Thread: CN Review

Default CN Review

We were at CN 12/3-12/10. We took TimAir to the resort for the first time. We loved it. We probably didn't save much time but the view from the air was fantastic. We planned on walking from the airstrip but a cabbie insisted on driving us, no charge. Said we shouldn't have to walk on our vacation.

Check in was quick. I wanted an upgrade because we had booked a Garden Deluxe and I wanted to be closer to nude beach. We hang out there and I had a recent minor injury and didn't want to walk too much. I made it clear I was willing to pay but was told the resort was full that night-next night was not and they would move us if we wanted to. Our room wasn't ready so we grabbed some towels and headed to the AN beach, stripped down and got wet.

Went back to desk a few hours later and our room was ready. Quick walk and we were at bldg 7, floor 2. Complimentary upgrade. We had a beautiful partial ocean view and only had to climb to 2nd floor. Thank you couples. The room was great in every way. There was a lot of road noise at night but if we shut the bathroom shutters and turned on the air, it was AOK. And after the 2nd night, we didn't notice anyway. The location was exactly perfect for us.

Mostly, the staff was fantastic. I am terrible with names, but the woman that cleaned our room was wonderful. She came at the same time every day and did a great job.
    Most of the bartenders were great. There were a few that were scowly--maybe they were having a bad day. We just moved to a different bar. Additionally, nearly every staff member had a friendly greeting and a smile for us wherever we went.

Also, we met a lot of nice people from all over. I am very shy and my husband is very outgoing so he met more than I did but I met more this time than I ever have.

We had to ask for our repeater items and our resort credits but we got them immediately. When we checked out (a breeze) we were given our $100 check for being at passionate level.

The AN beach was fun. Quiet for the most part but full of friendly people. The ocean was wild-whitecaps. It was a blast to play in the waves. Security was very good on the beach and people who didn't comply were asked to leave. Gawkers were moved along fairly quickly. There were some people there without spouses but no one was bothered by it. Everyone seemed respectful of each other's space.

A couple of things we wish they would address.

First, the buffet food all looked good but was never warm. From breakfast to supper, it was consistently cold. There are a lot of purposely cold options so we didn't starve but I wish the food was hot so I could see how it tasted.

Second, it was very tiresome that the bars were often 'out' of supplies, including limes, grey goose, bombay sapphire, bloody mary mix, tomato juice, olive juice, olives...We did enjoy the tropical drinks at all the bars, our favorite remains the jamaican delight but my husband tried the dirty banana and was hooked. But in the evening, we don't like to drink the sweet drinks and it was discouraging when the piano bar or main bar was 'out' of the primary supplies when they had just opened.

So anyway, we are Couples loyalists. This was our 7th trip and we are booked for next December so apparently we enjoyed this trip a lot. It was very relaxing laying on the beach all day and reading, sunning, swimming in the ocean and talking to other naked people

I'd like to thank Couples, the staff, the guests and my husband for a great vacation. I (we) can't wait to go back.

Default lukewarm food

Hi Kandl,

We were at CN the same time you were, and we mentioned both of the things you did. The buffet food, was, at best, lukewarm. We tried to stay with the "cooked fresh" things because of it.

And, you're right about the "out of stock" issues at the bars. I think they were out of bananas for 2 days, and getting tomato juice was a problem for us, too.

I think you may have moved into one of our vacated rooms on Saturday, the 4th, as two of us moved from building 7, second floor to building 2, first floor on the same day! Funny!

Like you, we are loyal repeaters, but unless we let management know something is off, it can't be fixed.

Glad to hear you had a good time again,
    Beergirl

Hi kandi;
    I have a quick question for you. My parents are going to CN in February and have requested a handicapped room. I have been told they will be in building 7. Daddy uses a walker and has trouble with stairs. Is it possible to walk from building 7 to the front of the lobby without stairs? I cannot see from the map.

