Default CSA and Sand Fleas

My fiance and I are going to be at CSA for the first time may 30-june 13 2011 for our honeymoon. We are very excited; however, I am worried about these sand fleas that many people are talking about. I know they are worst in the spring, has anyone been there around those dates who can reassure me? How bad do those buggers actually get? Also, I read on the internet that they are also found in beds at times and could potentially bite you during sleep. Has anyone been witness to this?

Thank you!!!

There will likely be sand flees when you are there. I only noticed them from around sunset into the mid-evening and they can be voracious. Use deet on your legs or avoid the sand at that time and you should be fine. Sunset can be watched from the swim up pool or catamaran cruise. The only time we we actually bitten was at the beach party. We never had a probelem in our room. You will have an amazing honeymoon at CSA--not to worry!

Hello. Well I was there in June 2009, and will be there when you are there. Congrats. So the fleas Are BAD at least they were with me. REALLY BAD. when I go back this time I am buying 100% DEET before I get there and just using it the whole time. Never had a problem with getting bit in my room though, just at dusk and in the day. Just wear it, only bad thing is I cant wear my perfume while I am there, they love smell. See you there, counting down. Jane Johnstown, PA

Quote Originally Posted by tania1527 View Post
    My fiance and I are going to be at CSA for the first time may 30-june 13 2011 for our honeymoon. We are very excited; however, I am worried about these sand fleas that many people are talking about. I know they are worst in the spring, has anyone been there around those dates who can reassure me? How bad do those buggers actually get? Also, I read on the internet that they are also found in beds at times and could potentially bite you during sleep. Has anyone been witness to this?

Thank you!!!
    Some times when we are there we don't get bitten at all, sometimes it is AWFUL! We have been there during the same time in different years and it was bad once but not the other. We did have bugs in our bed the last two times we were there. When we were there for our honeymoon/vow renewal we had so many bites it was ridiculous. I was using all kinds of sprays and nothing worked. The bites were all over my whole body, even my face. There were so many in some places that larges sections of skin just puffed up into one huge bite the size of my palm. We hardly spent any time on on the beach on that trip and we didn't go into the sand at night when they are supposed to be at their worst but it was still bad. They got into our things and we brought them home too. We were getting bitten for months after we got home. I would wake up with bites every morning. That was in April this year. When we went back in Oct I got maybe 6-10 bites total.

If there are any biting bugs around, they always find me. Take a bug spray with a very high level of deet, and don't forget to use it every time you plan to be on the sand. I say "don't forget" because bug spray just isn't something you think of when you get yourself ready for dinner!

Last year for the first time, I started taking Vitamin B1 a week before our vacation, as suggested by a pharmacist friend. The B1 makes you unpleasant for the bugs to bite. I was not bite-free, but it really did help a lot.

P.S. Enjoy yourself! I'm sure you'll love CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    We did have bugs in our bed the last two times we were there. They got into our things and we brought them home too.

Were these possibly "bed bugs" then and not sand fleas?

Thanks for all your replies I guess I'll just have to wait and see and make the best out of whichever situation... I [I]will[I] bring cans of bug spray hopefully they'll work. Regardless, we are counting down the days! See you there Jane!!