Default Snorkeling from SSB

First off who has done it? Is it any good? We would like to try it in the buff! We will be there in May.
    Thanks

I haven't snorkelled there, but observed a few that have. When I asked them if there was anything to see, they responded yes. I watched as they went over to the right along the cliff rocks.

We usually got to CTI every year and one year due to the renovations we went to CSS and SSB everyday... at CTI we snorkle almost every day off the island but at SSB we didnt... it is different with the river coming into the ocean right there... a bit rough and nippy...

We've done it. It wasn't real exciting. The snorkle trip is much better. If snorkeling off SSB is your only reason for bringing your gear I wouldn't bother.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Snorkeling is fair in Feb. last year. Be careful to not go out too far, hard to get back because of the current.

Thanks for the replies. We both just love to snorkel and wanted to do more than just the trip. How about off the main beach?

Default snorkeling off SSB

We just got back yesterday, and went snorkeling several times off SSB. The rocks and reefs are definitely not AS spectacular as those on the snorkeling trip, but were definitely worth it for us, just because snorkeling in the buff is kind of fun.

The best way to do it, for us, was to wait for a calm, sunny day, and go to the far edge, furthest away from the colder river water. The first 20 feet of entry are a little murky, but we found that if we made a beeline straight to the first point of rocks (maybe 100 feet out?), then suddenly the water warms up A LOT, and the underwater views get MUCH better.

We snorkeled our way around to the tip of the peninsula, and saw lots of brain coral, fan coral, interesting shells on the sandy bottom, and LOTS of small black and white sea urchins. So, for us- totally worth it to bring our own snorkeling equipment (as you'll read on the board, the guys at the watersports desk don't let you check out snorkeling stuff for use off the beach- they save it for the actual snorkeling trip).

And on the way back in, if you stay close to the rocks, the river current really isn't that bad. It's true you'll be swimming against it, but it's not like it's super strong and will be carrying you out to sea or anything. We're in decent shape (but not amazing), and it was no problem getting back in.

Hope that helps-
    Last edited by ndendei; January 13th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndendei View Post
    We just got back yesterday, and went snorkeling several times off SSB. The rocks and reefs are definitely not AS spectacular as those on the snorkeling trip, but definitely worth it, just because snorkeling au naturel is kind of fun.

The best way to do it, for us, was to wait for a calm, sunny day, and go to the far edge, furthest away from the colder river water. The first 20 feet of entry are a little murky, but we found that if we made a beeline straight to the first point of rocks (maybe 100 feet out?), then suddenly the water warms up A LOT, and the underwater views get MUCH better.

We snorkeled our way around to the tip of the peninsula, and saw lots of brain coral, fan coral, interesting shells on the sandy bottom, and LOTS of small black and white sea urchins. So, for us- totally worth it to bring our own snorkeling equipment (as you'll read on the board, the guys at the watersports desk don't let you check out snorkeling stuff for use off the beach- they save it for the actual snorkeling trip).

Hope that helps-
    I was thinking it would be better exactly where you described when I looked at the overhead view. We are both strong swimmers so we wouln not be nervous to go out that far on a calm day. We are taking our equipment for sure now.
    Thanks!