Thanks,
    Marnie

Hey Marnie-I tried to answer this question for you while I was there-maybe it never showed up. Anyway, yes, we checked it out and while it is slight incline to the lobby from bldg 7, it is a short walk up the entrance driveway. Hope they have a great time and perfect weather. Wish we were going back in Feb. 330 days seems an awful long time away.
    Beergirl-glad to know it wasn't just us being picky about those things. I don't like to complain - I am just so happy to get out of Iowa in December - but we love to eat and drink and when those things are hindered, we get crabby! Like you, we took it in stride, but we would love to see it improved next year.

Marnies, I will answer because many may not know there is a path. We have stayed in building 8 both times and as you are walking toward the center, one of the paths goes right to the front of the lobby/piano bar area, no stairs. It is at the path that is kind of between building 7 and 8, but they will be able to get to the pool area directly without stairs or the lobby/ piano bar/ gift shop area without the stairs as well...

I hope they have a WONDERFUL time. Wish we were there to help show them the path!

Thanks for the great review Kandi,

My husband and I vacationned at CSA last April and have decided to try CN in March. We would have repeated CSA in a heartbeat but, this year the prices for CN were much better than CSA, so much so we couldn't pass up the opportunity to try CN. We are a bit nervous about CN because we just LOVED CSA and are affraid to be disappointed...(As if you could be disappointed on vacation in Negril...LOL!) After reading all the positive reviews about CN...I think we will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnies View Post
    Is it possible to walk from building 7 to the front of the lobby without stairs?
    Yes, it is, with a slight exception.

If you follow the sidewalk behind the stage at Cassava (i.e. from block 7) you can come out into the limited employee parking area and then follow the sidewalk up the circular driveway to the front entrance of the lobby (it is here that you're changing elevation - a bit steep perhaps for a walker.) There are a few steps up into the lobby (two, I think), which is the exception to which I refer.

There is a somewhat similar path to the other side (blocks 1 through 5) behind the main buildings, in the event they really need to get to the other side (nurse station, spa, etc.). The area behind the main buildings is a bit rough (not smooth like the sidewalk) and I don't believe it is intended for heavy guest traffic, if any. The staff uses these paths for the luggage carts.

No there is not any way to get from the lobby to building 7 or vice versa. There is a spiral staircase that goes down to the main dining room, it does have wide steps that migth accomadate. And there is are two staircases that come down in the center of the building and a side stair case. I do not know if there is an elevator, I have never looked.

Hi Kandi, nice quick and to the point review. There's some good points in the review: if the food is suppose to b hot then it should, not lukewarm. And there's nothing like going to the bar, ordering your beverage and finding out that they don't have the ingredients. Or ordering several drinks and items r missing. I am glad that u still had a nice time. How is the weather in December?
    Terry & Tonia Collins

Marbles,

Yes, it is possible to walk from Bldg 7 to anywhere on the property without using stairs. The resort is very handicap friendly.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Big thanks to all of you for the info on the path! I know they will feel much better knowing they can get to the Piano Bar at night. Last trip they were in building 2 and didn't even try to get there. I have been busy getting ready for our trip to CSA and CSS so missed the answers for a few days!
    Thanks again all!

Marnie

Spice-weather in December is generally great. Not humid but hot. I think this year was cooler than usual and VERY windy. Still, not as cold and windy as Iowa in December so I threw on a light wrap
    Angela-We went to CSA on a short vacation. We were nervous too because what could be better than CN. I loved CSA but no nude beach, which of course we knew but I wanted to try it. If it had the nude beach, we would go there, alternately, I think. CN is very fun and friendly. Beautiful beach, great layout. Have a blast.

Thanks for the reveiw Kandi. We're headed home in June...3rd visit to CN. Getting excited and ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    No there is not any way to get from the lobby to building 7 or vice versa. There is a spiral staircase that goes down to the main dining room, it does have wide steps that migth accomadate. And there is are two staircases that come down in the center of the building and a side stair case. I do not know if there is an elevator, I have never looked.
    It is possible to get from the lobby to any of the room buildings without taking stairs. Think about it. Have you ever seen the luggage cart kareening down the stairs (or more improbably, trying to get up the stairs)? Of course not. There is a pathway near the front of the lobby (where guests arrive) that slopes gently toward the room levels. Guests wishing to avoid stairs can take that path.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).