Default OK - Can Someone Tell Me How To Do This

In all our trips to Couples, I've never booked through their website ... Always through an airline website with air/hotel together & took out their Trip Cancellation For Any Reason Insurance. So now, I'm wanting to book through Couples.com before the rates go up on January 14th for a date too far out to book the air portion ... Couples insurance is just for the hotel (for the last 45 days before travel really & it looks like the refund is given back in travel credits from the insurance company, not in actual $$'s) . . . . . . So here is my question & it may sound dumb but even after talking to Couples, the airlines, & the travel insurance place I still am not sure what to do:

Question: When I book now with Couples, should I take out their insurance for the hotel portion or go through an outside company??? I want it covered up to day of travel. If I do, what about when I book the air portion??? Do I need insurance for that or can I just pay the change fee if I need to reschedule & change my ticket to another date (paying the difference in price for the new date)???? Don't know why this seems so confusing to me but what do the rest of you do when you book your hotel & air separately???? Any input would be helpful.
    Julie

I can relate to your dilemma. We had always booked our entire trip through a single source as well, either online TA, airline package or brick & mortar TA. This year's trip we booked separately through the Couples site for CSA reservations and air through the airline's web site directly. We booked CSA some months before the air schedules were available and selected the dates we wanted at that time. We did purchase the travel insurance through Couples as well for the hotel portion of our trip. When the airline schedules became available we shopped prices for two or three months before purchasing our tickets. They are of the no refund variety, fee for changes, etc. We also purchased separate travel insurance for the air portion that also covers medical emergencies and so on while we are traveling. We booked CSA last June for our trip this June. We purchased our airline tickets in late October, when the prices seemed to be at their best (we did OK with that). The air travel dates did not match up exactly with our CSA reservation so we called the Couples 800 number and changed our hotel dates to match up with the flights. No problems at all.

My suggestion is to make the two transactions as totally separate, only coordinating the dates appropriately, and insure them separately as makes you feel comfortable. I figure it is always some what of a gamble to make travel plans that costly and that far in advance, but you pays your money and you takes your chances, things usually work out. So far all is well with out plans and I anticipate being on the beach on June 9th as scheduled.

Good luck, watch your thread for advice from more seasoned travelers than us. I consider us to be still novices at this game.

Have a great trip!

We always do the Air seperate on our own and take the insurance they offer. We book Couples direct and take the insurance they offer.

Another option which we have done often is decline everyone's insurance and insure the entire trip with insuremytrip.com resonable rates and only one company to deal with should you need to use the insurance.

I can see why your confused and don't want to make the wrong decision. We just get frequent trip insurance. Your covered for the entire year for everything and every trip. We use Desjardins. On our last trip to Couples my husband broke his leg water skiing, and we had to end our trip and return home. The insurance covered all the costs and a portion of our unused days. The price for the frequent trips was close to just one trip. We usually travel a couple of times a year so this option makes the most sense for us. The only thing that people should know about any travel insurance is that you must get their permission before you do anything. You can go to the Dr. first, then call them and they must authorize your next step. You just can't return home without contacting them, and expect them to pay for it all. I hope this helps.

Hi Julie,

We always book hotel and air separate. We get the insurance from Couples and then book the airfare through the airline and get their insurance. The airline insurance is less expensive than rebooking fees and it also covers you if you get stranded somewhere or your luggage doesn't arrive when you do. The insurance will pay for a hotel and food if you are stranded at the airport for more than a few hours or clothing and other necessities if your luggage doesn't arrive within 24 hours.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

My own experience...we had to cancel a trip once, really cancel it not just move it to a later date or whatever. We had trip insurance on the whole trip. We got all our money back not just a voucher or something. It just depends on what you are willing to settle for should something unforeseen come up and you have to cancel that trip. And if you are willing to take the chance you need to be careful when you book the air, some tickets will say non-refundable but you can cancel you just can't get a refund you'll get a credit for those miles with that airline and others you really can't cancel them without just losing out. Same with the hotel portion, what are you willing to take as a refund if you need to cancel...that's what you need to seek as insurance. We've always purchased insurance that refunded our money and for me I wouldn't do it any other way.

Funny you should JUST ask. We JUSt did this seperate this time. It was actually cheaper for us to book the hotel and air by itself. I did not get the insurance due to my credit card has it. Airline is get the insurance for.

Thanks everybody for your responses .... They are all very much appreciated. We have always taken out the cancellation insurance for our major trips like Jamaica when we booked a travel package & hoped never to use it just like with any other kind of insurance but a few years ago we did have to cancel our trip to Couples 2 weeks out & were happy we had it .... We had made sure at that time that we had the kind that refunded us cash - not credit vouchers. That's what is confusing me about the insurance offered through Couples is that it says in the policy that any hotel cancellation penalty (which wouldn't kick in until 45 days out until day of travel) will be refunded in Island Romance Holidays travel certificates & I have no idea what that is. I've received an e-mail back from Sean & he's going to have someone contact me so hopefully someone will be able to explain it for me.

How much does the insurance just for the airfare normally cost ??? I've never bothered with it before when getting airline tickets but guess I've never bought tickets that were as pricey as what the ones to Jamaica are ... That would be too much to lose if something should happen & we needed to cancel or reschedule.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Julie

The airline insurance is a price per dollar spent. If you go on the airline's website and look under their tab for insurance, it will tell you what the cost is.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thanks Coloradojuli .... Appreciate it!
    Julie