Default Newbie questions

We will be at CSS 1/14 - 1/22/11. I have just a few questions. I have read elsewhere that men are expected to wear a jacket when dining at Casanova. Is this true? What time do the beaches open in the morning? Does anyone have a suggestion on where to dine on lobster night?

Finally, for those who travel from colder climates, what do you do with your winter coats at your departure airport? Leave them in the car (brrr when coming back)? Take them with you (seems like a pain)? We're flying out of Buffalo, NY.

Just 2 1/2 weeks. Can't wait. Hope we have nice weather.

Default newbie

We are traveling there the same dates as you, leaving from North Dakota! I read a tip to leave our coats in the car and bring a light weight fleece that gives some warmth but less bulky than a big coat! See you there!

Default No jacket needed

You definitely do NOT need a jacket at Cassanova. Collared shirts and pants are fine. This was our favorite restaurant and I recommend it on Lobster night (that is the first thing we are going to book when we arrive in Jan). Also you can sit inside or outside. I prefer the outside. It is beautiful on a starry night.

Sorry - I can't talk to the beach as we are mineral pool people.

You will have an awesome timer.

Welcome! You are in for an amazing experience at CSS. We will be returning again that same week.

You do not need a sports coat for Casanova, but you do need khakis or slacks, collared shirt and closed-toe shoes for men. The CSS page has the specific dress code on the main website I believe.

We enjoyed lobster night at The Pallazina last trip but hope to go to Casanova this time. You really can't go wrong with either, but we really enjoyed our dinners at Casanova.

We are Texans, so certainly not from a colder climate...HOWEVER...we had the pleasure of flying out of DFW last year during their record snowfall event that ultimately closed the airport...and we left our heavy coats in the car for the reasons you stated, and thought warm thoughts about Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by richnsue View Post
    We will be at CSS 1/14 - 1/22/11. I have just a few questions. I have read elsewhere that men are expected to wear a jacket when dining at Casanova.
    ....Absolutely not. You won't see men wearing jackets anywhere!!

Quote Originally Posted by richnsue View Post
    We will be at CSS 1/14 - 1/22/11. Finally, for those who travel from colder climates, what do you do with your winter coats at your departure airport? Leave them in the car (brrr when coming back)? Take them with you (seems like a pain)? We're flying out of Buffalo, NY.

Just 2 1/2 weeks. Can't wait. Hope we have nice weather.
    ...Just going to have to bare it. Hopefully, you'll have someone pick you up at the airport. Then no real problem. Another hint on a similar situation. My wife bought a few pairs of "Convertible Pants" from Bass Pro Shop ($20). She wore these TO the airport, then unzipped the legs on the plane to have shorts once in Jamaica.

We were at CSS last year. You will love it!

Ditto on the suit jacket for men. It is most definitely not required.

The beaches never close, per se. You can go down to the beach whenever you want. The staff may be raking the beach if you get there very early, but it's not a problem.

We live in Buffalo! Do you live nearby to the airport? If so, we've found the easiest thing to do is to take a cab to and from the airport. It's about a wash on cost with parking, and you can run into the cab and then into the terminal without a coat. The bonus part we've found is that if it DOES snow while you're in Jamaica (and it probably will), if your car is parked outside at the airport, it is a real bummer spending the last hours of your vacation cleaning snow off of your car so that you can get home.

Even if you live farther away from the airport, leave the winter coats either at home or in the car. You'll only be cold for a very short while. You don't want to pack that type of bulk in your luggage. Bob usually wears a sweatshirt to the airport, and I'll wear a jean jacket. We typically travel in January, too.

The beach is open 24/7. Although it is not a good idea to take a tip in the water after dark because many sea critters come out at night

As far as what to do with you winter coats if you are fortunate to have someone take you and pick you up at the airport as we do, they can bring them to you when they pick you up

I agree with showgirl, we fly from MN and leave the heavy jackets in the car. We wear a sweatshirt for the plane as I usually get cold anyway. I also bring shorts and change before we land in paradise. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I agree with showgirl, we fly from MN and leave the heavy jackets in the car. We wear a sweatshirt for the plane as I usually get cold anyway. I also bring shorts and change before we land in paradise. Have fun!
    This is also what we do from Iowa. And, what we are going to do in THREE DAYS!!!!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We fly out of Pittsburgh in Feb. and leave the winter coats in the car. We usually park off-site of the airport and are shuttled to & from. This way, dressed in capris, long pants and sweatshirt, we are still warm and they drop us off, right at the curb. Upon arrival back in Pgh., they have our car warm & waiting for us. It works well! In our carry-on bag, we have flip flops to change into and underneath our sweatshirts, we are wearing either a tank top or t-shirt. By the time we actually land at MoBay, we're wearing our lightest clothes, our toes are exposed and we're ready to REALLY begin our vacation!

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. We are really looking forward to this trip. Hope to meet up with those of you that will be there at the same tiem as we are. We are not forunate enough to have someone picking us up. Will leave our coats in the car and wear a sweatshirt or fleece jacket.

WE live in Central Wisconsin, and fly out of Minneapolis. WE leave our coats in the car, dress in layers,wear long sleaves, sweaters, etc. with a tank top underneath, and bring shorts to change into as soon as we hit eihter Atlanta or Jamaica. All works well. I sometimes get a little cold, but my husband is fine.
    Linda

RichnSue....we're in Buffalo too. Fortunatley, we have family who drop us off and pick us up at BNFA. But no, we don't wear our winter coats. My Carribbean flying attire is a pair of lightweight khaki's, shirt, hoodie and sneakers. The family is nice enough to bring out coats to the airport so we can try and warm up while staring at the snow, wishing it were sand We arrive at CSS on the 17th - see you there.