Hybrid View

Default Repel mosquitoes? (Vitamin B/garlic?)

I have been reading about the potential effectiveness of taking oral vitamin B and odor-less garlic AHEAD of time in order to tweak your body chemistry and repel mosquitoes.

Has anyone tried this? How much did you take of each supplement?

<3 CSA: 5/1/11, 4/24/10

Quote Originally Posted by DominickandKim View Post
    I have been reading about the potential effectiveness of taking oral vitamin B and odor-less garlic AHEAD of time in order to tweak your body chemistry and repel mosquitoes.

.... After getting ate up last year at CN, Iwent the Vitamin B1 route for our trip to CSS. No bites this time.

I read that there is no scientific evidence to support Vitamin B's effectiveness against mosquitoes. Off! is your best bet. I spray all exposed parts of my body when I go out after the sun is down. I also spray the bedsheets before bed. It's pretty extreme. I'm sure it's nice to leave windows and patio doors open at night, but I never do because of mosquitoes. I usually leave Jamaica with no fewer than 10 bites (the most being more than 30), but on our last trip (#4), we had perfected our rituals, and I didn't get a single bite!

Quote Originally Posted by DominickandKim View Post

I took am a target for biting insects. I have read articles about all these types of repellents. I've read lots where people /scientists say it's a waste of time. Some people swear by it. I was literally attack by sand flies in St. Lucia and don't wish to go thru that agian so I bought some deep woods sportman off today. I will also bring my antihistamine and caladryl.

I take a multi B 50 vitamin every day, and here in Canada the mosquitoes never both me. When I started reading also about the B vitamins repelling mosquitoes, I thought maybe that is why they bother my husband but not me. So I took my B vitamins every day while in Jamaica, and I got bitten by mosquitoes, but not my husband. The mosquitoes there are very small and you don't really see them until they bite you. I got about 6 bites while in Jamaica. Sorry I can't tell you more positive reviews, but that was my experience.

Just an FYI - the bugs are not mosquitoes that are biting you, it is sand fleas. They come out at dusk on the beach area and also come out when it rains. Staying away from the beach after the sun goes down can help. I used Avon's Skin So Soft instead of bug spray. It does the trick without stinking.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

How long before to take the vit B so it works? I will try anything at this point.

Sprayed OFF before going to the beach for the sunset. Got bit by sand fleas anyway. It does nothing for them.

Will be waiting for more info on this. Last time I was at CSA! I got one single bite on my forehead. The swelling was so bad I ended up in the nurses office. 2 shots in the bottom some cream and oral steroids. I was good as new... But a bit drowsy to say the least... Loved the place so much I would risk it over and over. Will be bringing meds with me next time (Nov 2011) just in-case. Thank god for trip insurance. Medication is not cheap there!! Cost for the treatment there 306 US dollars.

Just an FYI - the bugs are not mosquitoes that are biting you, it is sand fleas. They come out at dusk on the beach area and also come out when it rains. Staying away from the beach after the sun goes down can help. I used Avon's Skin So Soft instead of bug spray. It does the trick without stinking.

Not exactly sure what bite me, but I got a few bites while eating dinner at the Palms, and a few more bites on my veranda.

my wife would always have a lot of bites when vieiting swept away, last time she started taking B 1 vitamins about a month ahead of time and i was surprised, she had very few, it realy worth a try,