Default Book direct through couples?

We have traveled only once,this was to CN. We are looking at traveling again very soon so if you could post a reply after reading, it would be appreciated Has anyone booked direct through Couples rather than a travel agent and is there anything to know? You book your trip with air and Couples transports you from airport to Couples, is there any extra fees you can think of or did it go well to directly book yourself? I know there may be tipping for bags at the airport but just wondering before I attempt it!

We have booked every one of our 18 trips by booking directly with Couples. Pick up the phone or book on-line; it's easy either way. We always book our flights directly with the airline.

No matter how you book your vacation (through Couples or through a travel agent), transfers from the airport to the resort and back again are included. You don't need to book your flight through Couples; transfers are included even if you book your flight separately.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Annvan - We've been to CSA twice now and have booked both times on bookit.com. The total included CSA, airfare, taxes, transfers, etc. The only thing we had to cover was the extra cost for checked-in luggage at the US Airways and then your expected tips once you arrive in Jamaica. We liked booking through this site since you can break your payments down into three installments, depending if you book early enough. I shopped around until I found the best price. Good luck!!

Two years ago we booked both the hotel and the airfare through Couples. For last year's trip we booked the hotel through Couples and the air direct, but only because the times we wanted weren't offered as a combination directly on Couples. We had no issues either way. And as everyone says, it makes no difference how you book, transportation to the resort is part of the inclusions.

Good luck and have fun

Default CC Fees

I did book through couple directly once. The pricing was the same as the TA's but without the $30 TA fee I would have had to pay....so I thought I save a couple bucks... well until i realized that the international fee charged on the credit card because Couples processes payments through their Jamaican bank. that was 3%...way 5X more than the booking fee I would have paid through the TA. I think I have seen that one of the few CC's that doesnt charge a fee is Capital One... That was the only downfall...everything else was good.

Look at the left side and find a local travel afent, someone who is reccomended by Couples. Keep your local economy alive!

Default Watch for foreign transaction fees on CC

Hi -

We booked directly with Couples for our last month's split trip to CN/CSS. We've always gone through AAA, but we had enough airline miles to fly free (yay!), so we booked direct.

Our Mastercard charged us a 2% foreign transaction fee on our reservations, both down payment and final payment, since Couples banks in Jamaica. No way around it that we could find... It ended up costing us over $100 extra. Lesson learned.

Just be aware this may happen (depends on your credit card) by booking directly, so you can compare your pricing between an American travel agent and directly.

Personally, I would at least book airfare through a travel agent. If you do then you have someone to help you if you have some sort of nightmare experience...think of the recent issues with the blizzard on the east coast.

On our last trip our travel agent phoned me on a Friday afternoon to inform me that the airline had rearranged our flight times and we had a 3 minute connection in Atlanta on the way to Montego Bay. All I had to do was pick one of the three options she had already worked up for us and go back to work while she cancelled the flight we had booked, book the new flight and make sure the trip insurance was proper for the new total as it changed the price of the trip but a couple hundred dollars (my choice to make the flight more appealing for us). if we hadn't had a travel agent I don't know when I would have seen that the flight had been changed and when I did I would have had to scramble to make all those arrangements myself...happy Friday afternoon!

I'm just a bit fan of travel agents as you always have someone you can call if you get in to a situation and there isn't any extra fee for using one. I can't see a big problem booking the resort through Couples if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulphead View Post
    I did book through couple directly once. The pricing was the same as the TA's but without the $30 TA fee I would have had to pay....so I thought I save a couple bucks... well until i realized that the international fee charged on the credit card because Couples processes payments through their Jamaican bank. that was 3%...way 5X more than the booking fee I would have paid through the TA. I think I have seen that one of the few CC's that doesnt charge a fee is Capital One... That was the only downfall...everything else was good.
    If the TA charged you a $30 fee you should find a new travel agent. The only time you should pay a TA fee is now on airline tickets as the airlines no longer pay TA's a commission. Couples does pay a commission so there should be no fee.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

We have booked through Couples and Online travel companies. This year we found we saved $300 by booking with the travel Online so we went that route. Both ways are good. Just find the one who will give you the better flights and cost.

My husband & I booked our trip directly through Couples. We didn't book airfare because, it was not available at the time of booking. I have not had any problems with our reservations. I have had to change my cc info once because it was eaten by an ATM but, still no problems. I also have NEVER been charged a transaction fee. I use my debit card so, I don't know if that makes a difference. I just think it's your choice and your comfort level. I just can't wait to get there in 09/2011.
    Terry & Tonia Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    If the TA charged you a $30 fee you should find a new travel agent. The only time you should pay a TA fee is now on airline tickets as the airlines no longer pay TA's a commission. Couples does pay a commission so there should be no fee.
    yes it was for the air portion... booked everything at once, air and resort..... This time around I paid the $30 fee in order to save the 3% credit card "hi-jacking fee" for international charges... CC companies got ya comin' or goin'! In this case they took money from pocket without me even knowing...

Default Credit card Companies

Quote Originally Posted by Pulphead View Post
    yes it was for the air portion... booked everything at once, air and resort..... This time around I paid the $30 fee in order to save the 3% credit card "hi-jacking fee" for international charges... CC companies got ya comin' or goin'! In this case they took money from pocket without me even knowing...
    One of my credit cards (the one I no longer will use) notified me that they will be going to a charge if you want a paper statement on top of the annual fee they charge. (I ALWAYS call & get the annual fee waived)
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"