Banana Boat.

We also take not just lotion, but a couple of the spray types as well - they are good for quick reapplications when you've been out in the sand and sun for a while. DON'T use these in the room, as they will make your floor as slick as an ice skating rink.

Hope this is helpful!
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

We only use the aerosol (much less messy) and take a can per day. Half 15, half 30. You probably won't need so much using a lotion, though. Regardless, you want to avoid buying it in the gift shop. This year at CTI it was $16 - $20 a can/bottle.

As far as a specific breakdown, that varies a lot person to person. If you're that sensitive to the sun, I'd probably take nothing less than 30.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

I think it really depends on what your skin type is, and how easily you are affected by the sun. Although we have not been to CN as of yet, both CSA and CSS had plenty of options for sunscreen at the gift shops, so if you run out at any time, it is available. You can never have too much though…

My wife and I have been to Jamaica twice now, and both times we have taken a couple of tubes of SPF 30, along with a can of spray SPF 30. I use the spray for my head, as I keep my hair very short, so it penetrates through to my scalp so I don’t get burnt.

For us, we both liberally applied sunscreen in our room before heading out, and then re-applied as needed. I found that when we were at CSA in June, we needed to re-apply more often, as the sun seemed stronger then our recent visit to CSS last month. I found that this past trip, I didn’t need to re-apply at all. We did try and moderate our sun exposure by finding spots in the shade on SSB. We moved in and out of the sun pretty much all day long though, so that may have helped with that as well.

I can't help as I'm like your hubby and tan VERY easily. I usually take a bottle of 15 & 8 and by the 4th day am not using anything except on my lips. Hubby is pretty much the same. I will agree with everyone that the sun is intense and if your skin isn't used to it you will burn and that makes for a very miserable vacation. Every time we go I see at least a couple of people who are red as a lobster and very uncomfortable.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We just got back from our 3 trip to CSA. I get the same itchy bumps from the sun. If I'm not careful I will have them all over; arms, back, legs, stomach, etc. My wife tans a little better than I do, but we took one tube of 30 spf, and 2 tubes of 50. We went through much of it, and got no bumps. Even with 30 and 50, we both ended up with a pretty decent tan. Dont forget BUGSPRAY!

You guys are awesome...good tips....I'll remember not to spray in the room as I don't need to wipe out on a slippery floor filled with oily sunscreen!! What a great idea using the spray for DH head! He has very short hair and always gets some kind of a burn there but I'll just spray some of the 30 we have on his head!

We will be there for 8 nights 9 days...I think i should get another 30....I have a Neutrogena 50 for face....and I like the Loreal Ombrelle for the rest of me as it has no perfumes/dyes etc....so I guess the rule is that it's better to have too much! I hope we get lots of sun and i get to use it all!!

Quote Originally Posted by lhenry View Post
    Here I go again, stressing over what sunscreen to take! I always do this every trip...trying to plan just the right balance of what we need. Can anyone tell me if it is readily available at the shop at CN in case I don't have what I need?

So far this is what I bought:
    1 tube of 60 (hypoallergenic for face and delicate areas for AN)
    1 bottle 45 lotion (hypoallergenic for me, my skin is sensitive
    1 bottle of 30 lotion in a Hawaiian Tropic (DH likes this one)
    1 spray bottle of 30 (hypoallergenic for me)

I think I should return the spray bottle of 15 that I bought, from what i hear, the sun is too hot for that.

I will have to go to Jamaica with some self tanner on, my white skin. I can't use the tanning beds, it always makes me break out in heat bumps...I rarely get brown, except my arms...and I usually get heat bumps that look like mosquito bites within a few days of harsh sun. I can't seem to figure out what to take and DH is no help! Can anyone give any advice on what is needed?? Thanks!

DH will be almost black within a few days.
    I typically use 30 the first few days and then 15. I have moderately light skin, blond hair, blue eyes. I wear a different 30 on my face. Sometimes I tan a tiny bit (maybe 2-4 times) prior to leaving and sometimes I don't at all. I use 30 when I am going to be in the water for a while and I don't ever burn.

Quote Originally Posted by lhenry View Post
    You guys are awesome...good tips....I'll remember not to spray in the room as I don't need to wipe out on a slippery floor filled with oily sunscreen!! What a great idea using the spray for DH head! He has very short hair and always gets some kind of a burn there but I'll just spray some of the 30 we have on his head!

We will be there for 8 nights 9 days...I think i should get another 30....I have a Neutrogena 50 for face....and I like the Loreal Ombrelle for the rest of me as it has no perfumes/dyes etc....so I guess the rule is that it's better to have too much! I hope we get lots of sun and i get to use it all!!
    Don't forget your ears too! Those top of the ear burns can be nasty. My ears don't burn at home but they do there if they are left unprotected.

Heliotherapy by California tan, we have been using their SPF15 and SPF8 for ten years in the Caribbean and it has been fantastic never a burn and only one sometimes two applications in a day. They have a great SPF30 for those who burn easily or very sensitive to the sun. We bring 6 tubes with us 3 of the 15 and 3 of the 8s.

We buy our lotion at CN b/c we want to take only carry-on bags.

I tan easily and start with 15 everywhere but my face (go for a 70 there at all times so I don't get wrinkles) for at least the first 2 days. Then I start using 8 places where I don't typically burn (arms, legs) and keep with the 15 in places that I burn more easily (back, chest). I also wear a hat.

My husband, who burns easily, starts with 30 for at least the first few days and then moves to 15. He also goes inside during the noon hours.

We buy our lotion at CN b/c we want to take only carry-on bags.

I tan easily and start with 15 everywhere but my face (go for a 70 there at all times so I don't get wrinkles) for at least the first 2 days. Then I start using 8 places where I don't typically burn (arms, legs) and keep with the 15 in places that I burn more easily (back, chest). I also wear a hat.

My husband, who burns easily, starts with 30 for at least the first few days and then moves to 15. He also goes inside during the noon hours.

Hubby and I have been at CSA for 9 days and we haven't even used a whole bottle yet and we cover pretty well except he missed one morning big oops. We brought 3 bottles of lotion and 2 bug sprays (used a whole bottle of bug spray). Definitely enough for us.

Angie
    Kevin & Angie

Well, we were at CN for 6 days and we went thru 3 cans: 1 each of 4, 8 and 15 SPF. The 15 we bought at the resort, a generic for the same price as a name brand at home. Yes, we are from Florida and we both got a base tan before traveling, but that was because we knew that we were going to get a lot of exposure on parts not exactly used to that. That should figure into your equation along with all of the others mentioned above. It's definitely a better deal to bring more than you need from home rather than buying it in the gift shop.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

Just returned from CSA on Dec 4. I tan easily and used no sunblock on my body and Neutrogena 100 on my face. My hubby, who doesn't tan as well, used 70 on his face and 35 on body. He did get quite red on several days.

Default 3 tubes

We that 3 tubues of subblock ,3 ozs each and 1 real small one for the beach . That's more than enough for us pale skinned people SFT 45 and 30