Default Walking Around Outside of CSA

Another question I just thought of Last time we were at CSA we ran across the street to a gas station to get some local treats. It seemed a little shady (cars slowing down as soon as we left the safety of the guards). This prevented us from walking around outside of the resort. Has anyone done this? Is there much to see outside of CSA? Is it safe? Thanks again!

I suspect since you were crossing the road, the cars slowed down so they wouldn't hit you or wanting to see if you wanted to hire a taxi. I have often been by myself off resorts in Negril, never a problem. Use common sense, be polite and don't prejudge - it is a caribbean island after all.

We have always walked around outside the resort and have never encountered a problem. Like Seanpaul said, Use common sense, be polite and don't prejudge - no worries.

The resort we have stayed at in the past didn't have any place like this to get "local treats". I would love to run across the road and see what's over there, what are the prices on snack items so I bring enough cash...we don't usually take much cash since there has never been a place to go and spend it where we've stayed before.

Okay, maybe I should've been a little more clear. The cars that were slowing down were not slowing because we were crossing the street. We were just walking on the shoulder like the locals. We love the people in Jamaica! LOVE them! They are so kind but we were told by some of the staff that it was safer to stay on the resort. I am not trying to be predjudice at all...just trying to be safe. When the locals tell you it's a good idea to stay put you kind of take their word for it. But this trip we wanted to experience more of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by gish24 View Post
    Another question I just thought of Last time we were at CSA we ran across the street to a gas station to get some local treats. It seemed a little shady (cars slowing down as soon as we left the safety of the guards). This prevented us from walking around outside of the resort. Has anyone done this? Is there much to see outside of CSA? Is it safe? Thanks again!
    have you ever walked the length of long bay ? or kicked around the west end for an afternoon?.. As nice as csa and cn are. Experience the area outside and judge for yourself ... not sure what town you live in but i have to believe the same rules apply
    use common sence
    daylight tends to be " safer " then 2 am
    avoid flashing bling and cash
    avoid being drop down drunk
    be respectful and tolerent of local protocol....
    enjoy it

It's very safe to leave the resort in Negril. I go out, alone, every day to visit people who live in the area.
    The biggest danger in that area is getting hit by a car, so just look in the proper direction before crossing.

The cars that were slowing down were Route ( and non-licensed ) Taxis slowing looking to see if you wanted a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    The resort we have stayed at in the past didn't have any place like this to get "local treats". I would love to run across the road and see what's over there, what are the prices on snack items so I bring enough cash...we don't usually take much cash since there has never been a place to go and spend it where we've stayed before.
    It was just like a gas station here in the states but instead of Snickers and HoHo's there were local things. My boyfriend really wanted to try bulla which was a really dense cake (it was in a wrapper similar to a Honey Bun) and some cheese. So we ventured across the street...the people in the store were really nice. The cost was the same as junk food in the US...a couple bucks. It was worth it!

That small shop is great, I rented a scooter and ventured out. Locals are looking for income both honestly and by tricky someone so just say no thank you and continue.I was in the D.R. took one step off resort and about 20 cars stopped I ran back into the resort and grabbed a cab. Use the Juta cars. Carry small money be street smart.

Yes, by all get off the resort a bit. Just do as others have already suggested and you'll be just fine. Remember that they drive on the left so your street crossing instincts are backwards, if you come from America. I wish we had route taxis here.

If you get the hankerin' to wander off resort, do it safely. At SweptAway, walking along Norman Manley takes nerves of steel and eyes of a hawk. I wouldn't suggest it, but if you develop a bit of savvy, you can hail a red-tagged cab (route taxi), negotiate a price to where you want to go (or to the next stop... like a bus), then enjoy your time off campus.

If you'd rather walk, I'd suggest strolling the beach toward Negril. Lots to see and do, smells, flavors, shops, etc. Highly recommend it, but as others have said, mind your p's and q's... don't be an ugly American.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

There are two jerk shacks on Manly that you can get to by walking the road, and yes, it's safe. From the old lobby, cross the street and turn right. Ossies is a hundred feet in front of you. Best of the West is less than a 1/4 mile past them.

Seven Mile Beach also provides the best path for meeting the locals. There are jerk shacks, bars, and souvenir vendors the entire way. Again, it's safe to walk it and if you go, (turn left from CSA if you're facing the water) you'll want to make it to Bourbon Beach - about 2 miles. Some of the best jerk chicken on the island.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I strongly agree. Walking the beach is a great way to experience a taste of Negril away from the resort. Lots of places to stop and eat, drink, shop or what ever. Be careful of being talked into buying something you don't really want. There are some persistent "salesmen" along the way. A polite "no thanks" and walk away with a smile is sufficient to convince them you are not interested in their trinkets or other wares. It is quite fun to walk the beach in Negril.