Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water at CN

Default Water at CN

I have always been extremely cautious whenever we are in the caribbean about the tap water. My hubby and I have even avoided salads because of fear of it being washed in the water. We have used bottled water to brush our teeth with and when we forgot and used the tap, we would rinse our toothbrush out with Listerine.

This past Jan. we went to the DR and stayed at a 5 star, avoided tap water but still got cramps and the runs.

Last trip to Jamaica in 2005....we were not sick but only stayed for 5 days. Before that we were married in Jamaica in 2001 at the Grand Lido Braco when it was 5 star Premium. That was our 1st trip anywhere south. We did avoid tap water but ate salad etc. and got sick with cramps...spent a lot of time in the bathroom on our honeymoon.

I don't want this to happen at CN....but i never hear anyone complain about getting sick or stomach problems. Is it somehow cleaner or the water more purified at CN??? I just want to enjoy our trip to the max and I LOVE salads and hate to give them up while on vacation. I'm just afraid of the gas and cramps and trips to the bathroom. Can you repeaters give me some advice please...

Thks!!

Never gotten sick at CN. And, I don't avoid anything.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We are returning for our third trip in February, our first trip my wife who is a gymniac and healthy eater made alot of big salads for lunch and had some stomache issues, when I cinvinced her to lay off them she felt much better, our second trip she occasionally had a salad and had no stomache issues. We always drink bottled water even at home.

We vacationed in Mexico for about 20 years and did not consume salad and drank bottled water and never had an issue.

Sometimes its just a change in bacteria and it can effect your stomache, always keep your hands washed prior to eatng and finger foods and especially before you smoke if you are a smoker, most bacteria finds its way from your hands.

i've never heard of anyone having any issues w/the water at CN, or in Jamaica for that matter. we were at CN in October, my wife tends to get sick if anything is slightly off, and we didn't have any issues. used tap water for brushing our teeth, didn't worry about salads or ice in our drinks (and i had plenty of those), no worries.

Default Strong Stomach?

I have been sick twice on trips to Mexico but did not have a problem on either my trip to CTI or to CN. I am a salad freak and ate salad for lunch and dinner every day.

I do use bottled water for dental hygiene and I rationalize that no microbes can live in the alcoholic concentrations in my margaritas.

So based on a sample universe of two (wife and I) there is not a problem at Couples.

Hello, My husband and I have been to CN 4 times. We have never had a problem. My husband has a "tender" stomach. Even he didn't have a problem. We used the tap water for brushing out teeth. We did drink bottled water though.
    One Love,
    Mya

I have a very sensitive stomach and have always experienced the runs, like you, in Mexico and DR. However, in Jamaica at Couples, no problems mon! From what I understand, Jamaican water systems are safe like North American water systems as Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth. Earlier this year at CN (Immodium safely tucked away in my travel bag) I threw caution to the wind and ate an abundance of salad, veggies, fruit, and seafood (including mussels in the shell on ice from the buffet) and didn't have one inkling of stomach upset the entire week we were there. It was absolutely terrific!

The water in Jamaica is fabulous. I have a VERY sensitive stomach and we have stayed at Couples 7 times now. I drink the tap water like CRAZY and have never even had a TWITCH from the water. Now, I did eat some smoked fish spread that didn't agree with me once, but DH was OK, so it was obviously me.

So seriously, Go. Drink the water. You'll be fine!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Default No Problem Ever

Unlike some other countries we have visited we have been to CN and all over Jamaica. We find the water better there than we do at home. We have never had any stomach issues other than over eating if that is a problem The water is very safe as it is a very cherished by the Jamaicans. We will be back to CN in 8 days and counting.

The water in Jamaica is safe. I can't speak for why you had a problem previously, but we have been to CN twice and there are no concerns at all with the water at CN. ENJOY!

The water in Jamaica is totally safe for consumption. Bottled water is always supplied in the rooms, however I've used the tap water for brushing my teeth and the water they serve at the restaurants I assume is tap water and I've always drank it and have never been ill. Don't worry about the water....have a great vacation.

There's nothing wrong with the water in Jamaica it can be used from the taps. My husband and I have gastro issues and have never avoided the local water. Maybe you are just very sensitive. Why not use an over the counter product while your there, like pepto bismal or one of the other brands. Have a great time and stay well.

We've been to Jamaica 7 times (3 CN, 1 CTI, 1 CSS, 2 other resorts) and only this last time did I have issues and luckily they didn't hit until the day after we got home. When we return I will be more cautious and take a Pepto tablet just before each meal to be sure that nothing happens. You might want to try this remedy. I know several medical personnel who highly recommend it.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We had the same issue as coloradojuli. Have drank the tapwater in the past with no problems, but we just got back on 11/27, and had about a week's worth of bad stomach issues after we got back. We are divers, so it could have been the seawater, but we did drink tapwater the whole time. Either way, if I only had tapwater available, I would still go to CN every time. Absolute heaven!

