Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What’s on your playlist?

When I’m chillaxing by pool and on the beach I like to listen to Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffet, Bob and Ziggy Marley. Looking for suggestions to expand my selection. What songs or artists remind you of a cold drink in your hand sitting under the warm sun soaking up everything Couples has to offer? I need your help!

I like to listen to the CD we got from Scotch Bonnet that we bought from them when we saw them at CSS in sept 2013. I also listen to Jimmy Cliff and Peter Tosh alot on Spotify.

Hi Rod&Amy! I have some Jimmy Cliff, Beres Hammond, Third World, Shaggy, Richie Stevens, Steel Pulse and, Sean Paul on my ipod for that island vibe. Also include some classic R&B and funk too! Happy listening!:-)

I don't know why but the first thing that came to mind was the vendor that walks along the beach at CSA that yells out "ciiiiiiiggggsss".
    CSA 2010, 2013
    CTI in the future but too many days to count...who's kidding, 2015 here we come!

Kenny Chesney
    CSA - May 2009, May 2010, March 2011 (wedding), December 2012, May 2014 CSS - December 2011

my girlfriend and myself are big into reggae. 14days till CSA and our playlist has some of the following: Bob/Ziggy/Stephen/Damian/Julian Marley, Beres hammond, Shaggy(new), Black uhuru, Wailers, Gregory isaacs, Freddie Mcgregor, Barrington levy, Midnite, Slightly Stoopid, Tribal Seeds, Rebelution, Fortunate youth, Katchafire, Peter Tosh, Steel pulse, Buju Banton, jah cure, Chronixx, don Carlos, luciano, Lutan fyah, rootz underground, Groundation, Dennis Brown, morgan heritage etc. Just to name a few lol

If you do a search you will find quite a few threads like this one with many, many suggestions.

Default I was thinking the same thing yesterday and

I was searching pandora and like big mountain,steel pulse,fifty first dates soundtrack.and like you said all marley's

I love the 4 you mention and also enjoy Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, Steel Pulse, UB40, Toots and the Maytals, and Black Uhuru to name a few. Most are old school but then so am I.

Dirty Heads, Marley, Tosh, Tribal Seeds, Passafire, Rebelution, Stick Figure.

Zac Brown Band...Toes, Knee Deep and Island Song!
    One Love, Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by Rod&Amy View Post
    When I’m chillaxing by pool and on the beach I like to listen to Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffet, Bob and Ziggy Marley. Looking for suggestions to expand my selection. What songs or artists remind you of a cold drink in your hand sitting under the warm sun soaking up everything Couples has to offer? I need your help!
    Last week on catamaran and also on private sunset cruise, we heard Chronixx sing Smile Jamaica. My new favorite. Also Sweet Jamaica by Mr. Vegas and Shaggy.

To name a few......

Zac Brown
    Steel Pulse (True Democracy album)
    Ilo
    UB40
    Greatful Dead
    Maxi Priest
    Michael Franti
    Chris Isaak (Baja Sessions album)
    Peter Tosh
    Rusted Root

A really great island CD is Kenny Chesney's Lucky Old Sun. Takes me back to CN every time.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Frank Sinatra, Sade, Gordon Lightfoot, Steel Pulse, Bob (of course) have been bringing my boombox to Jamaica past 9 trips, have learned a thing or 2 about what music to play. Different playlists for different crowds. 70's-80's-90's Rap-Reggae-Rock-TV themes (for shot trivia) Country (not a lot) and sorry no Chesney nor that other guy Buffet. But I bet I'll get ya moving and asking for requests!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by The DJ; May 19th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Try Jason Mraz. A few reggae stylie songs but the rest make a nice change from the constant reggae vibe. Ditto with Ed Sheeran. We expect lots of reggae to be played when we are in Jamaica and some of the songs are, of course, classic and thoroughly enjoyable but it is not our usual musical preference, especially when on constantly, morning noon and night. I think couples could do with changing the music occasionally. Anyone else agree?

I suppose the difficulty is that if you divert from the traditional Jamaican music theme then you are more likely to irritate people with the music they don't like! It's probably a lose-lose situation from the management point of view.

Some classic soul would cut it up a bit though, and is likely to be acceptable to all. No?

Quote Originally Posted by The DJ View Post
    Frank Sinatra, Sade, Gordon Lightfoot, Steel Pulse, Bob (of course) have been bringing my boombox to Jamaica past 9 trips, have learned a thing or 2 about what music to play. Different playlists for different crowds. 70's-80's-90's Rap-Reggae-Rock-TV themes (for shot trivia) Country (not a lot) and sorry no Chesney nor that other guy Buffet. But I bet I'll get ya moving and asking for requests!
    So let me get this straight--you bring your boombox with you and just show up at the bars, beach etc. and start playing tunes for everyone? And you're just a guest, not a Couples employee?

Please let me know what dates and what resort you'll be at.

