Hybrid View

Default First timers - Can't decide between CSA & CN, please give ur input

Soon to be wife and I have decided on Couples in Negril, but we are struggling w/ which resort to choose. I know some have said, look @ pics, menus, etc., but we have and are still struggling w/ the decision. We are late twenties and are going in early Dec. for our honeymoon.

We are planning on snorkeling quite a bit and enjoying the water activities. We don't really care about the AN option, so that isn't really coming into play.

Here are my questions in addition to your other comments on the differences between the resorts. Is CN more AN exhibitionists and an older crowd or are both similar ages/rowdiness? I got no prob w/ the AN, just not really our thing. Like I said, we want a great sunset, lots of nice calm beautiful water to snorkel, sail, etc. in and a chill atmosphere, w/ potential to party it up later in the day. I'm sure that's what everyone is after though...

I really appreciate any guidance you can provide. Stay IRE!!

Csa!!!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

My husband and I (both 30) just went to CN for our honeymoon at the end of June/early July. We chose CN because of how compact the resort is and the colorful, island vibe. We had a great time, and while we plan to visit CSA in the future, we're looking to go back to CN next year.

The AN area at CN is not particularly noticeable unless you're over there yourself. It didn't look crowded at all when we walked by, and there were definitely more people on the main beach. Really, unless you're over there or have a room looking down on it, you mostly forget it's there.

Our shuttle to Negril of 6 couples was evenly split between who was going to CSA and who was going to CN. We went right at the end of June, so I have a feeling there were more early twenty-somethings there celebrating their new marriages than there might be at other times of the year (just guessing since June is one of the big wedding months). What everyone here tells you is true: there really is a wide mix of ages at Couples. I saw a couple that couldn't have been much older than 22 and another that looked to be in their eighties, with a huge mix of ages in between. We were always up for breakfast at 7:30, and 80% of the time, we were the youngest people in the Cassava Terrace at that hour.

Gotta say CSA on this one. Especially for the sunset which at CSA always sinks right into the ocean no land obstructions like CN in December when the sun sets behind part of the land that creates Bloody Bay. The first picture is the sunset at CN in Dec and the second is CSA in Aug. More dinning options and more entertainment options at CSA to. For a honeymoon I'd go with a Atrium, Beachfront or beachfront verandah room if it's in the budget otherwise to save money if needed go with a garden verandah. Congrats and have a great honeymoon!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

From what we saw, CN tends to be more of a social butterfly resort. There was a big crowd in the main pool all day. CSA does not have that big crowd in 1 place because it is much more spread out. We have been to CSA twice and did the day trip to CN. I would totally stay there if CSA was not right down the street. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but we just like the beach and more relaxed atmosphere of CSA.

When are you going in Dec?

Well, CSA is booked Dec. 4-11 (when we were originally planning), so probably Dec. 11-18. So, is an Atrium room everyone's choice for a reasonably priced, central, private location? Not too far from fun, but still semi-private/quiet? I am considering the Atrium or Garden Verandah (similar prices). Looks like the Verandah has a TV & mini-bar, which would be nice for the occasional in room drink and watch the news. Am I correct, that the Atrium rooms don't have a mini-bar? Are they worth it, just because of their location?

Thanks everyone for all the help, we can't wait!! Maybe we'll see a few of you there...

Quote Originally Posted by MNwaterlvr View Post
    Well, CSA is booked Dec. 4-11 (when we were originally planning), so probably Dec. 11-18. So, is an Atrium room everyone's choice for a reasonably priced, central, private location? Not too far from fun, but still semi-private/quiet? I am considering the Atrium or Garden Verandah (similar prices). Looks like the Verandah has a TV & mini-bar, which would be nice for the occasional in room drink and watch the news. Am I correct, that the Atrium rooms don't have a mini-bar? Are they worth it, just because of their location?