I don't like the bottled Wata very much but the tap water is awesome i Jamaica! I wish I could take it home. I don't tend to drink a lot anyway but last time I was at CSA I was trying to conceive so I wasn't drinking at all. I pretty much only drank water the whole time I was there and it was great. I loved the water at meals and would always ask for a glass of ice water instead of bottled when I went to the bar because it tastes so much better to me. I think the water comes from the springs from the mountains but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I have never been sick at all. I actually feel so much better when I am there. I don't think they use preservatives or high fructose corn syrup either so that helps.

We've been 4 times to CN and I've never had a problem with the water (and I have IBS) I've heard that the water is all filtered. We brush our teeth with it, drink it and eat the salads. Never had a problem. Good Luck!

I've been doing some research via google on the water in Jamaica and came across this:

"Drinking Water
    Piped-in water is usually safe to drink because it is filtered and chlorinated. However, the chlorination could cause mild abdominal upsets, so if you're prone to stomach problems, it may be wise to drink bottled water, which is readily available."

I had planned to just drink bottled water then after reading your replies i thought i would just use tap water then i came across this. I am slightly aprehensive about drinking the tap water just because my system is so sensitive...and i have IBS which could be a problem. If i choose the bottled, is it readily available at CN? I drink a lot of water, usually 6 - 8 bottles/day.
    thanks for your replies!

April 2011 will be our 4th trip to CN. We have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, with potable water being a common problem. I have IBS-D and have never had any issues while drinking water at CN.

I have been going to Couples Negril for over 8 yrs and have never had any problem with the food or water. The water at the resorts are not like the water in Mexico. I got very ill in Mexico about three yrs ago from the ice in my drink. My husband has a very sensitive stomach and he has never had a problem with the food or water at CN. It is very safe, so enjoy your vacation and like they say in Jamaica...No problem man...Have a wonderful trip. When are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by lhenry View Post
    I've been doing some research via google on the water in Jamaica and came across this:

"Drinking Water
    Piped-in water is usually safe to drink because it is filtered and chlorinated. However, the chlorination could cause mild abdominal upsets, so if you're prone to stomach problems, it may be wise to drink bottled water, which is readily available."

I had planned to just drink bottled water then after reading your replies i thought i would just use tap water then i came across this. I am slightly aprehensive about drinking the tap water just because my system is so sensitive...and i have IBS which could be a problem. If i choose the bottled, is it readily available at CN? I drink a lot of water, usually 6 - 8 bottles/day.
    thanks for your replies!
    Water in the US is chlorinated (and flourinated), too. If you drink tap water at home, you shouldn't have any different experience in Jamaica.

Bottled water is so hard on the environment - please consider the impact of the many, many plastic bottles it produces, particularly in a small, island nation.

Never had any issues with the water, but after a few too many Boy Marleys I do seem to be a bit of kelter. Enjoy

Thanks again for the help...

We are going on Jan/15/2011. We are from Ontario Canada and we never drink tap water at home. It has such a terrible taste and odour...way too much chlorination and we just can't stand it....so our system is only used to bottled water. I wonder if we do drink tap water if it will affect us simply because we are not used to the chemicals in it...

IHenry ~ Yes, CN does have bottled water available at all of the bars. I'm not sure that it is available first thing in the morning, but you can request bottles in your mini-fridge and then you would have them for the morning.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Well, I spoke to DH about this thread and all the favourable comments about the water but he is refusing to drink any tap water and will only eat food that is cooked.....so much for enjoying any fruit or salads.....we have had such terrible experiences in the past, recently the DR and the year before Mexico that he is now paranoid of the cramps/stomach issues. We were so sick in January after DR that we had to go to the DR. to get tested to see if we had a parasite or something. It took about 10 days to feel normal again.

It just kind of puts a damper on everything if we can't even enjoy the food...never mind just avoiding the water. He doesn't want to eat anthing uncooked that might have been washed in tap water... I don't know whether to join him or just try to enjoy the food and hope for the best. What a downer....I wish we could have one trip where we don't get sick.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about salads, uncooked foods, etc. If you want to drink the bottled water, go for it.... but really. The food is SO fabulous, and you would totally be missing out if you didn't eat it.

As a side note: We do not drink tap water at home either. Only filtered or bottled water, and in JA, we drink the water straight out of the tap. It tastes fabulous, and there is no chlorine-y aftertaste at all.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast