Hybrid View

Default Gluten free diet...

Good Morning,
    I recently learned I have to eat gluten free due to an autoimmune disease. I've never really been much of a picky eater so this has been a big challenge when ordering out- but crucial for me at this point. We plan to return to Couples this spring however food may be an issue. I really don't want to get stuck eating fruits and veggies for 7 days. Has anyone else ever encountered this specific dietary need and how was it received when ordering food at the resort? I feel badly asking for special requests but it has to be as specific as not cooking after ANY food that has been cooked with gluten. HELP!
    And if there is one resort more accomodating than another, we are up to changing our reservations to try something new. We are currently headed to CTI but location matters very little- just need our vacation away together.

Thank you in advance for advice.
    Last edited by Artsymama; December 18th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Shawn and Rhonda Speaker
    15 years
    CTI 2010
    CTI 2011

I eat PAleo which is sort of gluten free but it is by choice. If you stick with meats, veggies and fruis, you will be O.K.

I am in the same boat. We sent an e-mail to the Couple Negril service contact and were told that it is not an issue. They told me to meet with the head chef on our first day and that everything would be taken care of.

You will be surpirsed at how easy it is

Default no worries mon!

When we went to CSA for our wedding in 2008 my brother and his wife were among the guests. She is celiac, so no gluten for her. I contacted the resort ahead of time and they told me that when we got there they would have the head chef work with her to produce special menus. Wow. They were so accommodating.
    When we got there she didn't want to make a fuss. She's been living with this for some time now, so mostly she knows what she can and cannot eat, and found plenty of meat, veggies, fruit, eggs, cheese etc. on the menu or buffet, skipping the bread or buns. One of the biggest things to watch for are sauces over meat etc. Often they are thinkened with flour (aka. gluten) so it's best to skip the sauces (which they were happy to do). One of the biggest drags for her was that many desserts were out, but they brought her chocolate instead. When we had the spice rum wedding cake she had a fruit platter. They were really amazing at working with her.
    I would contact the resort if I were you to give them a heads up, but I'm sure they'll be more than willing to work with you... any of the Couples resorts. This is yet another way in which Couples sets itself apart from all the rest.

Couples is fabulous with specialty diets. Meet with the head chef when you arrive and let him know your needs. They are more than happy to accommodate you and you won't have to eat fruit all week. No need to change resorts.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I've been gluten free for almost 2.5 years now. This will be my first vacation of any kind since being diagnosed with celiac. We're going to CN (Jan 3-8) and I was told the kitchen staff is very accommodating to special diets. Of course I can't speak for CTI but I will come back to this thread when we return in a few weeks and let you know how the food situation was.

Feel free to email me if you have any gluten free questions - I did a TON of research when I was first diagnosed. It's challenging until you learn all the tricks. leaps24 at gmail dot com

Just returned from CTI December 12th. I too need to eat gluten free. I found it a little difficult to find a lot to eat. I had asked for the chef to come out and talk to me 4 out of the 7 nights. One night was great. They didn't make me feel like I was bothering them. The other 3 nights I didn't have such a good response. 3 nights I picked and choosed what I thought looked ok to eat. The rice is great. Some of the employees at the buffet were great and very knowledgable. They answered my questions with a smile and went out of their way to tell me what was gluten free. Skip the Bayside. You will have to teach the chef there what you can and cannot eat which I was offened by. They should know this stuff if the resort says they will provide gluten free meals to their guest. All in all, I didn't go hungry but I did eat a lot of fruit and rice. The rest of the couples experience was fantastic!!!

No Problem Mon.
    Daughter was at CN with us in 2007,( she has Celiac disease) we contacted the resort prior to arriving. As well, you can pre-register now, and include your dietary restriction on this form.
    Once you arrive at the resort, make mention again.
    The Chef actualy met with her, discussed her likes, and at every dinner, came out and took her order for the night.
    Personal touch, to make your stay safe and wonderful.
    She had options for the Gluten free for lunch and breakfast on the buffett to choose from
    You will be taken care of.
    Irie,
    Barb

When you get there speak with the head Chef..Misha Ruijs [SP?}
    Wonderful person and excellent chef. I'm sure he will be more than happy to work with you.

Good luck and ejoy couples!

Ken

Wow! I haven't been on here in awhile. Thanks for your encouraging words. My husband did the leg work and we are all set. We were more than pleased with how helpful the chef was and felt like they truly cared. I'm getting used to eating this way and it isn't quite as difficult as I expected. I am actually in treatment and not supposed to be exposed to a lot of sun but I'm still doing this trip regardless. Just going to have to be careful! Thanks again everyone.

Shawn and Rhonda Speaker
    15 years
    CTI 2010
    CTI 2011