Thanks everyone for all the help, we can't wait!! Maybe we'll see a few of you there...
    The biggest difference between the Atrium and garden verandah rooms are the room it's self and the location. For a honeymoon go for the Atrium they are the most charming unique rooms at CSA. They do not have a TV or mini bar but there seems to be a bar at CSA about every 10 feet so no mimi bar really isn't a concern. Atriums also have a hammpck on the balcony and garden verandah rooms do not. Atriums are in the middle of the resort garden verandahs on the road. I'd look at all the room pictures they are accurate to see the differences.
    Shari & James

Which is better for snorkeling? Is there enough to see just off the beach or do you need to go on the scheduled trips to the reef? Is night snorkeling available at CSA? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by MNwaterlvr View Post
    Which is better for snorkeling? Is there enough to see just off the beach or do you need to go on the scheduled trips to the reef? Is night snorkeling available at CSA? Thanks again.
    No good snorkeling off the beach at CSA or CN. Both have pretty bare sandy bottoms. You must go out on the boat trip to snorkel and both go to the same places so snorkeling is the same at both.
    Shari & James

Atriums are perfect for a honeymoon - only 4 rooms to a block (as against 12 to a block for the"verandah" rooms)an enormous verandah with a hammock and they are scattered amongst the lush vegatation of the original section of CSA. No TV or mini bar but we have never missed them.

While the addition of the mini-bar and TV is attractive to some, I would not call it a deal breaker by any means. The Atrium rooms are absolutely beautiful. Some what secluded in the lush tropical grounds they have the large verendah with the hammocks. Only 4 rooms to a building makes for a bit more privacy also. There is enough to do outside your room (and inside, it is a honeymoon afterall!) and there are bars near enough that the mini-bar and TV will not be missed, in my opinion.
    But pick the room you can afford and that seems to fit your needs and wants. You will not be disappointed in CSA regardless of what room you choose.

Enjoy your trip! You will love CSA and Jamaica.

I have not stayed in an atrium yet, but when the time comes again I would definitely choose it over a garden verandah. Atriums do not have a TV or minibar, but they do have a very large balcony with a hammock overlooking a beautiful area of the resort. They are also closer to the beach than the garden verandahs. No TVs in the room makes it much more romantic and keeps the conversation going. Having a minibar at Couples is nice, but honestly is not a necessity. There are bars all over the place where you can grab a quick drink and take back to the room with you if you like. You will love CSA!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Hi from NY. Here's my two cents worth on your questions. We're a mid 50s couple and as people have said, there's a great age spread at all of the Couples resorts. We've never been to CN and they for sure have their advocates but were at CSA for the first time last December. We stayed in an Ocean Verandah Suite which is identical to the Garden Verandah Suite. The Atrium room was our second choice but they don't have glass in their windows, only wooden slats and screens. My wife would have complained the whole time if the a/c didn't keep up with the heat. But in December that won't be a problem. I'm also a TV addict and couldn't see myself not having one for a whole week, hence the Verandah choice. We had only taken bottles of water and I think made one mixed drink from the mini-bar all week. Also if your "evening honeymoon activities" will be loud with no glass in the windows it could be heard more easily. This could be a consideration if you kids get embarrassed easily...lol.
    The sunsets were usually not that clear due to clouds moving in as the sun was setting. The snorkeling was awesome! I'll attach a picture of one of the better sunsets, a picture of the Aura Lounge singing along with Ultimate Chocolate and a picture of the sunken cannon. GO TO CSA AND HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!

I loved the atrium room at CSA, I just wish I could move the room over to CN, because I love the atmosphere and size of CN better. The water is calmer at CN, but both resorts offer snorkeling trips, twice a day (included in price). You may want to also try the resort dive if you enjoy snorkeling.

We have never stayed in the Atriums but they looked great.We stayed in the garden suites on our honeymoon and like everyone says, we didn't miss the tv or minibar.gvs are great though and we have booked those twice.You will love CSA!