I suppose the difficulty is that if you divert from the traditional Jamaican music theme then you are more likely to irritate people with the music they don't like! It's probably a lose-lose situation from the management point of view.

Murtle, as you stated above, I think trying to find a mix of music that would appeal to everyone would be impossible. Playing Reggae at a Jamaican resort IMO, you can't really go wrong. I think most people expect it to be played. It adds to the Jamaican "vibe". At the 3 Couples we have been to, I've only noticed the music turned on at certain times during the day at the pool bars.
    Everybody has their own taste in music and that's great. It leads to more variety that's for sure. For us, when we go to Couples, we would prefer that they stick with Reggae but that's us. Before we found Couples, we had the misfortune of staying at the "B" resort in Runaway Bay and were forced to listen to mostly Rap all week because they let the staff pick the music. Not exactly a real Jamaican experience to say the least. The only good thing that came out of it was that our search for a new resort brought us to Couples.
    I like a lot of variety in my music and "The Joint" is one of my 6 presets in my car, all of which I listen to. Listening to Reggae while driving through a snow storm in a Chicago winter takes me back to Jamaica but I certainly don't listen to Reggae exclusively.
    Listening to Reggae while floating in the pool or at the beach when we're at Couples tells me I'm back "home". It's also nice when a member of the staff starts to sing along with a song that's playing which happens quite a lot.
    My vote is stick with Reggae by the pools during the day and let people enjoy they're own playlists in their rooms. The nightly entertainment is rarely all Reggae so it's not like it's all Reggae all morning, noon & night.

I am quite sure that there is something in my "playlist" that would be offensive at worst or annoying at best to almost everyone. That's why I love modern tech, I can sit with my blue tooth head phones cranked up in total bliss with my Marilyn Manson (not exclusively, but just to make a point) and not bother anyone. A public music system on the beach would not be welcome. I will be tapping my foot in the sand in three weeks. If you ask I will tell you what is playing.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

In todays high tech tune out the world atmosphere almost everyone listens to their music with earphones so as to enjoy better quality and privacy while not competing with other's music choices. Bringing a boom box or any radio that plays out loud is frowned upon at most beaches and parks these days. People reserve the choice to listen or not listen to music. That being said, at resorts throughout the Caribbean we do enjoy going local. Local food, drinks, sights, customs, music, dance...the list goes on and on. I do not travel hours and spend all that money to do, hear, eat, and drink what I already do at home! If the resort chooses to play music at any of its bars or venues the best choice would be the local style. Reggae in Jamaica (although it is now all through the islands), soca music on many southern islands, calypso on Trinidad and Tobago, Latin beats like merengue and salsa in the Dominican Republic, some steel drums at any of these, etc. If the music is not being played by the resort do not try to be the entertainer yourself. For every one person who says that sounds good there are many who wish you would just turn it off so they can relax and maybe read, listen to the surf on the shore, or their own music on their MP3 player. They just don't tell you. Be considerate of your beach neighbors. The days of competing transistor radios on the beaches is long dead and for good reason.

Kenny Chesney, Zac brown Band, Dierks Bentley, Brett Eldredge, Chris Young, Cole Swindell, Luke Bryan's Spring Break albums****, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Mraz, Jake Owen, Kip Moore. Mostly all of those are country, but for this I strongly reccomend Kenny, Zac, Luke, Kip, and FLGA Line.

Tribal Seeds is probably this day in ages best version of reagee. Also, try Steel Panther. Amazingly talented and funny band.

I love when this list comes around... When I think Couples and Jamaica, here are some of the artists that come to mind for MY playlist...

Freddy McGregor
    Gregory Isaacs
    Judy Mowatt
    Marcia Griffiths
    Marley, Marley, Marley, Marley! (Bob, David (Ziggy), Stephen, Damian)
    Jimmy Cliff
    Buju Banton
    Beres Hammond

.... the list goes on... but I also stock up on my favorite podcasts from Big Mikey Dread Reggae Radio, Ian Hauser's House of Reggae, and D-Ro's Jah Works Radio.

I'll also plug (and plug into) any of the music that's been put out since 2009 by the Playing For Change Foundation... look them up... they have been doing good works now for 5 years, making amazing music, and helping people and children around the world, with the help of some of the monsters of pop, folk, street and world music! You'll be cheating yourself if you don't look into it...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Reggae radio on pandora

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    So let me get this straight--you bring your boombox with you and just show up at the bars, beach etc. and start playing tunes for everyone? And you're just a guest, not a Couples employee?

Please let me know what dates and what resort you'll be at.
    HAHA ! Yes, a mere guest only, "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" No but seriously, happy hour at about 5ish when we are all blasted and we get some good music going, well now that can be a party. Usually why we always end up eating late, just don't want to leave the pool bars. However I am respectful, if too loud, I turn it down, and I draw the line on very offensive lyrics, but you can put 2 and 2 together. I do my best to play what people want to hear, the key is to play a song and someone yells "OMG I love that! haven't heard it in years" so that's how this came about. CN July 26-Aug2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast